Weird app behavior with 512GB card

I set 5 minute videos on mine to avoid the big delay listing the files.

maybe the files from the 4th onwards are now over written and only the 7th exist on the card

I set 5 minute videos on mine to avoid the big delay listing the files.

I am doing 3 minute files

maybe the files from the 4th onwards are now over written and only the 7th exist on the card

The latest files are 7/2. Anything later than that is on the card but will not download to the app. The app has only downloaded the most recent once and that was when I first put in the 256 card and then only for the first 2 days then is would not send the latest files to the phone.

bob

I am doing 3 minute files

The latest files are 7/2. Anything later than that is on the card but will not download to the app. The app has only downloaded the most recent once and that was when I first put in the 256 card and then only for the first 2 days then is would not send the latest files to the phone.

bob

Did you check your DCIM/Viofo folder on your phone? I noticed that the app will check if a file with the same name already exists in that folder and if yes, will refuse to download (without any error). I found this when I started to download a video and my phone switched WiFi forcing the download to terminate. It wouldn't let me download the file again until I deleted the corrupted one from the above mentioned folder.

Did you check your DCIM/Viofo folder on your phone? I noticed that the app will check if a file with the same name already exists in that folder and if yes, will refuse to download (without any error). I found this when I started to download a video and my phone switched WiFi forcing the download to terminate. It wouldn't let me download the file again until I deleted the corrupted one from the above mentioned folder.

Thanks for the suggestion. The Viofo folder in my phone DCIM is empty. I am going to put the 128 card with the firmware sent by support into the cam today and see what it does. I already am using that firmware but will reload it.

bob

bob
I'm a bit confused. You say that files after 7/2 (that I understand to be 2nd July) are on the card. So at the risk of asking a dumb question, how do you know that?

^^^^^^

I pulled the card and tried it in my laptop. I now have a 128 card, the firmware support sent me loaded so we will hopefully have some good results when I travel tomorrow.

bob

Over the last few years I've been noting the problem reports posted about a lot of different brands. This has given me an insight into common failure themes for a lot of owners.

It seems to me that multi channel setups are less reliable than a single channel dashcam. My feeling is that 2 or more dashcams simultaneously writing to one SDcard is potentially risky.
Another issue is very large cards. I guess this is for owners who don't frequently offload the footage so the card is being allowed to fill up and start the risky overwrite process.
How many times have I read about a dashcam being fitted and ignored until footage is needed and isn't there.

I pulled the card and tried it in my laptop. I now have a 128 card, the firmware support sent me loaded so we will hopefully have some good results when I travel tomorrow.

On your laptop, were the videos that had been created after 2nd July viewable though not recognised by the app? It would help to know because if the camera was recording and storing video as you expected, then the issue is file management and the interface to the app. I have this problem whereby some videos that should be protected (ie stored in RO folder) aren't, but they are physically on the card. I have raised this with Viofo, and I can live with it knowing the video files are recorded if not necessarily where they should be under the sd card file structure. If the video wasn't recorded at all, then that is fatal to a product such as this.

Over the last few years I've been noting the problem reports posted about a lot of different brands. This has given me an insight into common failure themes for a lot of owners.

It seems to me that multi channel setups are less reliable than a single channel dashcam. My feeling is that 2 or more dashcams simultaneously writing to one SDcard is potentially risky.
Another issue is very large cards. I guess this is for owners who don't frequently offload the footage so the card is being allowed to fill up and start the risky overwrite process.
How many times have I read about a dashcam being fitted and ignored until footage is needed and isn't there.
I bought my 2-channel system a couple of months ago, but there is no way that I consider it to be a fully-developed fit-and-forget system. Over the last few decades we have accepted that firmware updates are legitimate, but for safety-critical devices the need for firmware updates tells you that the device has been brought to market prematurely. The system should have the innate capability to function with its original firmware, and if not there or there is a hardware fault then there should be bells and whistles to tell you it has failed. But that isn't going to happen in an after-market consumer product, where the marketing is all about camera quality not assurance of the video image when you need it. So from my point of view, we're all beta testers. Not ideal. But still worth dabbling with.

Back