VIOFO VS1 - Testing / Review - RCG

rcg530

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue, Thinkware, VIOFO, Vantrue, Blueskysea, FineVu
I've been testing the VS1 over the past several months. I created a quick overview video of the VS1. I'm waiting to create the full review video until I get a "production" unit with production firmware. A couple of the viewers of my quick overview video had asked for a size comparison of the VS1 with the A119 Mini 2 and the WM1. I created a few a side-by-side comparison pics and individual dash camera measurement pics.

vs1_a119min2_wm1_size_pics_dct0.pngvs1_a119min2_wm1_size_pics_dct1.pngvs1_a119min2_wm1_size_pics_dct2.pngvs1_a119min2_wm1_size_pics_dct3.pngvs1_a119min2_wm1_size_pics_dct4.pngvs1_a119min2_wm1_size_pics_dct5.png

When you get the production VS1, and you remount it on the windshield next to the A119 Mini 2, can you snap a few photos, (mounted side by side).
Not interested in the WM1.

Here are the unboxing pics from my quick overview video.

vs1_unboxing_v2_01.pngvs1_unboxing_v2_02.pngvs1_unboxing_v2_03.pngvs1_unboxing_v2_04.pngvs1_unboxing_v2_05.pngvs1_unboxing_v2_06.pngvs1_unboxing_v2_07.pngvs1_unboxing_v2_08.png

When you get the production VS1, and you remount it on the windshield next to the A119 Mini 2, can you snap a few photos, (mounted side by side).
Not interested in the WM1.
Not production units, but you can see the VS1 mounted next to the A119 Mini 2.

vs1_in_car_01.pngvs1_in_car_02.pngvs1_in_car_03.pngvs1_in_car_04.png

Last edited:
Here are the unboxing pics from my quick overview video.
Seems like Viofo might be switching to a new packaging style?
No more foam around the camera but instead plastic and a different, not white design for the box anymore.

My current firmware exhibits an obvious colour shift, particularly skies, plus is over sharpened.

I'm awaiting the next FW update from Alex.

Paul.

I now have a production VS1 dash camera. I performed my power consumption test suite using the production unit with firmware v1.0_240105 installed. I found there was a interesting/noticeable difference in the amount of power consumed by the VS1 while in normal recording mode with HDR enabled, so I expanded my parking mode tests to test with HDR on and HDR off.

I discovered two issues in the v1.0_240105 firmware that VIOFO has told me they will work on fixing after the CNY break in late February.
  • Firmware v1.0_240105
    • Immediately after entering AED parking mode, the VS1 will falsely “detect” an impact event or motion event has taken place
      • I first noticed this when I had “HDR On” in the firmware settings, but I later found that it happens with “HDR Off”
      • As soon the VS1 enters AED parking mode and with no motion or impact events taking place, it will create a 35 second recording for “no reason”.
        • Some of these recordings are impact event recordings and the VS1 announces “Video protected”
        • Some are not impact recordings.
          • I can see the <REC> LED remain on steadily just after it enters AED parking mode and then it starts blinking as it should while it’s waiting for a triggering event
    • Parking G-sensor
      • The default value for this setting is “High” and that’s what I have it set to during my tests.
      • I’ve found that the amount of force required to trigger an impact is like a major earthquake.
      • I must flick the side of the VS1’s case with my finger with a large amount of force to get the VS1 to detect an impact event has occurred.
      • I’ve never had to be that aggressive with any other VIOFO dash camera to trigger an impact event.
Power Consumption Test Results

viofo_vs1_power_consumption_v10_240105_20240202.png viofo_vs1_time_estimates_v10_240105_20240202.png

I now have a production VS1 dash camera.
Does your production unit have the factory installed CPL Filter?
This looks more power hungry than the WM1, and about the same as the A119 Mini 2.
Let me go look at the figures for those cameras.

Does your production unit have the factory installed CPL Filter?
This looks more power hungry than the WM1, and about the same as the A119 Mini 2.
Let me go look at the figures for those cameras.
The VS1 does not have a CPL filter...

Viofo might be switching to a new packaging style
As long as it is not black plastic, CUZ automate soring machines can not see black plastic, that is why all black plastic trays like you find meat on ASO in the shops here in Denmark are changing to green i believe.
CUZ then machines can see it and it can be sorted and reused.

In the place where it was planned to install the СPL filter, was a simple glass installed?

In the second photo...
Yes, it's simple glass in that location. I'm still waiting on VIOFO to let me know more details or send me a CPL filter to try on the VS1.

Back