Compatibility of VIOFO A129 Pro Duo's Hardware Kit with Newer Dashcam Models

Milamber

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
A129 Pro Duo
I own a VIOFO A129 Pro Duo and am currently having it installed in a new vehicle. However, I plan to buy a different camera in the coming months but need the installation completed immediately. My question is whether the existing hardware kit can be used with newer VIOFO dashcam models. Is it compatible? Can I keep the current hardware kit in the new vehicle and simply connect the power cables to a new dashcam? This would prevent the need for the installer to do the job twice.

Is it compatible?
No.
And no.
You will need to buy the “new” USB Type-C HK4, (A129 Pro 4K Duo is USB-mini).
It was also upgraded last with thicker wires 24AWG to 20AWG to “provide more current capability”.
-Chuck

Screenshot 2024-02-10 2.07.04 AM.png

It would be possible to install the newest Hardwire kit and then temporarily power the A129 Pro via a USB Type-C to mini USB converter. Not sure if the ACC/parking mode signal would work, might depend on the converter, but it would allow use while driving without having to reinstall cables later.

The rear camera and rear camera cable are also not compatible, so you may want to hold off on installing those.
And the GPS module will need replacing.

The A229 Pro is a recommended upgrade, and its recommended hardwire kit will power all the newer Viofo dashcams (all USB Type -C).

I don't recommend using a converter to power the newer dashcams, although it may work fine for single channel use.

It would be possible to install the newest Hardwire kit and then temporarily power the A129 Pro via a USB Type-C to mini USB converter. Not sure if the ACC/parking mode signal would work, might depend on the converter, but it would allow use while driving without having to reinstall cables later.

The rear camera and rear camera cable are also not compatible, so you may want to hold off on installing those.
And the GPS module will need replacing.

The A229 Pro is a recommended upgrade, and its recommended hardwire kit will power all the newer Viofo dashcams (all USB Type -C).

I don't recommend using a converter to power the newer dashcams, although it may work fine for sing

le channel use.
I am using a usb C to mini usb adapter on my A229 plus 2 channel with no problems so far. I will upgrade to the HK4 wiring kit as soon as Viofo restock the mini fuse tap.

Edit :
At the moment i am using the Street Guardian wiring which has the mini usb connection

Back