What cheap cameras have motion detection?

Shadowy

Reaction score
Country
Finland
What is some cheap 720p camera which has motion detection?
I need motion detection and 720+ quality to see licence plates of hit&run on parking lots.
I don't care about quality as it's for rear-view, as long as I can read licence plates within 1-5m distance from the camera.

Also, which seller do you trust on eBay?
Shipping to my country costs about 20€-80€ so I get it way cheaper from eBay rather than some retailer in another country.

What's your budget? Blacksys CF-100 is the cheapest cam I know with a buffered motion detection.

What's your budget? Blacksys CF-100 is the cheapest cam I know with a buffered motion detection.
Cheapest Blacksys CF-100 I can find is 59.99€ for item and 9.95€ shipping on eBay. Seller has 99.6% Positive feedback.

Cheapest ones Google found from my country are:
880-DVR 38.90€
S-Vision Compact C6 49,90€
Blaupumkt BP 1.0 Full-HD 69,00€

How does those 3 compare to the Blacksys CF-100?

720p isn't going to give great results, it's not something you usually find with the features you're after either, you'd do better to spend a bit more if you want something that works, Mobius (probably the A lens version) with a larger card would be a much better option, get the capacitor kit if you intend to leave it running, all of these battery cameras you're looking at are a liability

720p may be OK with slow moving objects, but you never know how fast hit and run will accrue and usually 720p dashcam are not that great at night. HD cameras are now in the past, why not looking for proper FullHD ?
Good dashcamera used for recording while driving may cost around 100-200 ( 250? ) eur from good reputable local reseller with 2y EU warranty. However to have additional function of proper motion detection algorithm recording while parked with pre-buffer recording and good night sensitivity going to cost you extra 100 euro. So for proper parking monitoring you have to prepare to pay almost double the minimum price of non-parking mode dascham. Is it worth ? It's all depends how much you prepare to lose when not catching hit-and-run guy who may cause few thousand of damage to your car.

The Papago GS110 worked better than most with motion detection, and night video.
It still may not work out well in long term parking situations, overnight or working hours would probably be ok. It's not the tiniest cam, but I think you can turn off the LCD display at least.

The Papago GS110 worked better than most with motion detection, and night video.
It still may not work out well in long term parking situations, overnight or working hours would probably be ok. It's not the tiniest cam, but I think you can turn off the LCD display at least.

better build quality than the others he's been looking at also

Seriously, if you are looking for a cheap camera with motion detection about euro $20-80? I think it doesn't record anything (may record but you can see nothing due to the bad quality) and may have opportunity to damage your car battery.

with that budget, I think dash cam with just a G sensor but not motion detection will be very reasonable for quality and price.

Just give you a friendly remind for you to understand the purpose of a dash camera is up to 70-80% in order to protect yourself or your car, not a reasonable price decoration. However, just think for a long term investment, you want a stable return or giving you potential risks.

Papago may help you in many ways. one choice above is very suitable like the Papago GS110.

720p may be OK with slow moving objects, but you never know how fast hit and run will accrue and usually 720p dashcam are not that great at night. HD cameras are now in the past, why not looking for proper FullHD ?
Good dashcamera used for recording while driving may cost around 100-200 ( 250? ) eur from good reputable local reseller with 2y EU warranty. However to have additional function of proper motion detection algorithm recording while parked with pre-buffer recording and good night sensitivity going to cost you extra 100 euro. So for proper parking monitoring you have to prepare to pay almost double the minimum price of non-parking mode dascham. Is it worth ? It's all depends how much you prepare to lose when not catching hit-and-run guy who may cause few thousand of damage to your car.
Only if I had a car worth of thousands it would make sense but I don't have one of those.

My current rear-view camera is some no-brand 27€ from China via eBay and even at 480p I can read licence plates 1m or 2m away just fine. It just doesn't have motion detection so...
Example video clip from 480p: youtu.be /8QjmFiy5-f0?t=2m31s

My front-view camera is ~180€ so I don't really want to spend more than that for not important rear-view camera.
My budget is about 20€-100€ for rear-view camera.

I do think my car was hit pretty fast for it swing this wide, see attachment for image.
And that is my home parking lot, not some mall!
Even color and model of the offender would help in this case, licence plate isn't everything!

Attachments

• 20160220_164645.jpg
    20160220_164645.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 7
Uh....how often is your car covered with snow?

Not sure any camera will penetrate a few inches of snow. :)

The standard response is to use a home security camera to watch your car parked at home.

Uh....how often is your car covered with snow?

Not sure any camera will penetrate a few inches of snow. :)

The standard response is to use a home security camera to watch your car parked at home.
When it snows?;)

Can't install any security cameras if you live in aparment building..:(

But I would clean it off daily of course.

Yes, but if you had a window facing the parking area, that may be better than going out every night it snows to keep the snow off the car.
(I live where it snows maybe once a winter....I wouldn't get my butt out of bed to do it.)
:)

Yes, but if you had a window facing the parking area, that may be better than going out every night it snows to keep the snow off the car.
(I live where it snows maybe once a winter....I wouldn't get my butt out of bed to do it.)
No such luck unfortunately.
Windows are facing the other way.

It may be simpler to move?

When I did live in a snowy area, I had a fifth floor apartment facing the street, and a favorite parking place near the corner of the block, under my window. I could look out my window and see my car down there.
One night I got home late for work and 'my parking spot' was taken, had to park half a block away. I was mad, but not so mad a few hours later when I heard a crash, and looked out the window to see a car had slid on the snow through the intersection, and hit the car that was in 'my space'.

No weather cam block out a lot, at least on my 1080p IP camera, often fog is so thick that within the 25 M between my camera and car i can hardly make out the car, and here i am not talking about pea soup fog, just regular fog levels.
Allso when it snow ( not super much just regular snow falling nice and easy ) its the same problem, rain allso block the view but i have not noticed to what degree thats a problem.

weather can allso mess with the auto focus on my cheapo IP camera, but to fight that i can turn it to manual focus if i wish to.
192.168.1.100-CAM_1-2016-01-08-07-05-30_big_thumb.jpg

BTW i live in apartment block, and yes my ip camera is highly illigal, as is just about 80% of all cctv cameras in Denmark.
And still ppl come forward with ther footage, for instance in the "terror" attack in Copenhagen last year where 7 of 10 videos was from illigal cameras, and no one have been given a warning or fine.

Back