Which Editing Software Does Everyone Use for Their Garmin 20?

ThatKevinC

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey everyone who may be reading this. This past Winter I picked up a Garmin 20 dashcam. I've used it since, I won't get into the pros and cons, as I'm sure there are plenty of threads about it. Overall, I thought I was happy with it. Until I went to go edit some of the footage.

I tried using Windows Movie Maker and Sony Vegas Pro 11 to edit the videos, but neither recognize the format they are in. I then tried to use DivX and VLC to convert the videos to a more common file, but DivX doesn't recognize the file type and VLC won't convert the audio with the video. I spent approximately 3 hours last night attempting to find a software to use and have had no luck. I tried well over 5 different ones.

I don't know if I'm special and everyone else has no issues with this, or if no one else has even attempted to edit their videos. I just want to crop/trim the video to the roughly 15 second clip that I want, since the cam records in 3:51 minute intervals.

For reference, I'm using a PC.

The format recorded by the camera and the useless "Garmin Dash Cam Player" make impossibile to join the videoclips of a trip in one file. So, i find another way to do it without re-encoding.

Sw:
- Garmin Dash Cam Player or Driving Recorder PC Tool (it doesn't matter witch one, i need them only to extract GPX files from avi videoclips)
- Avidemux 2.6.10 - 64 bit
- Registrator Viewer 6.0.0.8
link to sw download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B...dqa2gzSXUxVkdEMHp6bF9oWDBkRjZaVnA4cU5iQTFXZmc

Open the avi clip in Driving Recorder PC Tool
upload_2016-7-2_23-39-29.jpeg
Extract GPS data (GPX format) from each videoclip. Unfortunately for G-sensor data no way to extract...

Open the avi clip in Avidemux
upload_2016-7-2_23-53-22.png
On the left select AAC (lav) for Audio Output e MP4 Muxer for Output Format. Only the audio will be convert (the video is H264 AVC). The result will be an mp4 videoclip without gps data. Do the same conversion fro all the videoclips. Now clips are compatibile with Sony Vegas etc etc.

If you want to join clips easy and re-inject the GPS data, open Registrator Viewer
upload_2016-7-3_0-18-35.jpeg
For each videoclips select related GPX file previously exported, then save the whole group in one file only.

I see the Google Drive files have been updated recently so I'm guessing this is still working for you ? I'm having problems getting Registration Viewer to show the GPX file exported properly (it's truncated, only shows the end). The file seems ok because GPSVisualizer displays it correctly so I'm not sure what's going on...Thanks !

It still working for me, GPX are not truncated. But RegistratorViewer works only with "Open Street Maps" with lots of java scripts error warnings...
So i searched today for a solution and I found this intresting thread: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/google-maps-fix-for-registratorviewer-windows.27756/ . Execute the Windows Register key, start RegistratorViewer and reset all settings. It works now with Goole Maps and Open Street Maps with no java script warning. If you rename the RegistratorViewer executable file, edit the windows register key file, modify the string and execute it again. I uploded the correct files in Google Drive.
Bye.

Last edited:
Back