VS1 as rear camera?

cozzykim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a VS1 direct from Viofo and received it today.
So far, I've updated the firmware and I already feel like it's a big upgrade in video quality and usability over my previous glitchy Nextbase 322GW with additional rear facing camera.
The rear camera connector on the 322 would only connect properly with the additional untidy camera mount and extension cable, and I'd get an intermittent white rear view and camera freezes.

I have a 981 BoxsterS, so 322GW with the rear camera on the windscreen had a very narrow field of view through the small convertible window and wind deflector.

To get to the point: I tried the VS1 positioned where it could be mounted on, and looking through, the deflector.
The view is much better and wider than the previous camera, and the ability to configure the 2nd camera as mirror image etc in the app and switch between the two cameras seems to be ideal.
Its small size is a major benefit for this.

Is anyone using a second VS1 as a rear camera and have any comments or issues?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum :)

The VS1 is new, so there are not many people using it at the rear yet. There has been some discussion about rear use, but normally with another front camera, typically a 4K front, and some people end up with the A119 Mini 2 instead since the image quality is a little better. (Nothing wrong with the VS1 image quality though.)

Some photos of your install might be interesting if you actually mount one for a rear view...

I've just bought a VS1 direct from Viofo and received it today.
So far, I've updated the firmware and I already feel like it's a big upgrade in video quality and usability over my previous glitchy Nextbase 322GW with additional rear facing camera.
The rear camera connector on the 322 would only connect properly with the additional untidy camera mount and extension cable, and I'd get an intermittent white rear view and camera freezes.

I have a 981 BoxsterS, so 322GW with the rear camera on the windscreen had a very narrow field of view through the small convertible window and wind deflector.

To get to the point: I tried the VS1 positioned where it could be mounted on, and looking through, the deflector.
The view is much better and wider than the previous camera, and the ability to configure the 2nd camera as mirror image etc in the app and switch between the two cameras seems to be ideal.
Its small size is a major benefit for this.

Thanks
I have VS1 installed in front. Here in the photo:
But that's it for now. When I have time and the mood, I will move it to the back door. I think he will be better there. ;)

Welcome to the forum :)

The VS1 is new, so there are not many people using it at the rear yet. There has been some discussion about rear use, but normally with another front camera, typically a 4K front, and some people end up with the A119 Mini 2 instead since the image quality is a little better. (Nothing wrong with the VS1 image quality though.)

Some photos of your install might be interesting if you actually mount one for a rear view...

Thanks for the welcome. (y)

The Boxster is a difficult vehicle for any rear camera, as there's nothing behind the seats except the firewall, and nowhere to easily mount a camera.
At the moment, mine also only has a mesh wind deflector, so I'd have to buy a glass or plastic one first if I want to mount the camera on the deflector.
Then I have to check whether the camera will get knocked off as the roof front edge passes the deflector when it's opened/closed. I'd then have to mount it looking through the glass rather than behind it.
I'm hoping for a solution that will allow me to flip the camera (or mount it on the other face of the deflector) for a bird's eye view of the whole ****pit for windy roads etc.
The ability to rotate and/or mirror the video image makes this an exciting possibility for some good driving video as well as standard dashcam footage.
Handily, there's a 12V socket for a USB adaptor in the console armrest directly below the deflector, so that should be the easy part. :unsure:

How about a ball joint mount if you want lots of adjustability, and stick the VS1 to the ball joint mount as shown here:

I'm not recommending the suction cup, but I don't know what you can mount to. Sometimes you can clamp to roll hoops in open top cars, they tend to be vibration free, so a good place to mount to.

Tends to be easiest to mount to the windscreen looking backwards, but the cabin view from behind is a good one for making road movies.

There was another Boxster thread recently asking about the VS1, but only for the front, seems you don't have a lot of space for big dashcams!

How about a ball joint mount if you want lots of adjustability, and stick the VS1 to the ball joint mount as shown here:

I'm not recommending the suction cup, but I don't know what you can mount to. Sometimes you can clamp to roll hoops in open top cars, they tend to be vibration free, so a good place to mount to.

Tends to be easiest to mount to the windscreen looking backwards, but the cabin view from behind is a good one for making road movies.

There was another Boxster thread recently asking about the VS1, but only for the front, seems you don't have a lot of space for big dashcams!
They're both interesting threads, thanks.
Regardless of the mount/position I'll have to buy a clear deflector first to replace the standard mesh, so I'm looking at that next.

In my case, I chose the VS1 for the Starvis2 sensor at the lowest price and smallest, most discreet, position in the car. It's only when I offered it up as a rear camera that I thought, this will do a good job for rear/****pit due to its simple flippable mount design.
I'm pretty confident that it'll be a good solution.

I've just bought a 2nd VS1 direct from Viofo...

£84 :love:

Bargain IMHO.
Complete with high quality memory card worth £15.83, so that makes the camera price £68.17!

Yes, a bargain, for a dash camera with close to the best nighttime video quality available.

So, I now have my two VS1s in my car and they seem to work well.

I definitely need CPLs for both, as there are lots of internal reflections.

@VIOFO-Support, would it be possible to look into whether the app could be modified to allow a toggle to switch between the two Viofo WiFi SSIDs, so that either front or rear camera can be viewed on the app without having to manually disconnect/reconnect with the other SSID?

So, I now have my two VS1s in my car and they seem to work well.

I definitely need CPLs for both, as there are lots of internal reflections.

@VIOFO-Support, would it be possible to look into whether the app could be modified to allow a toggle to switch between the two Viofo WiFi SSIDs, so that either front or rear camera can be viewed on the app without having to manually disconnect/reconnect with the other SSID?
So sorry that two wifi cannot be connected simultaneously, so you still need to disconnect and reconnect to use another wifi.

So sorry that two wifi cannot be connected simultaneously, so you still need to disconnect and reconnect to use another wifi.
Thank you, yes, I am aware that I can not connect to two SSIDs simultaneously. There are two separate WiFi SSIDs.

What I am asking is technically possible as my phone remembers both SSIDs, is to have two tick boxes in the app to switch between the two SSIDs instead of having to always go into the phone settings

LIke this:

1. ViofoSSID1
  2. ViofoSSID2

Thank you, yes, I am aware that I can not connect to two SSIDs simultaneously. There are two separate WiFi SSIDs.

What I am asking is technically possible as my phone remembers both SSIDs, is to have two tick boxes in the app to switch between the two SSIDs instead of having to always go into the phone settings

LIke this:

1. ViofoSSID1
  2. ViofoSSID2
The app won't help here. The phone connects to one of the DVRs even without an application, and the phone, not the application,
is responsible for connecting to another DVR. Therefore, you need to contact the phone manufacturer to make a Wi-Fi connection
to several addresses at once, and then in the application you can choose which model you want to see first.

You're right of course, I hadn't thought that through, dohhh.
There is a fundamental problem!

But it is possible to make it work, it is just not going to be a quick change, it will probably need a new version of the App.
Worth adding to the wish lists, so that Viofo don't forget to think about putting it in the next App version...

There is a fundamental problem!

But it is possible to make it work, it is just not going to be a quick change, it will probably need a new version of the App.
Worth adding to the wish lists, so that Viofo don't forget to think about putting it in the next App version...
The only way I can think it might work is if the app can turn off/start the individual camera WiFi SSIDs, to allow the phone to automatically connect to the other one.
That would then mean that the first SSID can't be restarted, as there's no way to connect to it.
Maybe I haven't thought this through correctly either though, lol

The Boxster is a difficult vehicle for any rear camera, as there's nothing behind the seats except the firewall, and nowhere to easily mount a camera.

The VS1 camera's image can be flipped 180º and it can be reversed (mirrored) if needed. You may be able to mount the camera directly on the rear deck of your car, right behind the seats.

The only way I can think it might work is if the app can turn off/start the individual camera WiFi SSIDs, to allow the phone to automatically connect to the other one.
That would then mean that the first SSID can't be restarted, as there's no way to connect to it.
Maybe I haven't thought this through correctly either though, lol
There are several ways it could work. For example, there is no need to have multiple networks within one car, networks were designed to have multiple data paths, not be point to point communication!

The VS1 camera's image can be flipped 180º and it can be reversed (mirrored) if needed. You may be able to mount the camera directly on the rear deck of your car, right behind the seats.

The 981 Boxster doesn't have a rear deck as such. The roof folds down directly behind the firewall/bulkhead.

Sorry for the big post. You can see why I need CPL filters.

This is the rear camera:

View from rear camera:

Front camera:

PXL-20240417-102637258.jpg

View from front camera:

20240417112611-000005.jpg

I use mine on a new Rav4 Hybrid. Wired it up and it's working well in the back window. No complaints. I have a119 mini 2 in front. Just connect to whatever I need and so far, so good.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J VS1 21
Back