What dashcam model are you waiting to order?

well by default, it auto saves a video every 3 minutes. So the footage leading up to it would be there, in the normal file(s). I'm not sure how the button works, but I assume it works with the currently active (3-5 minute) video that is in the process of being saved, and just closes/moves it?

Correct, the issue is if you don't remove the card , swap cards, and allow the camera to loop the card, that footage will be erased.

In my opinion, the option to include prior footage is paramount. I ordered the Street Guardian based on the fact that firmware update is in the works. If not, the camera supports 256gb cards and thats a huge plus.

I too use mental notes on events i want to save, but that do fail me at times, off course just mundane stuff i am talking about, i am sure if i was rammed i would have no problem finding that event again.
But some guy running a red light sometimes it slip my memory and i cant remember when it happened when i get home, and i cant be bothered to go thru all of the footage so i just let it slide.
I think with coming cameras i will try and use the event button, but G-sensor and so on remain off unless i am testing those features.

Im not too bothered if its a serious event i will probably not be driving anymore in that car anyway, so might as well retrieve memory card right then and there.

Well good news, I just spoke with Street Guardian and they are working on a firmware update for the v3 to allow user adjustable settings for saving footage at a set length of time upto when you press the record button.

This feature should be on ALL dashcams.

Looking forward to it.

maybe there was some misunderstanding somewhere, not sure where that info came from but it's not something that is supported and I don't believe it could be done on this platform

Well good news, I just spoke with Street Guardian and they are working on a firmware update for the v3 to allow user adjustable settings for saving footage at a set length of time upto when you press the record button.

This feature should be on ALL dashcams.

Looking forward to it.

Hello, what I meant was there are some potential ideas to give more options for how the event save button works and what happens but the exact details on what's possible isn't set yet. It all depends on what the latest updated Novatek SDK allows but something extra for event saves is hopefully doable in 2017, we'll see. For now use a large memory card, and have a spare card to pop in to be extra sure something is saved if you can't get to it for an extended period of time.

True, but I've never understood how you can record an incident without having footage leading up to it. If the parking lot sensor trips and starts recording, you see the aftermath which may be better than nothing, but the few seconds prior would be essential.

Several dashcams have that button so it locks the current file and previous file so they cant be overwritten.

If you have a big enough SD card you'll have plenty of time before it gets overwritten.

Several dashcams have that button so it locks the current file and previous file so they cant be overwritten.

If you have a big enough SD card you'll have plenty of time before it gets overwritten.

it's easier to do on the Ambarella platform, a lot more work on Novatek as it's not something that is supported in the current SDK

My next cam will have to have higher resolution. 1080p is not enough especially with the wide angle lenses on today's cameras.

Reactions: Mtz
My next cam will have to have higher resolution. 1080p is not enough especially with the wide angle lenses on today's cameras.

Higher than 1080P means smaller pixels and less light being captured so night performance is a challenge.

Higher than 1080P means smaller pixels and less light being captured so night performance is a challenge.
Not necessarily. The technology has been around for a while. Just look at footage from today smartphones.

today's smartphones have more graphics processing power than some recent PC's
I agree. Today's dashcams have mediocre lenses, sensors and underpowered CPUs.
I will take one of the "big boys" :) to make a high spec dashcam for reasonable price.

I agree. Today's dashcams have mediocre lenses, sensors and underpowered CPUs.
I will take one of the "big boys" :) to make a high spec dashcam for reasonable price.

if they decide to do it they will most likely do more of the same and charge you a premium for their name

legends tell of a long lost 2 channel street guardian system, possibly even two models. They may be just a myth, but one can always dream.

:D

I would pay for bigger sensors and more glass. Also a user configurable iso/exposure would be appreciated. Like the PASM settings on a photocamera.
I find exposure times generally too large and would like to tune down the motion blur.

Back