Warning: recording stickers in the UK

Paul Iddon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A139 Pro 4K, A129 Pro Duo 4K, A229 Duo 2K, & NB 522GW
Someone has asked if this is likely to mean that even private cars should have warnings they use dashcams? The 4th point being the relevant one in question...

Screenshot_20211123-094918_Messenger.png

Last edited:
Someone has asked if this is likely to mean that even private cars should have warnings they use dashcams? The 3rs point being the relevant one in question...
I assume you mean the 4th point?

The answer is no for private vehicles, as covered by this entry: https://gosafe.org/faq/operation-sn...nd-then-to-submit-this-footage-to-the-police/
Dashcam footage falls under the category of CCTV if you are using it for work purposes.

If you have a dashcam that you use for work purposes on a vehicle that you use for work, then you are likely to need to register and pay a data protection fee to the ICO unless you are exempt. This is because the use of the dashcam in or on your vehicle for work purposes will not be considered as ‘domestic’ and therefore not exempt from data protection laws.

If you are capturing images of individual’s purely as a personal or household activity, with no connection to a professional or commercial activity, it is outside the UK GDPR’s scope.

If you are using the vehicle for work purposes, you will need to:

Let people know you are using a dashcam, by putting up signs saying that recording is taking place

Ensure you don’t capture more footage than you need to achieve your purpose in using the dashcam

Ensure the security of the footage you capture, by holding it securely and making sure nobody can watch it without good reason

Only keep the footage for as long as you need it, delete it regularly, and when it is no longer needed

Ensure the dashcam is only operated in ways you intend and can’t be misused for other reasons.

Anyone you share your property with, such as family members who could use the equipment, needs to know the importance of not misusing it.

For further advice around your data protection responsibilities of using a dashcam you can contact the Force Data Protection department, or the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).

Yea, 4th Tony. :)

That's cool, I wanted clarification for him for operation snap.

Paul.

UK couldn't enforce a potato

I assume you mean the 4th point?

The answer is no for private vehicles, as covered by this entry: https://gosafe.org/faq/operation-sn...nd-then-to-submit-this-footage-to-the-police/

If you are capturing images of individual’s purely as a personal or household activity, with no connection to a professional or commercial activity, it is outside the UK GDPR’s scope.
1.) What if you're a part-time Uber or Lyft driver with a front/rear dashcam (not an interior facing one) or a retiree who does Uber/Lyft once a week/month to let time go past by (similar to how you see 70 year old serving as greeters at stores to keep themselves busy)? You need this sticker even though you are only recording the exterior?
Would they make the distinction that "Well, you are technically working the moment you turned on the Uber app and/or when you picked a passenger up" vs "this is my personal car and the dashcam is always automatically on whenever the ignition on and the vehicle is in motion regardless of whether or not I'm picking up a passenger/have the Uber app on"?

2.) What if you're a hobbyist(meaning you do this for fun and have a full-time job elsewhere) that reviews or beta test dashcams/firmware and upload the video to your own YouTube channel which gets ads or monetized?
Can someone like TonyM, the Russian dashcam modders, or any random casual beta-tester or reviewer here on Dashcamtalk that has a YouTube channel be caught up in this if they're either making money from the ads being run on the videos?
What about a YouTube video that has affiliate links, $$$ off purchase price/coupon codes, and so on?

There could be some holes to this thing, but it seems that as long as money is involved in anyway, shape, or fashion; this can go against you?

Similar to what @Lothar is saying,

making sure nobody can watch it without good reason

The above section makes it seem like posting to YouTube is out of question even if you aren't monetizing the video.

2.) What if you're a hobbyist(meaning you do this for fun and have a full-time job elsewhere) that reviews or beta test dashcams/firmware and upload the video to your own YouTube channel which gets ads or monetized?
Can someone like TonyM, the Russian dashcam modders, or any random casual beta-tester or reviewer here on Dashcamtalk that has a YouTube channel be caught up in this if they're either making money from the ads being run on the videos?
What about a YouTube video that has affiliate links, $$$ off purchase price/coupon codes, and so on?
I don't make any money from casually posting on YT. Didn't know it was even possible.

making sure nobody can watch it without good reason

The above section makes it seem like posting to YouTube is out of question even if you aren't monetizing the video.
Only if you are using the vehicle for work purposes.

It seems I missed the following statement when I initially read through your other post:

“If you are using the vehicle for work purposes, you will need to:”

I don't make any money from casually posting on YT. Didn't know it was even possible.
I know you personally don't.
Someone with your vast experience in reviewing/testing dashcams certainly could though if you wanted to. There is a lot of room in this space.

Yes, I'm sure it's possible for one to do it casually or as a hobby and then once you reach a certain number of subscriptions, or a certain number of people watch your videos things go from there.
MKBHD (smartphone/gadget reviewer), YouTube credit card reviewers, and many others do it and started from somewhere.
AdSense, brand deals, affiliate links, $$$ off purchase price/coupon codes, and so on...?

Now of course unlike cellphones, there are not as many dashcam gadgets being released yearly (most reputable companies here will probably only release 1-2 dashcams a year), so this could still be a permanent hobby thing and not necessarily ever lead to a full-time gig.
I wonder if someone like @Vortex Radar was a UK citizen, he'd be affected? They might determine that even if this is a hobby/personal use and you may even have a full-time gig doing something else, there is commercial involvement(AdSense, brand deals, affiliate links, $$$ off purchase price/coupon codes, or whatever) somehow and this law may apply to him.

Sounds like a barely-transparent excuse to collect a fee...

Most businesses are already registered since they need to be registered in order to store any personal data, which nearly all businesses do.

It is not strictly necessary for work purposes. You can ignore it if you use your dashcam only to record accidents, not for recording crimes, and if you also decide that your dashcam is not recording any personal information. The personal information bit is a grey area, so most legal experts will advise for registration, since most businesses are already registered and adding an extra item doesn't really cost anything, but you are not recording everybody's name and address, and the number plates do not identify individuals, only vehicles, so it is difficult to see what personal information is being intentionally recorded and it is highly unlikely that you would ever be prosecuted for not registering. Of course businesses still need to display a CCTV sticker, clearly visible at eye level, if they want to conform to the CCTV guidelines, but I think they are only guidelines.

I know you personally don't.
Someone with your vast experience in reviewing/testing dashcams certainly could though if you wanted to. There is a lot of room in this space.
There is no way you can get people watching your YouTube channel daily just by posting dashcam reviews! And if you only get people returning monthly then you don't make enough from YouTube for it to be worth setting up the advertising. The few people that do will probably no more than pay the costs, and so not actually make any money out of it.

Most businesses are already registered since they need to be registered in order to store any personal data, which nearly all businesses do.
I really don't think this is true.

Wow crazy

Back