White Balance

Ben Dover

Reaction score
Country
United States
Guess there isn't any white balance on a G2W? FW: 330G20130420 I couln't find it.
Just got this yesterday. Paid $85 from a US vendor. Got a 3 year Square Trade warranty for $9.75(with coupon) since I know these devices won't last. I will get the full 85 back when it breaks.
Colors are way off when inside my house using incandescent light. I thought it was defective. Looks OK outside. It looked kind of blue when pulling out of my driveway. Then was OK. It was partly cloudy morning. WDR was on. Don't know if that makes a difference in white balance.

Sound is OK but picks up a lot of deep rumble from a Jeep Cherokee. I have a 5.2 home theater with 2 Definitive Tech subs. This mic has way to much low frequency response. My other cams didn't pick up any of this subsonic noise. Seems like it would be really bad in a big truck.

WB is for stills. That is what I saw in a post somewhere. Thought it was for video. I'd still like to know why the colors were so bad indoors with video. I saw the same color problem on a K6000 that was returned.
This GW2 does not have any blurry corners. Good focus all the way. Using a Sandisk USH 32GB formated to fat 32 with 32k clusters using guiformat. USB socket it tight.
I also have a G1W on order from Bailkov with the new FW 20131017. I still don't know what the difference is between that and the older firmwares.
I might get a Panorama 2 next for another car.

Last edited:
Saw a screenshot of a GT550W that has a setting for white balance in video mode.
Anyone know if any of the GXW's firmwares have WB in video mode?

Here is a still pic showing the colors when shooting indoors. Can't see any browns except for the legs on the bottom of the high chair. The carpets are red, brown, and beige. The botton of the high chair pad is brown. White balance set to auto. Tried tungsten also. Same effect.
G2W still.jpg

Well today I accidently recorded a 30 min. trip in 720P with this G2W. Looked terrible! Thought the camera was defective. It may be. The bottom of the video was super blocky at times and became a solid green stripe a few times. Can anyone comnent on their experience recording 720 with a G1w?
Put it back in 1080 and it seems OK.

I have not had any problems with the colour or what I would call drop out. But 720 will never be the same quality as 1080.
Nice set of wheels you have there. ;)

Probably going to send it back. 30 day return. And it was a USA vendor.
I'm just going to try few things first like reset button, and a different memory card.

Edit: WTF! Tried the same recordings on my main PC and it does not have the bottom blockies.
I got the blockies when playing it on my Asus laptop. I used the same SuperSpeed USB 3.0 card reader, and the same media player. Media Player Classic Home Cinema. I would swear that the blocks and green stripes were recorded because I did frame by frame advance. It looked like those anomalies were recorded. 1080P recordings always played fine with that laptop. Gonna try that laptop again.

Same thing on that laptop again. Tried different players. Must be the ATI video card that doesn't like those 720 files. It worked fine on 2 of my other PC's. One had an ATI.
The mic picked up a lot of subsonic bass in a 2012 Honda Accord too. Very high levels.
The G1W I ordered from Baiklov should be here next week. Left NY yesterday. So I will have one to compare to this. These will be my last cheap ones. Going high end next.

Tried some LS300W firmwares on this G2W. They all worked except the screen does not work. I see the splash screen when it is started. Then I see a normal screen for about a few tenths of a second. Then the screen stays off. Must be that this is a 3" screen or something. It does start recording automatically. The audio is better than the original FW. The orig. had a slight buzz about every second. With the LS firmwares, there was none of that buzz at all. Mic worked really well. Can't comment on the rumble. I did not test in a car. I can't compare the image quality until I test it in a car. These LS firmwares still had the crappy colors like it the pic above. Didn't care about bricking it.
Looks like my G1W should be delivered today.

got the G1W with 20131017 firmware. Colors are good. This is how it is supposed to look:14560003.JPG

Same thing on that laptop again. Tried different players. Must be the ATI video card that doesn't like those 720 files. It worked fine on 2 of my other PC's. One had an ATI.
The mic picked up a lot of subsonic bass in a 2012 Honda Accord too. Very high levels.
The G1W I ordered from Baiklov should be here next week. Left NY yesterday. So I will have one to compare to this. These will be my last cheap ones. Going high end next.

has a chance to fix that subsonic bass picked from mic?

No, it can't be fixed on the G2W.
I did get the G1W yesterday and that does not pick up that low bass. But it does the wavering audio problem.

But it does the wavering audio problem.

Sound rec waving and a little pitch noise is typical on most NT96650 + AR0330 dash cams ( some has it stronger, some not that strong ), so there is nothing to do. I just get used to this.

Sound wavering does not bother me either. But that subsonic bass in G2W was at an extremely high level. Made the VU meters would stay pegged in the red. Very audible with the subwoofers and the bass turned all the way down.

Very audible with the subwoofers and the bass turned all the way down.

I understand your concern. Me also like driving and listening nice bass ;), but drawback is that most dashcam microphones are not high quality.
( sorry for jumping out of title subject of this thread ).

You may have misunderstood me.
The mic on the G2W picks up subsonic rumble from the engine. Even on a quiet car. And when I playback the dashcam recording on my TV, I still hear the rumble when I turn down the bass on a Denon 3312, 7.2 receiver and turn off the 2 subs.

The mic on the G2W picks up subsonic rumble from the engine. Even on a quiet car. And when I playback the dashcam recording on my TV, I still hear the rumble when I turn down the bass on a Denon 3312, 7.2 receiver and turn off the 2 subs.

I see what you mean. Still it's I think all to do with microhone + CPU. You can not ask for more from low-priced dashcams. They can not be ideal for that price, so somewhere need to compromise.

Post some video to see listen sound....

Post some video to see listen sound....

Great idea !
I would add: RAW video files would do better than if uploaded to youtube.

I returned that G2W and I did not save any files recorded by it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S G1WX 13
CTSVOWNER G1WX 4
B G1WX 2
M G1WX 4
Back