Vortex Radar, thanks for your latest brainstorm

That could, yeah. I’ve gotten a surpassing number of comments with people suggesting HDMI adapters and custom mounts.

I recently found a dual lens dashcam that is designed to operate this way out of the box so I’m gonna try that.

The more I think about this though, I’m not sure a telephoto is necessary. We’re not cops trying to capture every single plate that goes by. If there’s a hit and run, we want that plate for sure, but at some point they’re going to be close to us as they begin speeding away.

So the telephoto is really just there to compensate for times when the main cam misses getting the plate for whatever reason.

The more I think about this though, I’m not sure a telephoto is necessary. We’re not cops trying to capture every single plate that goes by. If there’s a hit and run, we want that plate for sure, but at some point they’re going to be close to us as they begin speeding away.

So the telephoto is really just there to compensate for times when the main cam misses getting the plate for whatever reason.

I'm not quite sure I agree VR. My experience with telephoto dash cams is that they do far more than simply capture license plates. Between my traditional dash cam and the telephoto it is often the telephoto that tells the full story. For example, on several occasions when I've had near misses with bad drivers it was the telephoto that clearly captured the driver on their cell phone not even looking at where they were going.

My screen capture examples you used in your video offer an example of this when the telephoto shows the driver and passenger crossing the intersection in great detail, enough to identify them personally, whereas they are barely visible in the standard dash cam view of the same frame. So basically, the telephoto lens captured every detail of the vehicle in the intersection including a clear shot of the license plate and definitive images of the two people in the truck. The traditional camera more or less missed that.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure I agree VR. My experience with telephoto dash cams is that they do far more than simply capture license plates. Between my traditional dash cam and the telephoto it is often the telephoto that tells the full story. For example, on several occasions when I've had near misses with bad drivers it was the telephoto that clearly captured the driver on their cell phone not even looking at where they were going.

My screen capture examples you used in your video offer an example of this when the telephoto shows the driver and passenger crossing the intersection in great detail, enough to identify them personally, whereas they are barely visible in the standard dash cam view of the same frame. So basically, the telephoto lens captured every detail of the vehicle in the intersection including a clear shot of the license plate and definitive images of the two people in the truck. The traditional camera more or less missed that.
Ooh that’s a great example! It makes sense. Thanks for sharing your real world experience and feedback. :)

Ooh that’s a great example! It makes sense. Thanks for sharing your real world experience and feedback. :)

Some further examples of a telephoto equipped Mobius telling the story.

Traffic was moving slowly, but moving.

Receiving a call on her phone...... (good make, model and plate capture)
varifocal_1.jpg

Now not watching the road at all while texting.

varifocal_3.jpg

Still looking at her phone but now she's got both hands off the steering wheel! :arghh:

Where I live it is illegal to use a hand held device while driving. Big fines if caught doing this. Even worse if you have an accident using a phone while driving.

varifocal_2.jpg

Last edited:
Back