What To Buy That Can Be Mounted Here?

David Watt

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I just bought a new car. My G1WC mount won't work in this car, so I'm going to treat myself to a new dashcam.

The rear view mirror has a nice cut out section that will accomodate a dashcam very nicely. I just need to figure out which one will fit in best. I'm trying to keep the camera discrete and out of the way.

Here is the mirror:

adfkFyOh.jpg

D0UYDSLh.jpg

I'm happy to make a custom mount to suit if needed. I can make something out of metal or something like that, and use double sided sticky pads.

I'm thinking maybe a Mobius would fit in very well as it's very slim. A small wedge shape bracket would be all that's required and would keep it very neat.

Or possibly the Viofo A119...?

I do still want something with good video quality. GPS doesn't matter to me.

Perhaps something like the BlackVue DR450 would also work well. It would stick straight onto that flat part of the mirror bracket. But it's less discrete.

The Mobius is the one I'm swaying towards...but I'm not 100% certain on video quality?

Any opinions are welcome :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
The video quality of the Mobius is ok. How wide is that plastic? I'd find it annoying to not be able to see the display of the A119 or other cam with a screen, even though you don't need it. :) I think bangood has some 3d printed plastic wedge mounts for the mobius that may work. somebody posted them here recently. Figuring out what degree of angle you need may be trial and error, but even one of the stick on adhesive mounts should have enough play to work.

Viofo A119

I second that. and personally, I haven't a need to look at the LCD since the initial alignment/setup and the occasional memory card formatting.

I never have success trying to stick mounts to the slightly textured plastics in cars - I use an adhesive mount plus one or two small screws.

Before finalising a cam position, take a picture from inside the car looking straight at the centre of the windscreen to see where, it any, reflections are and how they will intrude into a cam's view.

As for a cam: my vote goes to the Street Guardian SGZC12RC in this instance as long as reflections aren't going to spoil its view.

I have same problem like you :) I hate sensors on windscreen.

You can mount A119 on sensor plastic area.

Attachments

• alternate.jpg
    alternate.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 16
The cutout is roughly 8cm across and 6cm top to bottom.

I'm swinging towards the A119. it has good reviews, and has good video quality. PLus the thin wedge shape should fit in there nicely. It's longer than the cutout but not by a huge amount, so it should sit in there nicely.

The SG9665GC is thicker, but shorter, so it also might be an ideal fit. I'll mock something up with foam to the dimensions of the A119, the Mobius and the SG9665GC to see how they all sit in there. I like to see as little of the camera as possible when driving. I like it discrete and hidden away.

I don't need to see the screen, that doesn't bother me.

I've narrowed my choice down to the A119 or SG9665GC.

It's difficult to decide which one is better with video quality. Both seem good enough. Big price difference though!

I've narrowed my choice down to the A119 or SG9665GC.

It's difficult to decide which one is better with video quality. Both seem good enough. Big price difference though!

I would expect the SG is a class or two above the A119 at night.
Although I don't have a IMX322 vs OV4689 comparison available at the moment, I do have a IMX122 vs AR0330.
In low light the OV4689 is similar or maybe slightly superior to the AR0330 and the IMX322 is similar or slightly superior to the IMX122. As you can see from the screenshot comparison below, the AR0330 (top) is a couple of steps down in night performance compared to the IMX122.

-

Although I don't have a IMX322 vs OV4689 comparison available at the momen
I have: G90C vs SG9665GC
Daytime
Nighttime but still reasonably well lit:

Great choice. You now have a camera from a manufacturer and seller who cares and will make sure you're happy with your purchase.

Back