What should I buy that is small, discreet but does its job right?

dashcam1

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am looking for a small one with small screen and discreet not bulky. I will be using it in my own private camry car for every day use and also in rental cars. I do drive outside the states and coming back home is a problem sometimes even when I am crime free law abiding US citizen. The border patrol agent can be abusive and I would like to record audio and video of any incident at the border crossing check point. I don't know if i need single or dual len. I would like one that can record front and left drivers side too. I did some research and found G1W or
A118 on amazon. But I don't know how good they are and if I need something different
Any advice on make and model number is highly appreciated!

If you're trying to record border agents or crossings both cameras listed are too obvious and easily detected. I would say the A118 is better if your stuck on those two. I had a similar problem of needing the camera to be completely hidden out of the country and I used the Mobius due to its size and the ease of concealing it.

what's the model number you are suggesting and the specs? it is dual lens, can record front and left and very small and easy to mount on rental cars?

I'm suggesting the Mobius

You can find a ton of info here on the support thread. Its the size of a Tic Tac box, very reliable, sharp video, good night performance and a good mic. It doesn't have screen, with an OTG cable you can change settings, live view and view files on the go. It comes in two lens choices: A lens is more natural and the B lens is the wide angle.

Here you can search many different mounting options. The Mobius has a lens extension option that can be used to hide the camera completely as this
image.jpg

how can you record and play the Mobious without any screen? just curious. is it dual len? dual len is where it record from 2 sides? wide angel means can capture videos wider?

Last edited:
It records to the SD card and you can play back either on your computer at home, use a wireless SD card reader or there is an Android App that you can connect to the Mobius via an OTG cable. I use a Kingston "Mobilelite" wireless card reader. https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00CEB5QU2You plug the SD card into the Mobilelite and it will create a wifi hotspot. You can connect using your smartphone or tablet and view or save the files.

It records to the SD card and you can play back either on your computer at home, use a wireless SD card reader or there is an Android App that you can connect to the Mobius via an OTG cable. I use a Kingston "Mobilelite" wireless card reader. https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00CEB5QU2You plug the SD card into the Mobilelite and it will create a wifi hotspot. You can connect using your smartphone or tablet and view or save the files.
can you tell me what is wide angel? and dual lens?

So the smallest one that takes good videos is Mini and the Mobius? Iam still looking for one that is small , discreet, takes clear and wide videos and mostly importantly easy to install and uninstall. I can put it in day when I drive and remove it at night or can use it in rental cars when I drive rental cars . Thanks

So the smallest one that takes good videos is Mini and the Mobius? Iam still looking for one that is small , discreet, takes clear and wide videos and mostly importantly easy to install and uninstall. I can put it in day when I drive and remove it at night or can use it in rental cars when I drive rental cars . Thanks
I'm going to say the Mobius is smaller and easier to take with you. The mini has a mount that doesn't make it easy to transplant into rental cars. The Mobius tripod mount is easy to either use a suction cup, adhesive or make your own.

Iam still looking for one that is small , discreet, takes clear and wide videos and mostly importantly easy to install and uninstall. I can use it in rental cars.

I recently used one of my Mobius B cams in a rental car on a 3 week USA fly-drive trip.

Didn't bother taking its cradle. Just attached it to the dashboard using two self adhesive pads (Sellotape Sticky Fixers). The supplied data cable was long enough to reach the accessory socket.

When parked unattended, I placed a newspaper over the Mobius to hide it from view.

At the end of the trip the adhesive pads detached from the dash leaving no residue. A quick & easy temporary setup that worked well for me.

any sellers link for the full mobius wider version package that includes everything? Don't want a fake one and I prefer Amazon or ebay. Thanks

You are advised to only buy your Mobius from a developer-verified source. The following web stores have been verified by the developer as selling the real Mobius camera, replacement parts and accessories with a commitment to customer satisfaction, both before and after a sale, if any problems are found when the hardware is put into service and not caused by user abuse, crash damage, etc. If parts are not listed on their sites, use their web site email contact link to request what you need. They will respond promptly with information of how to buy them. They all use direct PayPal payment. The China eBay sellers work directly with the developer and will usually have the lowest delivered prices. The other re-sellers may offer quicker delivery depending on your location.

Direct Sellers:

China: eletoponline365; digitalele889

Re-sellers:

China: Banggood; HobbyKing (Hong Kong)

U.S.: novotm (MA); Massive RC (FL); SPYTEC (NY); ReadyMadeRC (OH)

Europe:
Webbex (U.K.); JooVuu (U.K.); Mobius-Cam.com (NL); Revotech (CZ)

Prices can vary from one vendor to the other and depends on what is included in different accessory packages. The cost from the China eBay outlets will be nominally about $70 US with free shipping.

Non-verified sellers may be selling fake imitation cameras at seemingly bargain prices, and you should be wary of buying from them.
Tom a Frank who is one of the development team sells at BuyMobius.com and is on Amazon. I say skip Amazon, there is non more reliable and helpful than Tom. Second option is SpyTec, they sell on Amazon, eBay, their own website and physical store in NYC. Both are on the authorized seller list quoted above. Take some time to read the Mobius Support Thread here, it will give you all the answers you need and save some headaches.

How is the mobius when facing hot weather? Also does it have a parking mode?

How is the mobius when facing hot weather? Also does it have a parking mode?
No problems in the heat, just swap battery for super capacitors to be safe. It has Motion detect which works good. Depending on your settings it may pick up too much or too little. It's good, it's not the best

Tom a Frank who is one of the development team sells at BuyMobius.com and is on Amazon. I say skip Amazon, there is non more reliable and helpful than Tom. Second option is SpyTec, they sell on Amazon, eBay, their own website and physical store in NYC. Both are on the authorized seller list quoted above. Take some time to read the Mobius Support Thread here, it will give you all the answers you need and save some headaches.

is this a legit seller? https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00GPXYVQUis that the one with everything included? It shows $100. Hoping for the price to go down.

will wait for price to come down to $60 or $70. is it legal to keep it recording when a cop pulls you over or when you stop at a border patrol check point and talking with border patrol agent? Do I have to tell them you are being recorded? can they ask me to turn it off?

Thanks

I don't know if Mobius will be cheaper too soon except if buying from ebay chines official seller. The Mobius developer was selling also the 808 cameras for few years and I don't remember if he cut down the price.
Another option is Innovv C3 which have remote lens, but costs more.
But in my opinion the rearview mirror dashcams are the best to hide because nothing is stuck on the windshield. Pier28 is working on such camera.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back