Which capture angle (video)

View 1, 2 or 3

Votes: 2 16.7%

Votes: 2 16.7%

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
3, because it's more sunny :D

IMO for making journey clips, a narrower field of view is better because it's more realistic, while wide angle had fish-eye effect and distorts objects and makes cars ahead of you seem far away (even though they're close)

For using as a real dashcam (eg. basically a security camera you only use for incidents), IMO, the wider the field of view, the better. It's not about things having the correct shape but about having the highest chance of getting the incident on tape. (well, on flash)

Filming the sky is useless, and so is filming the dashboard. But the sun can cause bad lighting conditions if it's inside the camera's field of view, so in my opinion if you use a very wide angle, it's better to point it downwards a bit and have a portion of the dash on screen, less risk of the sun being on screen and messing up the whole shot (some cams make very dark footage because they try to adjust for the very bright sun in those situations, or end up very white footage).

That's my opinion on it :)

3. more dashboard = more correct recording light and white balance. I didn't vote because of clear sky.
Here is not about beauty, but about efficiency.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
3. more dashboard = more correct recording light and white balance. I didn't vote because of clear sky.
Here is not about beauty, but about efficiency.

enjoy,
Mtz
That's seems to be also dependant on the sensor and software and the general lighting around you.
For example, in this clip, directly watching into the sun doesn't look that bad to me:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, nice image. If your car was something like black I think it could help more the image. I can go down with the camera just a little.

enjoy,
Mtz

cantremember said:
getting the incident on tape. (well, on flash)

Watch out, you're showing your age. ;) :lol:

I said that to a buddy of mine the other day in front of a bunch of kids, they razzed me pretty hard about my age. lol

I'll choose #3, seems to have better color balance/light exposure.

Thanks for the input! Looks like view 3 is the one to use.

flank said:

Agreed, unless you plan on capturing the next large meteor strike!

Also..............

Flank, did you ever try the custom firmware yet? (to increase bitrate) If yes, are you happier with the quality?

Your angle demo video's quality seems low for 1080P

JazJon said:
flank said:

Agreed, unless you plan on capturing the next large meteor strike!

Also..............

Flank, did you ever try the custom firmware yet? (to increase bitrate) If yes, are you happier with the quality?

Your angle demo video's quality seems low for 1080P
if its any help, I did increase it up to 12000 and what a difference that made, when I get time I'm going to try 15000 and see if the difference is worth doing

Back