Where did you mount the camera? Post your pictures

Cardigan said:
I am about to install (ITB 100HD in Audi Q5). I can see that most cams here have been put behind the wing mirror. I am inclined to put it right at the top of the window (less wires dangling down) but that's in a part of the glass which is slightly shaded. Does anyone know if I am going to regret that because that slight shading is going to reduce the quality of the recording?
It all depends how deep your tint is. The only way to know is to find out by recording video (you can easily test this before hard wiring or permanently mounting to the windsheild). You're probably good to go in daylight but I suspect at nighttime you will have very dark video that you would need to brighten with software

Cardigan said:
I am about to install (ITB 100HD in Audi Q5). I can see that most cams here have been put behind the wing mirror. I am inclined to put it right at the top of the window (less wires dangling down) but that's in a part of the glass which is slightly shaded. Does anyone know if I am going to regret that because that slight shading is going to reduce the quality of the recording?

We do a lot of work for Audi and have installed quite a few Blackvue & Mi-Witness cameras into a whole range of vehicles. Including Q5. We always put them in front of the rear view mirror up the top. Not only is the camera out of your field of vision but we haven't had any reports of quality suffering due to the sun strip.

Check out my position on my Audi on the previous page. I haven't had any problems. Even at night time.

Remember though, in the UK we have strict rules about what can be mounted and where on your front screen. If its in front of your mirror then you're safe and within the rule of law. If you get a cop in a bad mood he could pull you for bad positioning.

Link below is a worthwhile read.

http://suction-mounted-car-cameras.blogspot.co.uk/

Last edited by a moderator:
B20RRL said:
Cardigan said:
I am about to install (ITB 100HD in Audi Q5).
We always put them in front of the rear view mirror up the top.

Thanks - is that directly behind the rear view mirror or above the rear view mirror at the top?

B20RRL said:
Cardigan said:
Check out my position on my Audi on the previous page. I haven't had any problems. Even at night time.

Thanks again - which previous page?

B20RRL said:
Cardigan said:
http://suction-mounted-car-cameras.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks for the link.

B20RRL said:
Cardigan said:
We do a lot of work for Audi and have installed Q5.

My Q5 owners manual Pages 237 - 239 gives detailed instruction on the configuration of the fuse array which is 100% incorrect in terms of the actual fuse array. Which fuses do you connect to for the power supply (engine on and engine off?) Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
That site reads like a wind up to me. You are not going to get done for having a Dashcam in the UK even if it's right in the middle of the windshield.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Looks like a bomb?

Wouldn't stick to anything in footwell, supaguard on all the plastics. Wedged it in with a microfibre cloth.

Thing sticking up is 12v splitter and in the other output is a dual usb charger for phones with retractable 1A micro usb lead.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368948548600.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368948548600.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 493
A permanent dashcam should be not powered from the cigarette lighter socket.
Even it is looking like a bomb I like its cables and you could find something black instead of that white cloth. No matter is microfibre or bubble bag or an old t-shirt, textil glove, but black.

enjoy,
Mtz

I decided to place it high and to the left of the RVM.
The high placement puts It in the shaded zone of screen which does reduce the picture clarity but not by much.
I placed it to the left (passenger) side because the cam lense is on the left and that takes it away from capturing the RVM mounting and because it takes it well out of any suggestion that it obstructs the drivers view.
This also brings the wiring down the left hand (passenger) side and the fuse array there is at the side of the glove box which might be useful when I hard wire in the upc.
I was surprised how easy it was to slide the wire in the space between the wind screen and lining and also the pillar.
All in all (taking aside that I have not yet wired in the upc) it was surprsingly quick and easy to fit in; in fact I spent more time trying different viewing positions than I did fitting it.
I did take a picture from the outside but even if I zoomed in still nothing could be seen (which is also something I wanted and makes up for the small loss of picture clarity)
The picture quality is superb, the sound is a bit dull.

Attachments

• LH fuse 1.jpg
    LH fuse 1.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 519
  • cam 1.jpg
    cam 1.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 527
What camera?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jazzist said:
That site reads like a wind up to me

X2

My question is, why is the diagram of a left hand drive car?

Jazzist said:
That site reads like a wind up to me. You are not going to get done for having a Dashcam in the UK even if it's right in the middle of the windshield.

No wind up my friend... It's the law.

Correct, you won't "get done" for having a DashCam in the UK but you will "get done" if it is improperly fitted in such a way that it obscures your vision. You will also "get done" if your dash cam has a screen with a moving picture on it whilst you are in operation of a vehicle. This is why vehicles that have built in media systems such as Audi, Land Rover, Jaguar etc will stop any playback when you go over a certain speed.

If you get a cop on a bad day I'm sure he will be more than happy to separate you from sixty of your finest British pounds and a minimum of 3 points on your licence. Especially if you're pulled over for something else like speeding or dangerous driving.

You or others on the forum don't any means have to follow the info that I have provided or what is said to be correct in the eyes of UK law but why would anybody "risk it" especially when up and behind your Rear View Mirror gives you a great picture!

B20RRL said:
especially when up and behind your Rear View Mirror gives you a great picture!

Unless you use Blackvue :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

It is correct that a misplaced camera may get you a fine, but it doesn't change the fact that the linked website is alarmist and dishonest.

Finally got round to placing the UF-007 into the car.

The original window mount that was supplied was huge (typical suction cup design), so I decided to buy one of these from ebay.

$(KGrHqUOKn!E5DC+ThReBOc7IdosJ!~~60_3.JPG

Only prblem was the 'sticky' gel on it wasn't so sticky and it fell off. I thought it was the shape of the rectangle which was a little convex, pushing itself off the window. So I cut the shape to the circle you can see in the picture above. Unfortunately it fell off again, so I removed the non sticky stuff and replaced it with some tax disc holder pads from the local motor accessory store.

991484DF-orig_zps9bc099ff.jpg

The pads hold very well and the camera sits quite sturdy.

D91D5384-orig_zps64cb6061.jpg

7929EE8F-orig_zps94577ae0.jpg

Tried to get a shot from outside, but the sun and angle of the window made it difficult. You can just about make out the camera if you look close :)

6C9AFF57-orig_zps73ae5362.jpg

carcam1.jpg

carcam2.jpg

carcam3.jpg

carcam4.jpg

carcam5.jpg

Blackvue 500

Didn't realize everyone had such a good view to the inside of my car :eek: I normally keep a 7" tablet in the center vent area but forgot it today. I don't want to tint the window because its more safe. Cars behind me can see through my car and whats ahead.

Before I got a real dash cam, I had used an old Nokia phone in the passenger headrest to capture video.

GT300W from FoxOffer. Hardwired using add a circuit.

Attachments

• 2013-06-16 17.12.09.jpg
    2013-06-16 17.12.09.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 747
  • 2013-06-16 17.12.33.jpg
    2013-06-16 17.12.33.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 745
  • 2013-06-17 08.00.17.jpg
    2013-06-17 08.00.17.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 738
  • 2013-06-16 17.10.32.jpg
    2013-06-16 17.10.32.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 742
  • 2013-06-16 17.15.52.jpg
    2013-06-16 17.15.52.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 738
map said:
Jazzist said:
That site reads like a wind up to me

X2

My question is, why is the diagram of a left hand drive car?
Think about it a bit and look at the pic again It is looking from the FRONT OF THE CAR OVER THE BONNET

Tiotech GT300W in a 2010 Toyota Prius. A very custom ghetto mount.

Attachments

• IMG_0647 (Large) (Small).JPG
    IMG_0647 (Large) (Small).JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 550
  • IMG_0639 (Large) (Small).JPG
    IMG_0639 (Large) (Small).JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 534
  • IMG_0640 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0640 (Large).JPG
    122 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_0641 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0641 (Large).JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 520
what's the thought behind mounting it on the backside of the mirror opposed to just using the included bracket?

Back