When a lorry starts a 3 point turn, don't shoot in behind it.

Rajagra

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mini0806
Seems obvious, but only for those who read the road.
Car door was dented, lady driver shaken up but not hurt.

I wasn't sure if she was trying to leave a gap for me to pull out of or not (I was headed left then into the right turn lane.) Glad I didn't even think of trying.

I've sent the link to the lorry driver, but I think he'll get at least half the blame no matter how silly the woman was. Despite it being possible he looked in the left mirror / it was clear, he looked in the right mirror / it was clear because the car had already gone behind him.

Yeah silly indeed, and too bad for the trucker he was put in a hard spot.
Still he should check his mirrors before and while reversing, so it should not have ended like that.

But the driver of the little blue car is a fool too, maybe the bigger one as it appear to be a selfish fool.

Yes, the truck driver drove into the car, not the other way around so it is mainly his responsibility. For insurance it will hopefully go 50-50, in a court it would be more like 80-20 against the truck driver, but obviously it was the car drivers fault, some people only ever think of themselves - yes I can gain 1 place in the queue, I'll grab it ASAP before the truck driver changes his mind or someone else gets it!

I think the truck driver will be allocated most or all of the blame because technically he drove into the car, not the other way around.
But it was very silly of the car to dart in behind the truck because it blocked the truck's presumed turn-in-the-road.
Of course, if there wasn't any video evidence, the truck driver could say the car rear-ended him as he tried to turn in the road.

Sometimes I feel silly for reversing so slowly. But not today.
TBH most reversing I see is done recklessly. Far more so than this example.

P.S. I'm often critical of certain road users who ask nothing more than "can I fit through that gap?" and disregard the possible outcomes. It's not often I see cars follow such thinking so slavishly, but this is such a case.

Last edited:
Sometimes I feel silly for reversing so slowly. But not today.
TBH most reversing I see is done recklessly. Far more so than this example.

P.S. I'm often critical of certain road users who ask nothing more than "can I fit through that gap?" and disregard the possible outcomes. It's not often I see cars follow such thinking so slavishly, but this is such a case.

Heh. I made a comment in a recent thread about the interior rear view mirror giving a false sense of security. I think that's what was happening there.

Slow doesn't mean you don't have to look! :eek:

The car driver is not going to evaluate the situation more than 'the truck is out of my way for now'.

(even though it's kind of obvious the truck can't really go forward much more)

Here in SC USA the general rule is whoever has selected reverse gear is at fault if the other vehicle isn't also in reverse.

I got my first traffic ticket from a reversing crash (more of as bump which didn't damage either vehicle) when some guy and I were both backing up at the Kmart store. The parking was diagonal opposed and we were both looking over our shoulder and reversing slowly but couldn't see each other until we hit because of how our heads were turned. The other guy insisted on calling the Police even with no damage (American cars had big heavy chrome bumpers back then and that's what collided) and though it was clear that both of us had erred equally if we'd erred at all, I got ticketed solely because I'd only been licensed 2 weeks at that point :( Now I reverse slowly and carefully, sometimes even stopping and getting out mid-process to see what's back there directly.

Phil

Back