Where are the big companies?

interesting that you mention Red Bull, I've done the same many times when talking about GoPro, both companies have some similarities, the product they sell is really just to generate revenue, they are marketing companies pure and simple, they both pour tons of money back into the market in advertising and sponsorship to promote their brands

Maybe Panasonic can also step forward with developing more dash cam orientated version of they action cam which has many unique features and at the moment can be also used as a car dash cam ( has start recording option from acc ). Wifi as a standard option is also good.

http://m.dpreview.com/news/2013/01/07/P ... ion-camera

It seems they are using special 1/4 cmos which performs as good as 1/3 series competitors. Of course some firmware adjustments need to be done to use it as full dash cam, but they have a potential.

Last edited by a moderator:
niko said:
Maybe Panasonic can also step forward with developing more dash cam orientated version of they action cam which has many unique features and at the moment can be also used as a car dash cam ( has start recording option from acc ). Wifi as a standard option is also good.

http://m.dpreview.com/news/2013/01/07/P ... ion-camera

It seems they are using special 1/4 cmos which performs as good as 1/3 series competitors. Of course some firmware adjustments need to be done to use it as full dash cam, but they have a potential.

they've had a solution available for about a year, we looked at it but very hard to work with, all their engineering team is Japanese, ours are Chinese obviously and for all involved English is a second language, Ambarella have full Chinese engineering support team so it's where we'll be staying for the foreseeable future

Last edited by a moderator:
niko said:
They are already out there and the biggest giant is Hyundai. They are gaining popularity on Korean market and knowing how truly big global corporation they are, I will expect some serious products from them in near future because they are well known brand and have a lot of money to invest into dash cams development. If following a Hyundai success history ( ship building, tractors, heavy machinery, cars, electronics etc ) , they always got their strong positions in any field of industry. So I expect same on dash cam market. Its only a matter of time when they will be worldwide top 5.
Hyundai provide the product list to me some weeks ago, but I only see some cheap cameras. I don't know the quality for these camera.
As I know, there are HP brand car dash cam on market using ambarella chipset, the model is F210 with GPS logger, and the F200 without GPS feature.

billknow said:
Hyundai provide the product list to me some weeks ago, but I only see some cheap cameras. I don't know the quality for these camera..

Hyundai have a long history of licensing their name to anyone that will pay the money to put it on electronic products, some very poor quality products have been released over the years under their label, I'd be wary of anything electronic carrying their name

billknow said:
As I know, there are HP brand car dash cam on market using ambarella chipset, the model is F210 with GPS logger, and the F200 without GPS feature.

I'd strongly suspect this is also a license arrangement, to their credit though for the HP licensed products I know of HP have been a lot more stringent in what they'll allow their name on so there's a good chance that the product standard is good

jokiin said:
billknow said:
billknow said:

I'd strongly suspect this is also a license arrangement, to their credit though for the HP licensed products I know of HP have been a lot more stringent in what they'll allow their name on so there's a good chance that the product standard is good
HP Camear image:
T2zTdaXjXOXXXXXXXX_!!584913471.jpg

The AT820 foxoffer sell looks similar with HP F210.
AT820%20Full%20HD%201080P%20Ambarella%20Car%20Dash%20Camcorder_2.jpg

billknow said:
niko said:
They are already out there and the biggest giant is Hyundai. They are gaining popularity on Korean market and knowing how truly big global corporation they are, I will expect some serious products from them in near future because they are well known brand and have a lot of money to invest into dash cams development. If following a Hyundai success history ( ship building, tractors, heavy machinery, cars, electronics etc ) , they always got their strong positions in any field of industry. So I expect same on dash cam market. Its only a matter of time when they will be worldwide top 5.
Hyundai provide the product list to me some weeks ago, but I only see some cheap cameras. I don't know the quality for these camera.

Maybe you got wrong dash cams. Hyundai new series R700 w Sony Exmor and 2ch R350D positioned as so called high end products 300-350usd and first reports are positive from real users on Korean dash cams forums. It is early to speculate. Time will tell.

niko said:
Maybe you got wrong dash cams. Hyundai new series R700 w Sony Exmor and 2ch R350D positioned as so called high end products 300-350usd and first reports are positive from real users on Korean dash cams forums. It is early to speculate. Time will tell.

it's quite possible it's different product for different market, Hyundai do a lot of licensing deals outside of Korea and the product varies by territory

Back