Strange motion artifacts.

mac

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
A119S, X100FHD, LB100; Mobius-C2 (x3), Mini 0803, HDR-AS30V
First time I've used the Mobius on a motorcycle and I'm seeing some artifacts. Some of it may be caused by vibration, but most seems to be coming from slow frame rates and/or changing of exposure levels. Attached is a short clip that demonstrates the effect.

The footage that the camera takes is perfect when there is no motion involved. I also don't recall seeing these effects when the camera was used in my car.

I'm using a class-10 card and the latest firmware.

Any insights appreciated.

Thanks. At least it's a known problem. Building an isolation device that's the size of the camera itself restricts its usability for my application.

s1000rr-mobius.jpg

Given that this camera has its roots in the RC market it seems odd that it would be plagued with such a problem. Seems possible that a firmware update can solve it? Until then, guess I'll look for another compact camera that works better.

Last edited:
Thanks. At least it's a known problem. Building an isolation device that's the size of the camera itself restricts its usability for my application.

View attachment 6863

Given that this camera has its roots in the RC market it seems odd that it would be plagued with such a problem. Seems possible that a firmware update can solve it? Until then, guess I'll look for another compact camera that works better.

This will be a problem with most cameras that are mounted to a high vibration surface. It has happened to me a few times when I mounted my GoPro on an outboard boat motor. It appears you have enough room to make a tiny isolation device there if need be. However I do not think this will or can be fixed by a firmware update, nor do I think it is camera specific, many cameras will likely have this issue.

Reactions: mac

Attachments

• isolation-mount.png
    isolation-mount.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 10
That's looks to be a promising option, you could probably duplicate it DIY style if you wanted. But its pretty cheap as is and looks made pretty well.

Are you using Velcro? - ime it allows too much waggle - Seen this with all my cam's and other bit's'n'bobs
Even in the Land Rover - Velcro allows a camera to waggle on the dash at tickover.
The image looks wavy and you feel drugged watching.

My cams are mounted using doublesided rubber pads or rubberlined P-clips (bulletcams).
Seems to me where you mounting will be buzzy.

That or use the mobius mounting plate and bolt it solid with a 1/4"unc bolt.

CMOS cameras have a rolling shutter, that is they don't capture the image at the exact same time and the lower parts of the image is captured much later than the upper part of the image. Great if the camera is steady, but you get that jello effect when there's vibration. CCD cameras have a global shutter, BUT good luck find an HD dash cam with a CCD image sensor. CMOS sensors are replacing CCDs because it's easy to get full HD on CMOS, but a lot harder to get it on a CCD.

I'm still currently using hook and loop until I can get some other materials to try. The effects are definitely due to induced vibrations, which occur mainly at certain frequencies (so I assume they're coming from the engine). Here's a high-speed video in which the jello effects aren't too bad; the auto exposure is the bigger problem here (apparent with the sky changing color). Also, it turns out that I was *not* using the latest firmware. Need to do more testing...

Back