Way to determine TRUE mexapixels that camera makes?

Well I am not asking about video quality or anything, just photo megapixels :) I do not think its as bad as you describe it, but I yet have to test it for few days. For now I just hope someone can help me with photography and megapixels.

I tried on manufacturers website as well, but was unable to find out.
In my personal opnion,I do not believe they will use a gernuine 20M sensor for such low end chipset,even Ambarella A7LS75 only use 16MP CMOS sensor.
And especually,for such low price,cost is low and could not be equiped with 20M sensor at all.
I judge it as a gimmick.
You may check the photo resolution via Photoshop( I could not download dropbox file,it is blocked here)
Still had better ask the manufacturer what sensor on earth that they adopted,it is faster to know the answer

Well one way may be to draw a grid on a large sheet of paper with decreasing distance between rows and columns, make a video of it with your cam and with another cam with known sensor and compare the two; at least you'll get the ballpark figure. I so presume the ability of your camera to capture small details is what's important to you, yes?

Well one way may be to draw a grid on a large sheet of paper with decreasing distance between rows and columns, make a video of it with your cam and with another cam with known sensor and compare the two; at least you'll get the ballpark figure. I so presume the ability of your camera to capture small details is what's important to you, yes?
Good suggestion,but in that way, To get a more exact result,need have an upper CMOS sensor and a lower CMOS sensor camera to judge so as to understand the tested cameras is in which range.

Yes of course for an estimate two cameras would be needed. Not necessarily dashcams; a mobile phone camera or a conventional digital camera will do too.

I highly doubt the 20mp claim also

I am not buying a 20mp story either, that is why I opened this topic, to determine true number of MP.

Thanks for the suggestion, I am not quite sure if I want to do something like this, but if there is no other way I might.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I thought that there might be a software or something to make this easier. I assume I will contact Sunplus and ask about chipset specs. Seams like the most reliable way.

For those that use this chipset that don't hide the details you only see it mentioned with the usual suspects, OV2710, AR0330 etc, nothing out of the ordinary seems to get a mention

If you use photo-editing programs like Picasa 3 or Photoscape, click on a photo and it will tell you just below the photo how many pixels were used to make the image.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Action Camera Discussion 44
Back