Where did you mount the camera? Post your pictures

jokiin said:
what's the thought behind mounting it on the backside of the mirror opposed to just using the included bracket?

Clearance and lack of suction from the stock mount are the main reasons. The stock suction mount supplied does not stick to the black stuff [look at picture below] above the rear view mirror mount.

Even if the stock mount did actually stick above the rear view mirror, their wouldn't be enough clearance to put the camera behind the rear view mirror since the neck is too long. I think this is a problem unique to the 2010 Toyota Prius due to the odd angle of the windshield. The other two reasons is that the position also allows the driver to still use a sun share on the wind screen. Summer temperatures in TX easily exceed 100 degrees Fahrenheit, so a having a Sun Shade helps keep the cabin a little cooler. The other reason is less obstructions on the windshield. Even though most dash mounts fit easily behind a rear view mirror, I couldn't find an alternative spot that wouldn't create a new blind spot in the Prius.

Attachments

• 20121210124709.jpg
    20121210124709.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 619
Yeah the suction mounts are no good on the black dotted section, I have seen some 3M mounts to suit this model which would work and are much more compact

Just thinking adjustment would be a hassle with your current setup

jokiin said:
Yeah the suction mounts are no good on the black dotted section, I have seen some 3M mounts to suit this model which would work and are much more compact

Which 3M suction mount are referring to?

aek88 said:
jokiin said:

Which 3M suction mount are referring to?

The 3M mounts are adhesive not suction, not in the office right now but will have a look later if I can find the link for you

How I mounted in a truck:

Even it is lookging ugly for some people that mounting is great, one of the best I ever made. Was rock solid, almost invisible from outside, protected from heat and never disturbing me. And the camera was working perfect, not a missing scene.

Here is how it is looking the recording video:
For me is an amazing view!

enjoy,
Mtz

Attachments

• Itb-250hd.jpg
    Itb-250hd.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
2013 HONDA ACCORD TOURING V6
cam1_zps9efe9e67.jpg

cam2_zps9fd5f2b1.jpg

cam3_zpsf07f6030.jpg

car already has a fCW and lane watch camera in windshield above rear view mirror, so I mounted mine to the cover using small 3m mount for dod ls300w. That cover has removable piece for running cables, even some extra clips inside to hold it in place. So, very little usb cable showing and entire camera out of site from drivers pov as its completely hidden behind rearview mirror. Very easy install. Plugged into 12v accessory jack inside center arm rest console. No wires anywhere and length of dod's power cable was perfect length to get to the arm rest.

Nice clean install, looks similar to my GT300W/Genesis setup. Wish I had the space on the right side of the mirror as you do since my camera blocks the auto dimming mirror sensor by putting it on the left side. However, not a big issue since it can be turned off manually. I also went with the all black 'tape out' method :) I elected to hardwire it using an add a circuit.

My GS9000 (it has GPS module inside the mount so the mount can't be replaced) with suction cup frequently falls off. I considered puttin double sided stickytape or whatever on it instead, or velcro pads (but I'm worried that would cause too much vibrations? Any tips?

Fixed Wired and Stealth

Zr3YEyJ.jpg

QdQgfON.jpg

UZIuhO2.jpg

FhZ4Zc5.jpg

Dod LS300W

2011 VW Caddy

808 #16 with ActionCam Mount by P.E.D. Proucts and custom fit windshield mount

fake GS1000 as backup

Attachments

• P1010616-k.jpg
    P1010616-k.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 450
  • P1010617-k-k.jpg
    P1010617-k-k.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 453
  • P1010629-k-k.jpg
    P1010629-k-k.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 452
  • P1010643-k-k.jpg
    P1010643-k-k.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 446
Here's my install in a Taurus. Needed to put it outboard of the rear view mirror to avoid interference with the radar detectors GPS.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 308
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 305
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 303
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 303
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 294
Dashcam routing of my car using a 15-ft USB cable.

HZOzeMNh.jpg

HHpaZXb.jpg

KNwMbl4h.jpg

Reactions: Mtz
seeing all pages some people are kinda ninja disciples :shock:

20131005_171039.jpg

This is my DR32 on an adapted mount. It normally lives on the screen in my bus at work but the bus is in dry dock having some major repairs done to the automatic doors (crap iveco electrickery - some relays are confused and the main motor went ballistic!!!!).
Even on the spare bus, though, it is always mounted on the black dots next to the mirror - so minimal disruption to my view of the road.
The suction mount is very adapted. I took an old mount and cut off the 'wings'. I then took another mount & carefully cut off the tripod mount. I then had to work out the best position to fix the tripod mouint so as to get the lens as close to the screen as possible whilst pointing the lens as low as possible (the dash is 'just' out of view in the vids). This mount was then fixed with a 2 part epoxy.
As I'm using different buses, I had to bring the cam home - the white box is the one that the cam came in & it all fits in perfectly as it is (I wrap the lead around the box to prevent tangles).

20131005_170739.jpg

This is my F70 dual cam as mounted beneath the shelf over my windscreen.
Even though the lens is pointing ahead, it still picks up most of the bonnet!
It does mean, though, that it presents minimal aspect to the outside world. The business end is a little over 1" thick and 3.5" wide.
Even though the lens is almost touching the screen, you still see some reflections off the dash.
This part of the shelf actually slopes upwards, this means that I can barely see the cam poking down (as the sun visor hides most of it) even though it is directly in front of my eyes!

The yellow tape, BTW, is where I had a problem with the cam not powering - turned out to be the USB plug on my 12v adapter & nothing to do with the well- hidden lead, so when i get time, I'll be hiding the wires back behind the trim.

Mine is mounted right in front of my face - as close to the side of the car as possible. My wipers are the normal sort & do clear all the way to the top of the screen.
I wanted to mount it over to the right rather than central to make it easier to read plates of oncoming vehicles or to give a better view of drivers on their mobiles.
Sad to say that even the slight tints on modern screens means the cam has problems picking most of these up - but I think it gives me an extra couple of frames to check number plates.

My K6000/CarCamP9000 is mounted on the lower right corner of the windshield (North American left hand drive). There are black dots painted on the windshield at the top center so the suction cup won't stick there and if I move away and avoid the black dot pattern, the camera is highly visible hanging in the windshield. When mounted in the lower right corner, the camera is hanging a ways back from the glass and other than the chrome bling and LED and flashlights (why, oh why??), the camera would be hard to see against the blackness of the dash and interior. From the side, the pillar hides the camera itself. However, the suction cup is clear plastic and against the window it's shiny and highly visible. Once that catches your eye, you follow the bracket down to the camera "oh hello, what's this"?

Some people have commented that the curvature of the windshield prevents mounting to the side. With a mount that has two adjusting bolts and a tiltable lens, it's not a problem. When the bracket arm hangs straight down (6 o'clock position), the camera points to the right. By rotating the suction cup and bracket arm clockwise so instead of hanging straight down, it now points to about 8 o'clock (relative to being inside the car) then the camera points straight ahead again. Adjusting the outboard adjusting bolt corrects for level and tilting the lens points the lens ahead and slightly downward to avoid to much sky shutting down the exposure. This works out to put the suction cup near the pillar and slightly less visible. This also solves the problem of hiding the wire around the windshield as the wire only has to come up to the dash.

My next camera is going to be a Mini 0801 and it's going top and centre with the 3M Dual Lock fastener tape just at the bottom of the black dots.

Here are my two cars Brown on is a 2011 Passat TDI wagon Other is a 2010 Polo TSI

Cameras attached with 3M dual lock tape (similar to Velcro but far better)

Passat rear

Polo

[/URL]

Last edited:
if there was no writing on the camera and the sunvisor was black that would pretty much disappear from view like that which would be good for when you park the car

Back