WF1 - No thanks!!!

Milamber

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
A129 Pro Duo
If your one for a barrel rolling lens that has a 0.5% chance of reading number plates, whilst giving the impression your vehicle is going to fall off the road then this camera might be for you! Check this:

Last edited by a moderator:

Last edited by a moderator:
Phew!!! So it looks normal after all!

Milamber said:
Phew!!! So it looks normal after all!

for whatever reason I'm not sure but it looks like it's mounted outside the vehicle in the first video, would be buffeting like crazy used like that, not surprised it doesn't look great

its mega angled and projected to take entire front.

so if you mount on wrong position will be mess

Worst demo video ever, it's nearly pointed at the ground in the first video! LoL

I have to agree the 160 degree FOV might be over kill though even when aimed straight ahead correctly.

I think 135-145 is the best compromise.

I guess if you mount any dash cam too high, pointing down as in first video, - you will have similar strong overkilled fish-eye effect. From second video I can see OK result. So there is nothing wrong with new Vico dash cam.
I think 160 degree diagonal lens are fine if dash cam pointing as it usually should be, horizontally forward. For example Panorama2 lens 154 videos are OK to watch.
Of course it would be good if special software implemented, which straightens fish-eye effect, but this technology is complicated and I think not every CPU is able to process it at same time inside dash cam.

LOL @ that 1st video. The angle is ridiculous and I'd imagine all the wind noise in the mic, making audio useless while moving. The 2nd video looks really good, I like how sharp the image is and for 160-degree lens it's surprisingly not "overkill".

LOL @ that 1st video. The angle is ridiculous and I'd imagine all the wind noise in the mic, making audio useless while moving. The 2nd video looks really good, I like how sharp the image is and for 160-degree lens it's surprisingly not "overkill".

Those are old videos too. Vicovation have since increased bitrate and processing quality in the latest WF1 firmwares. I'll post some of my own videos soon.

Those are old videos too. Vicovation have since increased bitrate and processing quality in the latest WF1 firmwares. I'll post some of my own videos soon.

Good point.
First of all old videos, but most important ( first video ) - is wrong dash camera moun positioning, causing crazy fish-eye effect. In real life FOV is almost same as on Panorama2 ( 154 degree ) and which has been proven ( in my opinion ) to be one of the best FOV if you need wide angle. Some dash cams I tested having ultra-wide angle of 170-175 horizontal, - they are too much, 130-140 diagonal is OK, but still some time you feel something is missing. I find that 1545 ( panorama2 ) or 160 Vico WF1, - should be golden middle from so called "ultra-wide" FOV lens dash cams. Of course there are some draw-back coming from using wide FOV, ( objects are slightly furthure ), but if good quality lens used along with quality CMOS, CPU and fine tuned firmware, - then this should not be a trouble to read vital data we need ( nubmerplates ).

I'll just wait for that one before I judge this camera.

I'll just wait for that one before I judge this camera.

I have blob of sap I can't scrub off that in the line of sight of my WF1.
I'm on the way to the hardware store soon to get some razor blades and goo-gone so the lens finally has a clear view. (for a proper recording)

Hi JazJon,

If you have any questions about the WF1 or if we can do anything to help, please do not hesitate to contact us!

We believe the WF1 is one of the best cameras we have seen/tested for this range. We are looking forward to your review! Your efforts are appreciated.

We have also passed on your ' wish-list ' for future firmware updates to the right person, thank you for your honest opinions.

Hope to hear from you soon

-----------------

DASHCAMS.AUSTRALIA

EMAIL: info@dashcamsaustralia.com.au

PHONE: 1-800-763-575

I'll post some of my own videos soon.
JazJon the videos have been great, but could you go a little more in depth about the Vico Viewer side of things? I keep reading that you can watch the camera as it records through WiFi. This is a big feature for me that is really pushing me to buy one. I have an android device but i am guessing it works the same on iOS.

How well does the live feed work?
About how far away can you get? Across the street? just outside your garage? Just inside your house?
You said you could not directly put the video into editing software, but you can save it to your device correct?

Thanks

JazJon the videos have been great, but could you go a little more in depth about the Vico Viewer side of things? I keep reading that you can watch the camera as it records through WiFi. This is a big feature for me that is really pushing me to buy one. I have an android device but i am guessing it works the same on iOS.

How well does the live feed work?
About how far away can you get? Across the street? just outside your garage? Just inside your house?
You said you could not directly put the video into editing software, but you can save it to your device correct?

Thanks

There is a bug that prevents iPhone 5S users from being able to change settings via vicoviewer. I confirmed it works fine via my fiends iPad. Support has acknowledged the problem and will come out with an update soon. As soon as that update is out I can do a proper review I don't want to review it before I can showcase the complete action. Stand by :)

Try this, take the video collected from a WF1, play it on a 3D TV, use 2D to 3D converter built-in.

I did that yesterday and it looked AWESOME! well, minus some of the lines, but it felt like I was driving, seriously!

Try this, take the video collected from a WF1, play it on a 3D TV, use 2D to 3D converter built-in.

I did that yesterday and it looked AWESOME! well, minus some of the lines, but it felt like I was driving, seriously!

Sounds fun, I didn't bother buying a 3D TV yet, was waiting for the Glasses free ones to come out first :)

Oh it is! I am on passive 3D... as I wear glasses... it was seriously interesting, I'd only wish there is a 3D dash cam... LOL

Back