Viofo WM1 Test & Review PP

Thanks everyone.

New to the forum, having owned several Viofo dash cams, and been generally pleased with them. Thanks for the discussion on the WM1, since I'm considering buying one. A couple questions if I may.

Firstly, does this record in H.265 by default or do you have to press the MIC button? If the MIC button is not pressed I presume it records in H.264. There seems to be nothing in the downloaded manual about video codecs.

Secondly, as one or two have said, I'm not keen either on the fixed 12V car charger without the option to use a USB input as with several other Viofo cams. My car's 12V accessory outlets are permanently hot but the USB outlets are switched, so I was wondering if a converter like this would work with the WM1:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01J67JIOQ
Thanks.

Night time test footage.
2560 x 1440 30fps
Bitrate: Maximum 28Mbps
No CPL Filter
Firmware: V1.0_0324
Exposure: 0.0 (default)
WDR: OFF (default)

Firstly, does this record in H.265 by default or do you have to press the MIC button? If the MIC button is not pressed I presume it records in H.264. There seems to be nothing in the downloaded manual about video codecs.

Daytime test footage.
2560 x 1440 30fps
Bitrate: Maximum 28Mbps
CPL Filter: On
Firmware: V1.0_0324
Exposure: 0.0 (default)
WDR: OFF (default)

My WM1 review.
The camera was supplied by Viofo.
-Chuck
I am using the wm1 as a rear camera which is perfect. Its small and runs cool. I use the a119 mini for the front. I was going to switch out the wire and charger for the wm1 but its only ran to the outlet in my trunk so not that big of a deal to swap out later. I figured Id wait till the stock one dies. I can tell you for some reason an Anker Powerline III USB C to USB C Charger Cable 100W 2.0 will not power on either camera. Only reason I can think of is maybe the version 2.0 cable doesn't have some of the pins the camera requires. Stock charger for the mini I swapped out to a Motorola TurboPower Car Charger - 45W Dual Port USB-A and USB-C with stock wire for the mini and no issues. If I ever need to change the rear charger I just have to see if I can find a 10ft cable 3.1 or newer to see if it powers it on. The other addition I added to the wm1 because I constantly removing my cameras from my car was a magnetic adapter for usb c port. I always worry I will wear out the port and this one works perfectly www.amazon.com/dp/B0BYWP9Z7P

Attachments

• 61VDnntlF-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    61VDnntlF-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 1
Ever since I finished testing the WM1 two months ago I put it back in the box, and it’s been sitting in my closet.
I think I found a use for it.
My home State has mandatory biennial Emission Inspections, (Smog Check).
Next month I have to take my car into the shop to have this test performed.
I figured why not install the WM1 under the hood to keep an eye on the mechanic while he’s working on my car.
Here’s what it might look like.
-Chuck

Last edited:
I always disable all 5 of my dash cameras when I take my vehicle to the shop or go for my yearly safety and emissions inspection. I trust the guys who work on my truck and I know it makes them uncomfortable to discover that a customer has a dash cam spying on them as they go about their work. It creates an adversarial relationship instead of a friendly, trusting, collaborative one. I wouldn't like anyone spying on me when I'm working.

New firmware update available on the public website V1.1_0602;
Parking mode is restored.
Yay! I finally beat @Karagandinez
Lmao.

Attachments

• IMG_0023.PNG
    IMG_0023.PNG
    168.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I found my all time favorite mounting location for my WM1.
Under the hood in my engine bay.
I took my car for its biennial State Emission Inspection for registration renewal.
So, of course I filmed it. Lol
@BlackboxMyCar @viofo

Here’s a short 1 minute clip from the WM1;

Here is the full length video;

I had never considered mounting the WM1 in the engine bay XD. I suppose with smaller and smaller cameras, we can get more and more creative with mounting. I'd be interested in seeing exactly what it looks like in there, and if it's discrete.

Mr Singh really rocking that bandana.

Thanks, Grayson

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Panzer Platform WM1 6
Boattail WM1 3
rcg530 WM1 18
Karagandinez WM1 26
DashCamMan WM1 79
Back