What I like garmin 55,for first dashcam

John Moloney

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all
I'm after my first dashcam for my work Ute, I've read many reviews, till my head spins. I've looked at the garmin 55 and like everything I see it has for the price, but I'm pretty sure it's run by batteries not a capacitater, which seems to be a no no and that worries me, plus confuses me. I'm in a temperate part of Australia,I'm just after some thoughts about this, also if batteries fail, can they be replaced etc all help appreciated, I'm very green at this
Cheers john

Battery cams are OK in more temperate places, but as heat goes up battery life shortens, sometimes drastically. I had one swell and go bad in about 3 months while folks in cooler places can get 2-3+ years out of them. If you decide on a battery cam first see if replacement batteries are available and more importantly that they can be shipped to your location. Of recent times many companies no longer ship lithium batteries to places that they once did, and a direct inquiry is wise as some have not updated their sales or shipping pages to reflect that. Many batteries are soldered in so replacement may not be DIY but any TV/Computer repair shop can handle that for very little cost.

So a question: how hot does it get where you are? And can you always park in shaded places during the worst of the summer heat?

I might be wrong, but I understand Garmin is basically a re-badged MiVue which makes some pretty good cams and some cheaper low-res ones. The Garmins seem to be the good stuff but I know little of them since they're pretty new.

And welcome to DCT :D
Phil

Many thanks Phil, for your information, we had several days over 40 Celsius, damn hot and shade is not always an option unfortunately. It does seem it would be better to go the other way, without batteries, thanks.
I just liked what that model garmin offered
Regards john

There are a number of capacitor powered cams which can serve you well- it's the only viable option for many of us and many manufacturers seem to have taken note of this as there are more cap-powered cam models being marketed than ever before :)

Make a short list of cam features that you want, then see what you've got to choose among within your budget. I'm sure you'll find something you'll like ;)

Phil

It seems that the magnetic mount makes it very easy to remove the cam from windshield and put it in a glove box. Remember, no camera or other device is rated for Australian summer temperatures...

Most cams can be easily converted to a DIY magnetic mounting scheme for just a few $$$ without permanently altering cam or car. That's why so few manufacturer's offer it ;)

Phil

Phil after reading up on here, I'm leaning towards the blackvue Dr 450, ticks a lot of boxes and has the capacitater, do any of these units, have WiFi (blackvue) front facing camera
Cheers john

Remember, no camera or other device is rated for Australian summer temperatures

Peeps in Tasmania would disagree but in Darwin where your 1200 Marines just arrived will go mental with the heat/humidity and even more so when off duty but we wont be afraid to lock you up if a bit too mental ;)

Phil
Think I've found the answer, I like the blackvue drs650s, 1 channel. Seems to tick all the boxes,
John

Seems to be a good cam from what I've read about it. I think you'll like it :)

Phil

Back