What is the best camera for recording the front and rear passengers? but cheap. - details inside.

nir

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Dash Cam
Mobius (B,C2, maxi)
I need a camera that will record the driver and the front passenger and all 3 rear passengers.
Placing it high above the rear view mirror and points to the rear.
It doesn't have to be super high quality video output. I just need a nice camera (even 480p) to work well in the dark for a distance of about 1-2m \ 3-6ft.
Probably a camera with IR lights\IR Leds - but not a white or yellow lights that will "blind" me.
Must be cheap, less then 50$.
The reason is to have an evidence that the driver and all passengers are wearing the seatbelts.
Now i have a cheap (and probably a fake) i1000\f70 place over the rear view mirror. the day time recording is nice and i can see the whole cabin, but at night i can't see anything.

If there is a cheap camera with a capacitor (without a battery) it will be even better. But if not, its fine.
And its got to be small.
Possibly the c600 with the IR leds pointing to the cabin will work?

Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?

think you either need to raise your budget or lower your expectations, appreciate that you might not feel you are able to justify (or afford) the extra expense but $50 isn't going to do it

buy cheap, buy often

I don't need HD quality.
640x480 is good enough for my requirements.
That is the reason for the low price i want.
The cheap cameras (like the c600) with IR leds in the front are worth anything?

Time is money and you will spend more than you know with frustration on ultra low end budget cameras. Take it from the experts it's not worth it. If it's important you capture the moment of truth you need something that will at least actually work for more than a few weeks

"The best" considering the limitations..
I'm sure that there is a camera under 50$ that records in a reasonably nice quality (not the best of course, don't need HD) 3-6ft at poor lighting conditions.
I remember that 2.5-3 years ago i saw a youtube review on a cheap camera with IR leds that actually record the cabin at the dark. I remember that the video was quite purple.
So there are several out there in the budget.

C600 have a heat problem (at least mine have) when placed inside a car parked in the sun (25ºc dont need more) the camera image will became blurry

even in cold weather, after 30 minutes of recording the camera temperature will be enough to have blurry images :(

I have read more reports about this on the c600 i dont know if my unit was defective or there are fake c600, but before i buy mine a see very nice review videos on youtube.

After reading a lot in the forum every one says forget about the IR leds have no use its just cosmetic

This seems a pretty good choice.
It had a lot of IR lights and a wide angle lens and 720p. But it seems to start skipping and jerking after a while though.

Reactions: nir
efcm, thank you for the info about the c600.
After reading a lot in the forum every one says forget about the IR leds have no use its just cosmetic
The IR leds are useful only at close distance, 3ft or so. so it's fine by me because this is what i need. I will record the inside cabin and not the road.

Anyone has another suggestions like the camera that Xybone offered me?

edit:
I searched YouTube for a bit, i found this:
This is the direction that i want to go after.
Cheap camera that records IR but the IR is not visable to the driver or passengers.
I will make my one IR led lighting board and connect it to the camera electricity (according to the voltage and stuff) with these leds:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/380963314610
Anyone knows about a cheap and small camera that record IR? like the camera that Xybone offered me at post #8 ?

Last edited:
I'm about to make an IR led board to use with my i1000/f70 camera in the cabin.
I've Already made a custom mini usb cable with 5v out for the ir leds connection. I will make the led board as soon i will get them from china (about a month).
Some pictures of the adapter with 5v out i made: (only need to solder and heat shrink - soon)
http://i.imgur.com/3xX78Gc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tGbAZjN.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8IgjStn.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/AkdAaYP.jpg

I don't know why, but i can't "upload a file" using this feature ("upload a file" button).

Something like this but much smaller:

Last edited:
the pictures are small in resolution and space.
only about 20kb and less than 500x500.

never mind, i will upload them to an image upload sharing site.

ok, is it just that your camera's sensor can pick up the light? Or do human eyes detect it as well?

you can't see the purple light - human eyes can see only a slight red light on the leds "heads" but you can't see the lighted area and you are not taking the light dazzling in your face.
only when you look at it from the camera (my cellphone in this case) you can see it.

Another question
These IR lights are dangerous for the eyes?
I don't think so as they use them on the baby monitor cameras and they wouldn't be allowed to sell them if there was any danger?

We just use a Foscam one as it was better spec and cheaper than the baby cams and works great!

It's all about IR wave length.
Anything with a wavelength around 900nm or longer should be invisible.

Most common ones used in "invisible" CCTV are 940 nm LEDs - invisible to human eye.

Invisible IR LED shows no Red Glow on the tip of LED, Completely Stealthed to Human Eyes for Best Night Surveillance

The 840 nm LEDs tend to be barely visible.

Back