Why I've added a 3rd cam to my car. Psycho driver.

With multiple cams if one fails, you can still get a lot of info from another cam regards lane positioning, vehicle movements, road speed, plus audio if it's turned on. And it's likely you'll have a frame or two of most of the other cars around you at some point on the functional vids excepting those which only the dead cam would have seen.

If something is important then redundancy for it is important too ;)

Phil

With multiple cams if one fails, you can still get a lot of info from another cam regards lane positioning, vehicle movements, road speed, plus audio if it's turned on. And it's likely you'll have a frame or two of most of the other cars around you at some point on the functional vids excepting those which only the dead cam would have seen.

If something is important then redundancy for it is important too ;)

Phil

And with multiple cams you won't get dizzy, nauseous or cross-eyed trying to follow the action! :wacky:

having my a118c hardwired and stealthy tucked behind my rear view mirror enables me to have one of my 508's mounted right by the mirror (where most people mount ordinary suction cup dashcams) pointing into the cabin, powered off the 12v socket, catching enough of the sides, and the 12v socket has a double adapter so I have my rear 508 cam plugged into it too.

also, since my hardwire is on a switched live, it powers off when the car's off, but the 12v is permanent live, so I rotate the interior cam to face outwards for parking mode if the car's left for a short time

honestly my interior cam has never caught anything worth catching, I have it for potential police stop conversations and other confrontations, but it's handy to have it recording my own behaviour in the event of a crash, to show myself not being distracted by anything!

I agree with DM on the 360 footage, ATM i solely see that as a option for the same people that think VVS video are fine.

I heard today that within very short time facetwitt want 1 billion people to be on their VR platform :cautious: to me that just underline how bad that "service" need to go away.

Yes! That's exactly what I was suggesting. (except facing towards the side windows) I love this SmallRig cheese plate you've got and am think of purchasing one to add to my camera mounting toolbox. I have a small block of mahogany just about that exact same size that I've used to mount multiple Mobius cams for testing using VHB tape but the cheese plates really seem to be the way to go.

If this scheme is at all viable, hope you'll post a few screen shots.
I've posted my Mobius camera setups and resulting views & videos HERE

LOL - I feel much better now knowing there are people more paranoid than me and don't think anything about using 4+ cameras in a car. :p

@TonyM - How do you like the M2 compared to the M1? Is there much low light performance difference? I was debating buying a M2. I recently bought a Rexing V1N to use in the rear but I was disappointed in the night performance and returned it. I replaced it with an old M1. It was also bulkier than I expected. The M1's are pretty unobtrusive in the rear.

Whatever you get, make sure it stays 'plugged in'. :)

Did you actually call the cops?

Somehow, I get the impression the front cam would have added some missing info about this situation.
:)

i have an old a118 and a118c sitting in my drawer so i guess i need to install them as rear cams. i had some a-hole actually follow me all the way to church a couple weeks ago and then make threats to me and accuse me of "tryina wreck my sh*t"... i mean, how DARE i gently apply the brakes to slow down for something in front of me? it's not my fault you were tailgating so close (at 50 mph) i couldn't see your hood.....

Use one of these

Attachments

• laser1.jpg
    laser1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 17
  • laser2.jpg
    laser2.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 18
If you really want to deter tailgaters? This is what you need. Not no Christmas lights :coffee:

HUMVEE-stayback_jpg.jpg

Whatever you get, make sure it stays 'plugged in'. :)

Did you actually call the cops?

Somehow, I get the impression the front cam would have added some missing info about this situation.
:)

Yes, but about a minute into the call we caught up to a CHP car. I flashed my high beams at him and he pulled over. He tried to spot the Prius but I think by the time he walked over to us the Prius had passed us by.

Front video would have been cool to see him cutting across and braking. But I think side view would have been best to show him playing chicken going into my lane like he was going to hit us. That's why I now added a rear cam facing the front.

My passenger from Europe was convinced I must have done something to get this guy upset. But I'm 100% sure that was not the case.

LOL - I feel much better now knowing there are people more paranoid than me and don't think anything about using 4+ cameras in a car. :p

@TonyM - How do you like the M2 compared to the M1? Is there much low light performance difference? I was debating buying a M2. I recently bought a Rexing V1N to use in the rear but I was disappointed in the night performance and returned it. I replaced it with an old M1. It was also bulkier than I expected. The M1's are pretty unobtrusive in the rear.
The M1 is generally the better all-round camera at the moment. The M2 has some good points. Metering seems better and it is more light sensitive. However it produces a more 'grainy' video that loses a lot of detail compared to the M1, especially in low light.

M1
9_M1.jpg
M2
9_M2.jpg

I've been thinking about installing some led spot lights in my back window for those lovely individuals who insist on running their high beams all the time.

I don't think those laser things would do any good, especially considering that my license plate is not mounted in the center.
2006_toyota_rav4_4dr-suv_sport_rq_oem_2_500.jpg

I've been thinking about installing some led spot lights in my back window for those lovely individuals who insist on running their high beams all the time.

I don't think those laser things would do any good, especially considering that my license plate is not mounted in the center.
2006_toyota_rav4_4dr-suv_sport_rq_oem_2_500.jpg

Or a round mirror bonded to your spare wheel cover. ;)

This was an experiment a tried a few years ago. I didn't pursue it further but I would like to achieve coverage to each side.

A little off topic but it seems that in Europe a lot more people use dash cams compared to USA. I wonder if that is simply because of the general higher IQ in Europe (except for Italy :p ) or some other factors?

@TonyM - Thanks for the M1 - M2 pics. Given I have a few M1's looks like no point to "upgrade" to the M2.

A little off topic but it seems that in Europe a lot more people use dash cams compared to USA. I wonder if that is simply because of the general higher IQ in Europe (except for Italy :p ) or some other factors?

@TonyM - Thanks for the M1 - M2 pics. Given I have a few M1's looks like no point to "upgrade" to the M2.
IMO it's because most Americans are primarily interest in immediate gratification and don't look at the long term potential benefits of dash cams. Just look at how many are driving without insurance. :(

If you really want to deter tailgaters? This is what you need. Not no Christmas lights :coffee:

https://iq-research.info/en/page/average-iq-by-country

Well, the guy who wrote the 100 mt sign which can't be read at 100 mt lives in a country only at the 9th place for IQ score, well behind Italy at 5th place...:D

@Matt_V939 - Odd. I read a study a couple of years back on adult intelligence for industrialized nations and dead last was Italy followed by the USA and then Poland. Doing a quick search now shows several reports with Italy pretty high at 4th or 5th place. This one has Italy ranked #35 and the USA #28. https://www.worlddata.info/iq-by-country.php So I guess you can't give much weight to any of them. One thing for sure, it's not very smart to not have a dash cam considering the low cost and how much $$$ it can save you in the event of an accident. BTW, I have nothing against Italians. :p

@RCPilot....we are all having fun in these forums (i should use more emoj)....and I enjoy to bash americans as much as I can, the more against political correctness the better!:D

Back