wireless charging

yairre

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

working on a timelapse time capsule i wanted to
keep the yi in the waterproof container while charging

found this wireless charging module in my stash.

tonight i'll let the setup run and see if it gets enough juice to
* top the battery
* timelapse every 16sec
* have an external pc get all images over lftp

i checked the current pull of the yi
* while running following script with battery fully charged - 5v/200mA = 1W
* while charging 5v/~900mA = 4.5W

so i hope this wireless charging thing (rated at 5v/500mA=2.5W) can provide enough current for everything. this setup is now connected to a bench power supply. the charging pad is now pulling 12V/150mA= 1.8W
but this thing are not very efficient, me think. so i don't really know. let's wait and see.

qGD8Y20.png

==EDIT==
after about an hour i stopped the experiment .
note0: checking my ftp directory i see my camera stopped playing the script after ~90min
note1: the case got a bit to hot for my liking
note2: some condensation inside made me think this might not be the best idea. either i add a gas valve to release the pressure inside or wat.
note3: when i place the charging module directly on the pad it gets twice the current out (12v/400mA). the 3mm of clear plexiglass the inclosure adds to the distance between the module and the pad might play in this.

Code:
# XIAOMI YI
# https://github.com/5shekel/yi

#runs ftp server ftp://192.168.42.1/
#author: nutsey & nikulin
sleep 2
lu_util exec 'nohup tcpsvd -u root -vE 0.0.0.0 21 ftpd -w / >> /dev/null 2>&1 &'

sleep 10

#MAIN LOOP thanx VOTerra
while true
do
t app key shutter
#LONG BEEP
t pwm 1 enable
sleep 1
t pwm 1 disable
sleep 16
done

and the ftp mirror command , using lftp. running every minute
Code:
 lftp -e "open 192.168.42.1; mirror --continue --Remove-source-files --verbose /tmp/fuse_d/DCIM images/"
note --Remove-source-files deletes the source from the yi after completed d/l. i currently removed that option.

some more pics & details in wiki format

Last edited:
Great job !
I believe now we have to wait few month after we see your idea taken into mass-production by our friends in China ? ;)

Back