Viofo A119 Mini 2 or VS1

MikeDV

Reaction score
Country
United States
Am considering the above models in a Porsche Boxster. I really like the size of the VS1, and don't need a display, but am concerned about potential glare from the beige dash in the car, and that the VS1 does not have an available CPL filter.

Would I be better off getting the A119 Mini 2 since the lens on it would be closer to the glass than on the VS1 that hangs straight down?

Welcome to the club.
Even if Viofo releases a CPL Filter for the VS1, based on what I’ve seen so far I think the A119 Mini 2 has better overall image quality.
Keep in mind, I have not tested the VS1 yet, and there is an image quality firmware update coming soon.
Also there is no power button on the VS1, (critical design flaw in my opinion).
Since the cameras are only $110 & $115 on Amazon US why don’t you buy both, and test them side by side?
Right now the VS1 has a promotional free HK5 hardwire kit, ($19).
-Chuck

Attachments

• A119 Mini 2 .png
    A119 Mini 2 .png
    169.1 KB · Views: 3
  • VS1 .png
    VS1 .png
    157.5 KB · Views: 3
but am concerned about potential glare from the beige dash in the car, and that the VS1 does not have an available CPL filter.
I imagine a beige dash would show up rather well on a dashcam!
But maybe it is well designed and doesn't - if the dashcam can see the reflection then your eyes should also be able to see it, if you put your eyes in the same position, so you can check if there will be an issue... a scan of youtube suggests that there will be reflections visible.

I'm pretty sure a CPL for the VS1 will arrive fairly soon, but if not then you could buy some linear polarising sheet, and stick a bit on the front of the VS1.

The Mini 2 will have slightly better image quality, it has a better processor and a little more bitrate, and it is quite small, but the VS1 does seem to be giving good images in the videos I've seen, so if it fits your car better then go for it.

Am considering the above models in a Porsche Boxster. I really like the size of the VS1, and don't need a display, but am concerned about potential glare from the beige dash in the car, and that the VS1 does not have an available CPL filter.

Would I be better off getting the A119 Mini 2 since the lens on it would be closer to the glass than on the VS1 that hangs straight down?
The CPL for the VS1 will be released soon.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies, this is great feedback!

An optional CPL will be released soon for VS1.

Hi MikeDV,

Have you thought of purchasing a dash mat for your Porsche?
Various colours available....such as black.

I have one (Dark Grey), in my Hyundai Sportswagon & get no reflections at all.

A very good read as i have narrowed down both these models for my first dashcam, and both on sale at a similar price on the Viofo website.
It´s just narrowing down which would position better on my Kona Electric windscreen, as my needs are simply to record incidents and i´m a low mileage user.

Welcome to the club.
Even if Viofo releases a CPL Filter for the VS1, based on what I’ve seen so far I think the A119 Mini 2 has better overall image quality.
Keep in mind, I have not tested the VS1 yet, and there is an image quality firmware update coming soon.
Also there is no power button on the VS1, (critical design flaw in my opinion).
Since the cameras are only $110 & $115 on Amazon US why don’t you buy both, and test them side by side?
Right now the VS1 has a promotional free HK5 hardwire kit, ($19).
-Chuck

Wow that video clearly shows that on the A119, the plates can be read much clearer on zoom.

Wow that video clearly shows that on the A119, the plates can be read much clearer on zoom.
True for the ones in the distance on the left in daylight.
Not much difference at night in most cases.
The VS1 quite often wins on the ones straight ahead, especially in bright daylight. (You need to pause the video and zoom for yourself, not many of those are shown zoomed!)

The VS1 has less bitrate, so it is recording less detail, and has difficulty matching the A119 when going fast under trees during daylight.
If you pause the video and look at the plates that get close enough for an accident, rather than relying on the choice of distant zoomed plates then the VS1 is doing pretty well, especially at night.

Ultimately the A119 Mini 2 wins on image quality and plate capture, but it is the more expensive camera, so not surprising. If you are only needing the camera for accident footage of things that get close enough to hit you, then the VS1 is a perfectly good accident camera. If you like to report bad driving to the police, then it is worth looking at a 4K resolution camera, but they are more expensive.

That is what I'm trying to wrap head around, they are both the same price, bar a couple of quid.
I would be happy with the VS1, but with the A119 Mini 2 the same price would i be a fool not to go for the latter.

Last edited:
Back