Which fuse to use for powering my dashcam

Sorry if this sounds like a noob question: Do I still need a fuse tap when installing a constant power cable (for an always on dashcam) such as this?
$(KGrHqV,!pEFEVcbLWzJBRMDB,6Ug!~~60_12.JPG

Or can I just connect the yellow (always on) and red (ACC) wires directly to the respective fuses? And am I correct in understanding that both red and yellow wires must be connected to both fuses? Thanks a lot.

That black small cylinder have in it the needed fuse.

enjoy,
Mtz

I've read that fuse taps tend to loosen the connectors in the car. Does anybody know of a mini fuse tap type that's a perfect fit? And will I gain anything if I decide to use one with an uninterruptible power device similar to the one I linked above? Thanks.

My english is not very good so I have a picture here, how do I connect the power cable and the fuse adapter?

01howtocable.JPG

Swordfish said:
And will I gain anything if I decide to use one with an uninterruptible power device similar to the one I linked above? Thanks.
It's mainly for providing the power for parking mode with a protection against emptying your battery.

germany said:
My english is not very good so I have a picture here, how do I connect the power cable and the fuse adapter?
Center is Batt +12V and external is Ground (-). On both connectors.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mikk36 said:
Swordfish said:
And will I gain anything if I decide to use one with an uninterruptible power device similar to the one I linked above? Thanks.
It's mainly for providing the power for parking mode with a protection against emptying your battery.

What I meant was what would I gain if I use a fuse tap when the uninterruptible power cable (see photo above) already has a built-in fuse?
And if I connect the power cutoff device directly to the fuse box (no fuse tap), do I need to solder the wire to the fuse? Does it matter if I connect it to the left or right foot of the fuse and does it matter how you place the fuse into the fuse connector (orientation)? Sorry for the newbie questions.

Swordfish said:
Sorry if this sounds like a noob question: Do I still need a fuse tap when installing a constant power cable (for an always on dashcam) such as this?

Or can I just connect the yellow (always on) and red (ACC) wires directly to the respective fuses? And am I correct in understanding that both red and yellow wires must be connected to both fuses? Thanks a lot.

Connect the yellow cable to the fuse of a permament power source (e.g. interior cabin lights). Connect the red cable to the fuse when power is supplied after vehicle has been started (e.g. ciggy lighter or the stereo head unit). Connect the black cable to the ground of the body (e.g. metal part of the vehicle). That will connect all the three wires together for powering the DVR in both driving mode and parking mode.

germany said:

Connect the red to the positive red (fuse). Connect the black wire to the negative (ground) to car metal body.

Mitch said:
Connect the yellow cable to the fuse of a permament power source (e.g. interior cabin lights).
As I already said, take care with the interior cabin lights. Many cars have a timer and cut off the power for these lights after about 15 minutes.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
Mitch said:
Connect the yellow cable to the fuse of a permament power source (e.g. interior cabin lights).
As I already said, take care with the interior cabin lights. Many cars have a timer and cut off the power for these lights after about 15 minutes.

enjoy,
Mtz

Yes, if that happens on some cars, an alternative but not limiting is to tap the yellow cable to the tail lights or headlights fuse.

I used the central lock fuse. Opening the doors must be always on.

enjoy,
Mtz

Swordfish said:
Mikk36 said:
Swordfish said:

What I meant was what would I gain if I use a fuse tap when the uninterruptible power cable (see photo above) already has a built-in fuse?
I would recommend having two fuses. Just in case something goes wrong in your car and there's a power surge or something, then there are two fuses before the camera.
There are propably even more than two that way, because you'll also have some kind of master fuse even further up the wire, in your main fuse compartment under the hood or something.

Mtz said:
Center is Batt +12V and external is Ground (-). On both connectors.
enjoy,
Mtz

Mitch said:
Connect the red to the positive red (fuse). Connect the black wire to the negative (ground) to car metal body.

Thanks you guys very much

Has anyone tried this Mini 5-Pin USB Output 12V to 5V 3A DC~DC Step-Down Power Converter?
[img=left]https://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_184045_1.jpg[/img]
- Color: Black
- Input voltage: 8~22V
- Output voltage: 5V
- Output current: 500mA / 1000mA(1A) / 1500mA(1.5A) / 2000mA(2A) / 3A (max.) self-adaption
- Transfer efficiency: Up to 96%
- Static power: 15~18mA
- Operating temperature: -40'C to 85'C (industrial level)
- Over current, overheating and reverse connect protection
- Cable length: 280cm
If specs are true, this is the ready solution to replace stock cigarette lighter powered power supply. I have asked them to provide pinouts, to clarify if they use 4th and 5th pin to provide +5V to dashcam.

I'm shortly before finishing the hardwireing in my car.

I have now a 10 A. car fuse adapter connected with an USB-socket (5 Volts) the fuse with the cable shouldn't be on plus right? How can I find out on which side of the fuse socket the plus or minus is?

germany said:

I have now a 10 A. car fuse adapter connected with an USB-socket (5 Volts) the fuse with the cable shouldn't be on plus right? How can I find out on which side of the fuse socket the plus or minus is?
The fuse is always on the hot wire which is the plus or red wire. There is no polarity on the fuse. Both sides are plus. You should always have a volt meter with you.

Al Drake said:
germany said:

The fuse is always on the hot wire which is the plus or red wire. There is no polarity on the fuse. Both sides are plus. You should always have a volt meter with you.

A fuse has no polarity as it is an "INLINE" object as the current flows in one side and out the other A light bulb on the other had has current Voltage, whatever " positive" going in and negative coming out

Al Drake said:

Maybe there is no other way than buying a voltmeter just for that

Hillbilly said:
A fuse has no polarity as it is an "INLINE" object as the current flows in one side and out the other A light bulb on the other had has current Voltage, whatever " positive" going in and negative coming out

I know that a fuse has no polarity but with a power cable on it I think then it has a polarity and then it's important in which way you plug it in:

Back