Looking for a "mid-engine mounted" solution

DashCameowra

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello folk,

I currently have a pair of Yi dashcams mounted in the center of my mid-engine car. Attached is a slightly older photo. I've since replaced the complex mounting mechanism with a pair of GoPro mounting clips. One camera faces forward, and one faces back. The front camera captures the driver and passenger view along with what's in front and does the job. Both the cameras plug into a USB <=> 12V socket. The solution is a bit old but works.

What I'm looking for:

1. Must-have: Capacitor based solution.
  2. Must-have Needs to be able to screw on the previously mentioned mounting clip. These will replace the older Yi dashcams and will sit in the same spot.
  3. Must-have: Needs to be able to record front and back

4. Nice to have: Single body that houses both the cameras (something like OnDash N2 Pro)
  5. Nice to have: Record the sides (small cabin)
  6. Nice to have: >1080p for both cameras.
  7. Nice to have: Rotation lock so the camera will record right side up even if mounted 180 degrees flipped.

8. Budget: $200-$300 (USD)
  9. Not-needed: Parking mode feature
Any guidance is very welcome. Thank you in advance.

IMG_3654.jpg

What kind of car is this?
Can we get more photos of the interior?
Also, confused why you don't mount on the front & rear windows, (I'm sure you have good reasons).
-Chuck

Thanks Chuck. Sorry about the shoddy photo. Away from home and got a few photos from the internet that should give folk a better idea. Car is an older Cayman and had a compact cabin. I like having clear window view in the front and do like the proximity of the current setup to the cigarette lighter port right under my right elbow, in the center between the two seats.

The back of the cayman is pretty much a fastback and has aggressive sloping. Given the way this car gets driven, the center bar has been a very secure spot. And like I said, out of the way.

Attachments

• IMG_0821.jpeg
    IMG_0821.jpeg
    28.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0822.jpeg
    IMG_0822.jpeg
    351.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0823.jpeg
    IMG_0823.jpeg
    355.3 KB · Views: 6
OK, I understand now thank you for the clarification.
Mounting on the window glass is a no go.
Now that I know where the cameras will be mounted, I'm curious what their POV is / are.
By any chance can you share some sample footage from the front & rear cameras.
YouTube video would be nice, if that's to much work / difficult some full size screenshots would work.
The reason I ask is because since the cameras will be mounted so far away from the window glass the camera's FOV might come into play.
I'm thinking you will want as narrow as possible to show the road outside the windows, rather than wide showing the inside of the car.
I'm going to call @BlackboxMyCar and @safedrivesolutions into this thread to see what they suggest because I have a feeling they have installed dash cams into a Porsche Cayman, and mid-engine cars before.

Are you mainly looking for 2 action cameras? Never seen anyone do this before unless they are car racing

Given your requirement of how the dash cam is to be mounted, it limits possible candidates:

Viofo VS1 ($110 each);

Viofo T130 2-CH ($130);
Keep in mind the T130 is discontinued.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B09D3GC1HZ

Viofo GitUp F1C 130° FOV 4K ($120 each);
Keep in mind might be discontinued soon.

Back