Windshield Frit and Static Stickers

springerview

Reaction score
Country
United States
My Viofo A229 came with two static stickers to prevent residual marks and cleaning troubles when removing the mount. Is anyone using these, and can they be used on the windshield frit?

frit2.jpeg

The stickers work well, you can even cut them in half and have four that work well.

As for the frit, if it is rough then definitely not, if it is smooth and glossy, so a sunshield rather than real frit, then yes. If you can feel the texture or feel the bumps then I would avoid using the anti-static stickers on it. The 3M sticky pads will still stick fine.

Nothing to do but ax or as Nigel said scissor the static stickers and give it a try.
I can see you have a grit style shade like i have too, where as others have a dotted area, seem like we are left with the leftovers of those.

I have had luck with a suction cup on my frit, but i am not sure if a static sticker would work there, but otherwise the static sticker worked well when i tested the T130 on a clean part of my windscreen ( almost in front of driver )

I can see you have a grit style shade like i have too...
The pic with my post is just one I grabbed off the internet- not my car, which is a 2022 BMW M340i. The interior of the windshield behind the frit is smooth, so I was able to use the sticker. I've placed it just to the right of the rearview mirror. If I put it behind the mirror it will be more centered, but access will not be as convenient. I finished mounting the A229 in the dark, so don't have a pic yet, but here's one before adding the camera:

windshield.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't used the Viofo ones, but I used some other ones I bought on Amazon. The only drawback I've seen so far is they become stiff after sitting in the sun being used and once they're hard/stiff you can't reuse them. This isn't a big deal for the ones I bought because it came with multiple sheets and I only use a quarter of one sheet. Also, if I do reuse one I have to peel the static sticker all the way off the dash cam mount, apply the static sticker to the windshield, and put the dashcam mount back on it.

I have found the curvature of the glass works against getting good contact. After a few times of the camera left dangling by the power lead.. I shaped a small piece of plastic on one side to match the curvature, leaving the other side flat. Then mounted my camera with 3M double sided tape, to the flat side and 3M to the curved side as well.

I tried the static sticker when I mounted my Viofo A119 V3. It fell off in about 2 seconds, so I attached the mount directly to the glass. After 6 months I haven't felt the need to reposition it, so there would have been no advantage to using the static sticker in the first place.

Yeah not really a big deal using the sticky pads directely in the windscreen, the glue do come off fairly easy if you are to sell the vehicle later on.

If you like me change camera often, then yes every install leave a little gunk behind, and over time that will have a negative effect on new cameras, so a major overhaul / cleaning are needed.

They are well worth using if you have a hire car that needs to be returned after a few days and you don't want to leave a mess of dead sticky pad on the glass, otherwise the sticky pads direct to the glass make more sense.

What other static stickers work besides the Viofo ones and where can I buy them?

Why.. do they not make tinted static cling sheets? Be real handy driving into the sun to be able to apply a tinted sheet of static cling to the front (or side) windows to act as temporary sunglasses.

They do! It is available in different sizes and light transmission strengths. I use a 4 inch 20% strip on the rear window of my truck with a hole cut in it to hide my rear facing camera.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00062YZXU

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B000CMJ6HO

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Tinted+Anti-Glare+Static+Cling+Window+Film+

Last edited:
What other static stickers work besides the Viofo ones and where can I buy them?
I've successfully used these ones:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B09L8KH4D1
I think the trick is to look for ones that are flexible/pliable. If you look at the third product photo it's folded over on itself showing that it's flexible. If you buy one that's stiff, then it's not going to work very well.

Thank you so very much! Viofo sent me 2 new ones today, but I definitely want a back up. Right now, my rear camera is being held up with scotch tape!
BTW, Viofo was super helpful when I contacted them!

I will go ahead and order a pack of these now!

I would have bought the Viofo ones, but I couldn't stomach the shipping costs for such a cheap item and I didn't need to buy anything else from them at the time.

Understand. One of the ones in the box with my VIOFO a229 was defective so they sent me 2 new ones along with a couple of small sticky pads for free. CS was very nice. Right now, my rear camera is held on by scotch tape! I’ll fix that today.

Back