Why don't people who park with hazards on understand how it looks?

I think that's pretty much a universal written (and sometimes unwritten) law. The only situation when putting the hazards on while in motion is somewhat justifiable is when traffic ahead is coming to a halt or there's some obstacle on the road and you need to warn traffic coming behind you.

I rarely have to utilize the hazards as the brake tapping usually works - though now a days I'm often concerned the younger generation doesn't realize the warning it's meant to give and would interpret it as brake checking; though I never tape if a car is too close.

I think that's pretty much a universal written (and sometimes unwritten) law. The only situation when putting the hazards on while in motion is somewhat justifiable is when traffic ahead is coming to a halt or there's some obstacle on the road and you need to warn traffic coming behind you.
That's my justification for using them during a monsoon style downpour. I have good eyesight (much to the annoyance of my wife who is nearsighted with astigmatism). If I can't see the car 30 feet in front of me, the guy behind me probably can't see me either. So I make myself visible since I'm now driving just above walking speed due to weather, and don't want to be hit from behind by some obliviot who still thinks it's safe to go 50 mph.

Another big factor here is that less than 1% of cars in the US have rear fog lights. Only a few European imports have them and even that's not universal.

That's my justification for using them during a monsoon style downpour. I have good eyesight (much to the annoyance of my wife who is nearsighted with astigmatism). If I can't see the car 30 feet in front of me, the guy behind me probably can't see me either. So I make myself visible since I'm now driving just above walking speed due to weather, and don't want to be hit from behind by some obliviot who still thinks it's safe to go 50 mph.

Another big factor here is that less than 1% of cars in the US have rear fog lights. Only a few European imports have them and even that's not universal.
And Japanese, and Korean, for sure. I really can't understand why american cars don't have rear fog lights.

the only ones i've seen with rear fogs are a few jags, volvo, and mercedes. never seen them on anything else here. and yes, it would be good, but then you'd have to teach people to NOT use them ALL THE TIME like they do with front fog/driving lights. that'll never happen.

I thought Japanese and Korean cars had it. I'll have to pay more attention the next time I watch an American dashcam video. :)

Most Japanese and Korean cars sold here are actually made here (in north america, anyway). Toyota/Lexus and Honda/acura have plants all over the place, and Hyundai/kia, Mercedes and i think bmw all have plants in Alabama.

Back