Wife's A119S acting up.

Stephen13

Reaction score
Country
United States
The wife's A119S is acting up. When it powers up the display only shows BCH's dice logo. I pulled the memory and took a look at it on my computer and the cam doesn't appear to have done any actual recording since 9/17/20. Once powered up it only responds to the ON/OFF switch. I can turn the cam off but when I turn it back on again I only get BCH's dice logo and the model # on the display. None of the other buttons do anything as far as I can tell. Any guidance you can provide would be much appreciated.

Have you tested the card?

Phil

Well... I tried it in my 119S and it works fine.

The memory card are often the weak link in any dashcam, and then going into read only mode are not unusual.
So i would at least see if you could delete a file or two on the card and copy a file of some sort to the memory card, if you cant do that there is a issue with the memory card.
What memory card are you using, and where did you get it from ?
how long have the camera / memory card been in service ??

Good memory card test softwares are H2testw and crystaldiskmark.
You will want to test all memory space on the memory card, not just a little free space.

If the memory card are fine, then yes you might have a issue with the camera.

The cards in hers and my 119S cams are Samsung 64G EVO cards.

Should be good then if the card work well in your camera, but there are many fake cards around for sure, so always a good idea to buy from a reputable seller.
You can try to load the firmware again, or a newer firmware, i have had that resolve a problem with a Street Guardian camera a few years ago.

Reloading the FW was the first thing I tried. It didn't help. I'm thinking the cam is toast.

Did you set the cam to "default settings" after reflashing? If not then do another reflash and try that.

Phil

Also might want to look at THIS thread here where the exact same issue was dealt with.
Also an A119-A119S troubleshooting guide HERE

Phil

After reloading the FW the cam would only display BCH's dice logo. The cam only responds to the OFF button. When I turn it back on again the display shows the dice and the REC button lights up. And though the REC button is illuminated the cam is not actually recording anything since the last file is dated 9/17

Gotta run for now. I'll take a look at the link later.

Might be worthwhile reseating the image sensor ribbon cable. While your in there, inspect the capacitors for any bulging at their bottom.

OK but note the first thread is for the A119 non-"S" version but the procedure(s) will be similar for you.

Phil

Well I’ve completed all the recommended steps and procedures and none of them have made a difference. This cam is going in the trash.

FWIW, the caps inside the cam have already been upgraded to the higher temp versions, lens upgraded, etc. that were all recommended by BCH months ago.

Well I’ve completed all the recommended steps and procedures and none of them have made a difference. This cam is going in the trash.

FWIW, the caps inside the cam have already been upgraded to the higher temp versions, lens upgraded, etc. that were all recommended by BCH months ago.
Did you replace the whole lens/image sensor setup or just the lens? If you have another image sensor, you could try that one.

Thanks for all your help everyone. The cam has been tossed in the trash. We'll look into a higher quality unit to replace it.

Back