VIOFO VS1 FIRMWARE / Update (2024-06-26)

they forgot to mention in the change log, support for the new BTR200 button. there's now a new setting for changing the button's actions

Change Log for V1.1_240618
  1. IQ optimized
  2. Increase the G-sensor sensitivity on the High option
  3. Added 21:9 resolution recording
  4. Add support for new Wireless Bluetooth Remote Control
  5. Added a function to turn off the device by pressing the “Microphone” button three times.
  6. Fix other bugs

Last edited:
May be, for some users an option of switching the device off will be usefull. It was added as a feature to a new firmware.
In order to switch the device off you need press the button "Mic" three times.

I tried to flash the new firmware earlier but it doesn't work. The LED flickers a few times and then nothing happens.
it doesn't work with another card either.
The same happens with the old firmware. What else can I try.

I tried to flash the new firmware earlier but it doesn't work. The LED flickers a few times and then nothing happens.
it doesn't work with another card either.
The same happens with the old firmware. What else can I try.
Try taking a memory card up to 32 GB, format it in your computer in FAT32 and update VS1 from it.

that's exactly what I did, but it still doesn't work. The firmware update should be quick and then a reboot will take place. Is that right?

that's exactly what I did, but it still doesn't work. The firmware update should be quick and then a reboot will take place. Is that right?
I didn’t measure how fast... 30-60 seconds...
Yes, there will be a reboot after the update.

@kantonburg (i can't quote for some reason) - "function to turn off the device with 3 microphone button clicks"? that's really good. have you tested this?

@kantonburg (i can't quote for some reason) - "function to turn off the device with 3 microphone button clicks"? that's really good. have you tested this?
I just tried the 3 quick microphone button presses and it did turn off the VS1. There is no button press to turn the VS1 back on when it has been turned off in this manner. I turned off the accessory power to the HK5 and then I turned on the accessory power to the HK5 and the VS1 power up again.

I just tried the 3 quick microphone button presses and it did turn off the VS1. There is no button press to turn the VS1 back on when it has been turned off in this manner. I turned off the accessory power to the HK5 and then I turned on the accessory power to the HK5 and the VS1 power up again.
It's good that the camera has an option to turn it off. I have previously mentioned that this feature can be turned off with an additional sound notification.
21:9 resolution was added with the latest update.
Hopefully LED shutdown options will be added in the near future. Voice notification level should be added.
The camera should be able to be turned off with voice command. It is then opened by pressing any key. The camera can be restarted with the HK5 or when you turn the ignition on.
I think it would be better if it was turned off via voice command. @viofo @VIOFO-Support

The camera should be able to be turned off with voice command.

I politely disagree for this reason.
I have found that the voice recognition while I think works great, it does occasionally think I said something but it may have been a passenger or the radio and the camera responds.
I don't want the camera shutting down because it processed the spoken word incorrectly.
In a perfect world, sure I would agree.

Even Siri (Apple iPhone) stuffs up my requests. SMS message can really become entertaining lol.

While in the car testing a dashcam and replaying its video I have had on numerous occasions the running dashcam hear the replayed video and taken that action!
It can't distinguish a human over a recording of a human. (Neither can I really.)

I have found that the voice recognition while I think works great, it does occasionally think I said something but it may have been a passenger or the radio and the camera responds.
I don't want the camera shutting down because it processed the spoken word incorrectly.

Even Siri (Apple iPhone) stuffs up my requests. SMS message can really become entertaining lol.

While in the car testing a dashcam and replaying its video I have had on numerous occasions the running dashcam hear the replayed video and taken that action!
It can't distinguish a human over a recording of a human. (Neither can I really.)

Your post reminds me of a story that happened with a friend of mine using Dragon dictation software. He paused from what he was doing when his dog started barking and he finally got the dog to calm down. Then when he looked back at his computer screen it had responded to the dog's barking by typing out some gibberish that suddenly turned into a couple of sentences that actually made some kind of sense in dog logic and sounded pretty funny.

Your post reminds me of a story that happened with a friend of mine using Dragon dictation software. He paused from what he was doing when his dog started barking and he finally got the dog to calm down. Then when he looked back at his computer screen it had responded to the dog's barking by typing out some gibberish that suddenly turned into a couple of sentences that actually made some kind of sense in dog logic and sounded pretty funny.
One night as I was leaving work late a found a college at the other end of the office trying to get his compaq computer to respond to his words. lol

And of course this took me straight to here. I loved that show.

One night as I was leaving work late a found a college at the other end of the office trying to get his compaq computer to respond to his words. lol

And of course this took me straight to here. I loved that show.

With all the British TV programming we get here that one never made it to the US AFAIK Seems like funny stuff! I've always really enjoyed Chris Dowd in other series I've seen.

I've spent a lot of time yelling at my dash cams but that was back before they had voice recognition so they never did anything but record my rantings. :smuggrin:

Last edited:

We can produce alternative solutions.

The notification that appears from your camera's video at the time of the test you mentioned or your commands are situations that only the testers will encounter. What matters is the end user.

If for any reason we detect a wrong command and the camera turns off, we give a voice notification saying "camera is turning off" before the camera turns off and we understand that the camera is turned off.

other solution:
"turn off camera" command
If the camera detects this notification, a sound notification will come from the camera; "Will the camera be turned off?"
The command is waited again and waits for your response within 5 seconds. By saying "yes or no", the camera is prevented from turning off unintentionally. or if it doesn't get a yes answer, the camera won't turn off.

As a result, if a camera has a voice command feature, it should be used.
Also, I have not received any wrong commands so far in my use of voice commands. But that doesn't mean he won't accept it as you say.
we'll wait and see. @viofo @VIOFO-Support

Last edited:
Also, I have not received any wrong commands so far in my use of voice commands. But that doesn't mean he won't accept it as you say.
Interesting.
Does your DVR differentiate your voice from the voice on the radio? Do you never talk on speakerphone in your car?
I also tested voice control.
For the DVR to understand them more or less, there must be complete silence in the car. No talking, no music.
I can't drive in complete silence. So voice control is not for me.
All familiar users, and there are a lot of them, consider voice control a useless function.

i think the new functionally of the BT button provides a good solution (or maybe it's a workaround) for turning off the camera.
I wouldn't mind as well a voice command for turning off the camera, but on the other hand, can anyone promise me this won't turn off the camera by mistake, just when i really need the recording...?

Interesting.
Does your DVR differentiate your voice from the voice on the radio? Do you never talk on speakerphone in your car?
I also tested voice control.
For the DVR to understand them more or less, there must be complete silence in the car. No talking, no music.
I can't drive in complete silence. So voice control is not for me.
All familiar users, and there are a lot of them, consider voice control a useless function.
Frankly, I don't think it's necessary to constantly try to look for something underneath. Yes, you and many users may have encountered this situation. This does not mean that I have encountered it too. So there will also be silent users. And of course, it is possible to have problems giving voice commands in a loud environment.
I think all my suggestions can be useful in terms of functionality and providing a good option for extra features.
If you already think that the voice command does not work, your voice command means off. And it means that it has features that will be enjoyed by those who want to use it and have no problems.

My aim is to produce alternative solutions. It is not a matter of looking for problems other than the part that needs to be underlined.

There is nothing more normal than having different opinions and different experiences. But this does not mean that it will not be the same.
I don't look at the tests that you watch or do as just the tester. I think it would be better to act with user-oriented thinking.
So, I think you have noticed that image satisfaction varies depending on the slope of the vehicle's windshield, the illumination of the road driven, whether the headlight type is LED or halogen, whether a filter is used or not, whether there are clouds in the sky, whether there is a moon at night or not.
That's why I care about your opinions. Viofo will also care about this and we will watch the result together.
Of course, we are all users. And no camera is perfect now and won't be in the future. But this does not mean that there will not be expectations, suggestions, problems and solutions.

respects.

Frankly, I don't think it's necessary to constantly try to look for something underneath. Yes, you and many users may have encountered this situation. This does not mean that I have encountered it too. So there will also be silent users. And of course, it is possible to have problems giving voice commands in a loud environment.
I think all my suggestions can be useful in terms of functionality and providing a good option for extra features.
If you already think that the voice command does not work, your voice command means off. And it means that it has features that will be enjoyed by those who want to use it and have no problems.

My aim is to produce alternative solutions. It is not a matter of looking for problems other than the part that needs to be underlined.

There is nothing more normal than having different opinions and different experiences. But this does not mean that it will not be the same.
I don't look at the tests that you watch or do as just the tester. I think it would be better to act with user-oriented thinking.
So, I think you have noticed that image satisfaction varies depending on the slope of the vehicle's windshield, the illumination of the road driven, whether the headlight type is LED or halogen, whether a filter is used or not, whether there are clouds in the sky, whether there is a moon at night or not.
That's why I care about your opinions. Viofo will also care about this and we will watch the result together.
Of course, we are all users. And no camera is perfect now and won't be in the future. But this does not mean that there will not be expectations, suggestions, problems and solutions.

respects.
No one is specifically looking for anything negative in the operation of voice control. The point is that at the moment it does not work as it should. And if the command is misunderstood, at a certain point it can cause trouble.
I am not basing this solely on my personal observations. For example, on the Russian forum for 4pda video recorders, the majority of users of models with voice control have disabled this function. Because the DVR performs too many actions arbitrarily, without any commands (Song on the radio. Talking on the phone).
Some command executions are accompanied by interruption of recording, and this can lead to the loss of an important moment in the recording.

Back