Wireless transmission from your dashcam

Mtz

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro TeleQuad
If you are thinking for a cheap way to transmit wirelessly the live image from your camera (like a surveillance camera) you can think to some kit named as:
2.4GHZ Wireless RCA Video Transmitter & Receiver Kit
which can be found on ebay and Aliexpress for about $20. You can find two types, the difference is for the receiver which can be 12V or 5V

1. The wireless kit with 12V for transmitter and 12V for receiver:
2.4GHZ Wireless RCA Video Transmitter & Receiver kit Wireless Car Rear View System
If you have some LCD Display with Video In or any video device with 12V input this is the best choice.

More pictures HERE

2. The wireless kit with 12V for tramsnitter and 5V (MiniUSB) for receiver:
2.4GHZ Wireless RCA Transmitter & Receiver for Car Rearview Camera Video Monitor
If you have some GPS with Video In or any video device with 5V input this is the best choice.

More pictures HERE
This is the wireless kit usually sold for GPS because of 5V input. For me is better this kit because is easy for me to offer some 5V input instead of 12V.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The RCA standard is SD (standard definition), up to 720x576. Even if your camera is recording as FullHD (1080p) the RCA output is another video resolution, just SD, usually at 720x480 @ 29.976fps. That SD resolution is offered by the RCA camera output and transmitted by your Wi-Fi setup.
You must consider also the interference so the video is not clean, but will be something as the CCTV cameras.

3. Portable wireless reception from dash cam (and recording)

Recorded video file by AV25.

enjoy,
Mtz

Attachments

• 7-tx.jpg
    7-tx.jpg
    527.8 KB · Views: 752
  • Live streaming reception.jpg
    Live streaming reception.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 538
Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. I was looking into these

Interesting your solution also, but:
- it is only for transfer, not live feed (some people want a surveillance camera and this is one reason why they use Parking Mode)
- I don't want to think if the memory will corrupt because of some bad manipulation. Losing $100.
- as I read in many places, when using dashcams, because of continue writing on card we can expect someday the card stop working. So a better idea is to have it as an adapter and insert in it our micro sd card.

Watched some videos from youtube and the speed is not great and they transferred pictures. But what about video? And I don't know about wireless signal.

enjoy,
Mtz

I have had a few wireless cameras and i'm not impressed, lots of interference.
I believe that it can be good, but definitely not for 20$

I was showing just the cheaper and the easy solution. For people with experience in networking there are many powerful solutions.
This topic is just giving an example and people can have a start point in their searching. And this $20 solution is not keep them away from this idea compared if I presented some $200 setup or a complicated DYI including building a cloverleaf antenna.
Myself I bought few months ago for the same price just the circuit boards. Worked a lot and finished damaging the TX when soldering the wires.

Now my new transmitter have a switch because I don't want to be always powered on to send live video stream, but didn't included in first post or video because I want to keep the things simple as possible.

Of course the experienced users are welcomed for the people which want more like more coverage, better filtered signal.
And even improving this setup by adding for example some capacitors or some simple mod like my previous switch.

Just remember that the RCA connection is a SD video standard so the output is not HD which means the resolution is lower than the camera recordings.

enjoy,
Mtz

Attachments

• DYI Transmitter  and Receiver with cloverleaf antenna.jpg
    DYI Transmitter and Receiver with cloverleaf antenna.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 822
Some very good, inexpensive solutions!

:roll:
And more than that, I have some standalone HD Media Player which have a recording function. I don't use it so much so now I have a job for it.
I scheduled recording for every night from 10PM to 7AM so when I am coming home with the car and it is in my wireless area my player (recoder) will automatically start recording based on my timer list. If I am not coming home some nights there will be no recorded files because no video signal received.
:shock:

enjoy,
Mtz

Attachments

• REC1.jpg
    REC1.jpg
    557.9 KB · Views: 774
  • REC2.jpg
    REC2.jpg
    623.9 KB · Views: 774
Great stuff Mtz. That is quite impressive.

The trouble I find with 2.4GHz analogue video tranceivers is that the 2.4GHz spectrum is so over-crowded with devices (wifi, bluetooth, etc) that receiving without interference can be a challenge. Just a heads up that your mileage may vary to anyone making use of these, I've a lot of experience with them! 5.8GHz is better (for now) but there aren't so many cheap devices available.

Also Mtz any particular reason why you've superimposed a screen capture from your camera onto the photo of the media player screen rather than show the actual video? (or is this just an illustration of what you might do if you purchased such a product, and you've not done so yet?)

Didn't found something like that for 5.8GHz band. The second picture set is a 5.8GHz one, which before damaging it, I tested and I am still not sure if 5.8 is better for sure than 2.4 for my place. Many people are scared about the problems with 2.4GHz and I am not sure if this is true for every location. AI think most of them will not have problems with this band.

Here are the reasons why I don't want to use a real screenshot:
1. - I don't want to use a real screenshot from my real location (which is not looking like a parking place)
2. - I want to show something like a parking lot and a clear picture (look down for more)
3. - As you can see in the screenshot tests, when I made the test there are some icons on the screen because of the camera. If using that screenshot some user can ask: "hey Mtz from where are coming that icons? Why are there?" and I don't want to give explanations for things which are not important and complicate my thread idea. That icons are from the camera, I can remove them from the camera settings and the only things which will be recorded will be the red dot and the counter which you can see are outside of the active image.
That red dot is helping me if I want to easy scroll, or play at high speed, or FF the wireless recording to the parts where was motion in front of my camera. If no red dot, no motion so that part could be not interesting for me.

Here are 3 screenshots from the recorder at 720x480 at 29.97fps test, I don't have interference lines (noise) permanent, but maybe sometimes maybe depending of movement.

I updated the first post with the latest two screenshots.

enjoy,
Mtz

Attachments

• NoProgName_20121226_1557.mpg_snapshot_00.58_[2013.02.12_10.20.56].png
    NoProgName_20121226_1557.mpg_snapshot_00.58_[2013.02.12_10.20.56].png
    649.6 KB · Views: 226
  • NoProgName_20121226_1557.mpg_snapshot_02.37_[2013.02.12_10.35.16].png
    NoProgName_20121226_1557.mpg_snapshot_02.37_[2013.02.12_10.35.16].png
    653.8 KB · Views: 226
  • NoProgName_20121226_1557.mpg_snapshot_02.57_[2013.02.12_10.22.15].png
    NoProgName_20121226_1557.mpg_snapshot_02.57_[2013.02.12_10.22.15].png
    720.7 KB · Views: 226
Updated the first post with another wireless kit video and pictures, named:
2.4GHZ Wireless RCA Transmitter & Receiver for Car Rearview Camera Video Monitor

The advantage of this kit is because you can use a USB 5V power input which is available on any PC, laptop, new TV with USB and even you can use it with any standalone display which have video input.

enjoy,
Mtz

Updated the first post with the example for wireless portable reception and optional recording of Live video streeam.

enjoy,
Mtz

Is possible to be more powerful just because of the antenna. I think if the chipset or technology is the same only a better antenna can add some improvement.
About your link:
- if more powerful I think it will need more battery power
- for $25 you have there only the transmitter
- I like more my case, but yours I think it have also Audio out. You can see a screenshot of my mounted case in the first post of this thread.

But is good to see other alternatives not only based on price but also on power and quality and for example in the same store we can find this or this which claims 500mw wireless power. But I am interested also about size.

enjoy,
Mtz

Are almost the same as my first example which was bought from this store but you can buy from your link.
The difference between first example and second example is that the receiver from second example is working at 5V compared to your which is working at 12V. For my personal setup is better the receiver for 5V. But the store which sell the 5V version seems to not have this product in stock. Is easy to identify the 5V product because the receiver doesn't have a cable for Power in because on that side is the Mini USB connector.
Regarding transmitters, all are working at 12V.

If you will find somewhere the kit with 5V receiver please report, even if you wii use the one with 12V.

The transmission can be more than 50m in open space. For my personal setup is working from my parking place into my home, about 20m without problems because of walls.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back