Where do I buy dual lock tape?

Has anyone found a 250/400 bag? I want the best hold i can get if i use it for a radio install as it will not be coming out unless i sale the car. I would like to to be as strong as possible so it does not come loose after years of button pressing and knob turning combined with heat. All i can find on Amazon is 400/170 and 250/250.

Has anyone found a 250/400 bag? I want the best hold i can get if i use it for a radio install as it will not be coming out unless i sale the car. I would like to to be as strong as possible so it does not come loose after years of button pressing and knob turning combined with heat. All i can find on Amazon is 400/170 and 250/250.

I think eBay may be your best and most convenient bet for this CYL. I don't think you'll find both 250/400 in one package though although it may exist. Here's one example of where to buy a selection. I'm sure some searching will turn up others.

I found half inch 400 on ebay through your link thanks.

Might have to mate it with inch 250 on the under side of the radio. Inch hangs over a little on the plastic grate mounting surface on my camaro.

I found half inch 400 on ebay through your link thanks.

Might have to mate it with inch 250 on the under side of the radio. Inch hangs over a little on the plastic grate mounting surface on my camaro.

You're welcome! Glad you found what you need. You don't need to live with any excess tape hanging over anything. You can cut dual-lock tape to whatever width or shape you want and it will work just fine. I've done it many times.

You're welcome! Glad you found what you need. You don't need to live with any excess tape hanging over anything. You can cut dual-lock tape to whatever width or shape you want and it will work just fine. I've done it many times.
That's cool. I was a little worried if i cut the inch down width wise that I would loose some strength because unless it was a really good straight cut that i might loose a few stems here and there.

I ended up ordering some 1/2 inch black 400 and some clear 250 1 inch. No one is is going to see it since it will be under the radios. I'll use the 1 inch on the bottom of the radios so over hang there will not be an issue because the radio is about 7 inches wide.

On a side note a small off topic dual lock success story.
I used some dual lock tape to hang something outside that was really light. (The Scotch All-Weather Fasteners package I bought from a local hardware store that says dual lock on the back side of the tape.)

There were wind gusts up to about 30MPH the other night and it didn't move. I was rather impressed. We have had temperatures from a low of about 6°F to to a high of 67°F along with the wind gusts as well and it's still hanging there.

Last edited:
Yeah, somewhere here I mentioned that Dual Lock is also marketed under the Scotch Fasteners brand. I don't know why they do that. The Scotch Heavy Duty Fasteners I bought also say dual lock on the back. The holding power of the stuff is pretty impressive and for smaller items like dash-cams or even mobile radios you can get away with smaller strips and as we've talked about in this thread it can even be too strong. It's good to hear success stories!

I am having a hard time finding the 3m product except online in big rolls. I was looking for the 1 inch wide tape for my lukas 7500
I have read none of the replies.
But in general, I buy things three ways.
1. Amazon
2. ebay
3. Google Shopping Search

and all things are sent to my UPS Mail Box (formerly Mail Boxes Etc) because I'm not the type of person (meaning I've grown UP) so I don't complain about "missing a delivery" ... or bother anyone with it. :) UPS store is inside, heated/cooled, professionals that sign for and secure all my parcels and correspondence. Plus, they are cool to talk to.

I've been to Walmart and my local hardware store. My hardware store must literately stock 10 SKUs of Velcro. Both Walmart and the hardware store stock one SKU of dual lock tape (RF9730 I believe) I used to be the Velcro King. I stuck CB radios, handheld radios, mic holders, GPS, DashCams, Scan Tools.

The stuff would wall apart in a few weeks. This all weather dual lock has taken some decent weather and from what i seen can suspend a bowling ball. How can people buy velcro anymore?

The stuff would wall apart in a few weeks. This all weather dual lock has taken some decent weather and from what i seen can suspend a bowling ball. How can people buy velcro anymore?

Your right that this stuff could pull a wall apart. It could certainly hold a bowling ball and the adhesive would probably be the weak link. The type 400 product has a tensile strength as much as 40lb to 57lb per square inch - engagement/disengagement on rigid substrates according to the spec sheet - depending on certain time and temperature parameters. And it comes in widths as wide as six inches! Yikes!

Here's a screen shot from 3M's spec sheet for Dual lock. You can download the whole 6 page document as a PDF HERE.

4wCKKub.png

Last edited:
Heh. That was a typo i missed. I need to stop posting here at two in the morning. I meant to write that the Velco was horrible compared to this stuff. Anyhow thanks for the Data Sheet.
My two rolls 250/400 should be in today it's nice to see that they can handle such high temperatures.

Heh. That was a typo i missed. I need to stop posting here at two in the morning. I meant to write that the Velco was horrible compared to this stuff. Anyhow thanks for the Data Sheet.
My two rolls 250/400 should be in today it's nice to see that they can handle such high temperatures.

I know what you mean about posting in the middle of the night. It's a darn good thing we can edit this stuff!

Last edited:
I know what you mean about posting in the middle of the night. It's a darn good thing you can edit this stuff!
Except for when someone quotes it. ha.
I hate to go on a crusade here, but it's just like with a DashCam...How can people not be using this stuff for....everything? I've had so many ideas how to use this stuff. I hung some stuff around the house. a family member has a boat that the tarp keeps coming off I seen some guy say they use it to tarp boats and trucks. It's kept my CB mic from falling off without drilling into my Dash.

Velcro has it's place too, I think.

Edit: I wouldn't worry too much about the typos. People figure out what we are talking about...and some of the non-native English speakers here have a special flair for this kind of thing.

I saw all-weather dual lock tape (4 pieces) in Staples for around 5 bucks.

Try searching for a local "radio control hobby shop". I know RC ppl use double sided foam tapes for mounting electronics onto scale models. The electronics are sometimes pricey and the models high performance so the application seems similar or you could visit these website for more info or product order. hope i offered some help

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the thread was resurrected, I'll add in: one reason that less people are using this is due to the mentioned aggressive holding nature of the adhesive backing. It grips hard enough to pull paint/wallpaper off of walls.

Illinois uses this for the i-Pass toll system windshield transponder units (since I go over to the east coast at least once a year, they're a godsend, really, lol...).

As to separating it, it's actually fairly easy once you get the hang of it. The way I get the unit off is to tug down at the top end close to the tape with gently firm, steady pressure. Presuming it's up against the windshield, the pressure is applied about 10°-15° from 'perpendicular' to the tape's general orientation, and downwards. Once you get a few started loose, they pop apart fairly easily (and make an actual 'pop' as opposed to Velcro's 'rip'). If you can get a slight 'grip' between the layers, it can help. extroneva's suggestion back on page 1 can work quite well, actually, though it might seem somewhat unsightly to some, and you could probably get away wish using even as little as 1/8" (3mm) 'overage'.

From what I can tell with my observations, the slight parallel movement caused by the angle and direction of pressure usually causes some of the 'mushrooms' on the end to slip past each other, which starts a chain reaction. That said, this stuff is rather solid, especially when it's new. There's a reason that some guitarists use them on their pedal boards, the hold is sturdy as hell, and holds up to some solid abuse.

Hope that helps some people!

Edit: if it'd help, I could put up some pictures explaining it using my i-Pass transponder. :3

-Laters...!
kgs-wy

Last edited:
Back