Woman crashes into car - blames other driver

Seems to me this is a case of lazy application of simplistic 'rules'.
If vehicle A hits vehicle B many people will assume vehicle A is to blame. Which is false if vehicle B travelled into the path of vehicle A which had right of way.

I am one who generally, but not always side with the cops. A few of my videos and posting, are about lack of compliance to making a lane change when approaching police officer and other emergency vehicles on the side of the road. In Ontario, there is a few suggestion laws, such as no high speed chases, mentioned over the years I am uncomfortable with. I can understand there are fatal collisions with high speed chases, but it will allow the bad guys to get away .

I also watch 48 hours, forensic files and other true crime shows and although for the most part am fascinated in forensics, but I am appalled by the few cases of sloppy police i have become aware of.

I am one, who sees reckless driving by our police and am I concerned about.
Earlier in the year in Toronto there was a police officer in court for traveling without having sirens at a high speed (130 in 50 kph zone) that hit and killed a pedestrian (jaywalker I think) that was charged. He was acquitted. I posted about it. Also there is the case officer hitting the bicyclist on a lane change in San Francisco

Here is a case of an officer going thru a red with no sirens. Witnesses claim he was on a cell phone.

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Lets hope he is held accountable for his actions.

Oh yes. the Brampton Video has hit 1.3 million views with numerous commentators saying time to get a dash cam. May be a small spike in interest and sales.

In Ontario, there is a few suggestion laws, such as no high speed chases, mentioned over the years I am uncomfortable with. I can understand there are fatal collisions with high speed chases, but it will allow the bad guys to get away.

The percentage of police chases that end in crashes is appalling, at least in the USA. And it doesn't matter how well the police drive because it's the ones fleeing who usually crash.

It would definitely save lives if the police didn't engage in these pursuits. But then any criminal could guarantee getting away just by hopping in a car.

Sent from my tap-to-talk using Tapatalk

There are times when a chase is proper, but rarely for only a traffic offense is it proper. What irks me more is when they can get ahead of the offender and have enough cars to box them in, but instead only follow along as if that's actually helping the public best. Better to let the fool go hoping they will slow down soon than to add to the number of speeding cars endlessly :mad:

Phil

...Better to let the fool go hoping they will slow down soon...
That's probably more wishful thinking than statistical likelihood. :(

Well they don't slow down with ten Cops behind them, that's for sure. At least trying something different might change that so I stand with my way off thinking-some chance is better than no chance. If they'd restrict chases to only the worst crimes I'd be fine with the Cops using a RPG to immobilize the vehicle trying to run away.

Phil

...I'd be fine with the Cops using a RPG to immobilize the vehicle trying to run away.

Phil
Now THAT could be not only a workable alternative but possibly a deterrent as well. :D

Arming police and news helicopters with some sort of missile would go a long way towards ending these stupid police chases early on.
Instead of using explosives, the missiles could be filled with sleeping gas and/or be designed to administer high voltage to knockout the car's electronics:D

Instead of using explosives, the missiles could be filled with sleeping gas and/or be designed to administer high voltage to knockout the car's electronics:D
Yeah, but H.E. would make for much more entertaining news video. :D

(And you can't overlook the deterrent factor. :rolleyes: )

I'm sure there are more drones than are needed for military use. We could use those to track criminal drivers. And take suitable action when the time is right.

Excellent training for the operators, too!

Sent from my tap-to-talk using Tapatalk

I'm sure there are more drones than are needed for military use. We could use those to track criminal drivers. And take suitable action when the time is right.

Excellent training for the operators, too!
We do have police drones, but they are not fast enough for a high speed chase. The IR cameras do come in useful for other things though:
https://twitter.com/dc_policedrones

Well they don't slow down with ten Cops behind them, that's for sure. At least trying something different might change that so I stand with my way off thinking-some chance is better than no chance. If they'd restrict chases to only the worst crimes I'd be fine with the Cops using a RPG to immobilize the vehicle trying to run away.

Phil
In the UK where our vehicle number plates can be read without having to get within a few feet of the vehicle and all traffic cops have working cameras in their cars connected to the ANPR database, the police will normally abandon any chase as soon as it starts. When the driver arrives home he will find the police waiting for him/her outside their house complete with video evidence of whatever the offence was.

It's a bit boring, but is far safer for all the other road users.

Of course there are a few exceptions where the vehicle is stolen or where they believe they need to collect evidence from the vehicle but the number is small enough that they can often follow the vehicle with a helicopter making a high speed chase unnecessary.

s
Thanks for that advice. I hadn't thought of that aspect of it.

This brings up a question. The camera I ordered (Ddpai M6+) does not have a screen. Can an iPhone view raw dash cam videos? If so, I could by a micro SD card reader for the iPhone and use it to review video immediately after an accident.

Meh. I just remembered. I can download or preview the videos on my iPhone using the wifi built in to the cam. Never mind.
Apple has locked out OTG playback. I have used a few cameras over the past couple of years but only two of them are "seen" by my iPads. Still they need to be downloaded to the tablet before it can play them. I would just get a Android device for 100-200 bucks. That's what I did, and just keep it in my car.

Judging by thread title the woman is heading for a stunning career as a politician, maybe she beat Hillary to the oval office.

Politicians handbook.

Rule #1. never admit fault - blame other and deny deny deny.

Funny thing that's also the #1 rule in the criminals handbook :eek: there it just read " never admit anything - blame other and deny deny deny.
Just go to show how closely related the 2 trades are.

This have been a general knowledge service statement,,,,,,,, end of infomercial :D

yeah it is indeed a popular modus operandi.

What am I missing here???

There are no green arrows, only green circles. Doesn't this mean the woman that hit the cam car is at fault either way???

- If her light was red, then why was she turning?
- If her light was green, she still had to WAIT...

Seriously, what was there for the cop to figure out?

What am I missing here???

There are no green arrows, only green circles. Doesn't this mean the woman that hit the cam car is at fault either way???

- If her light was red, then why was she turning?
- If her light was green, she still had to WAIT...

Seriously, what was there for the cop to figure out?
Exactly, even this side of the pond, a green light (for ahead or turning) only means proceed if the junction is clear or if safe to do so. It doesn't mean green light so shut your eyes and go for it. You would think that even with all those witnesses on her side, the cop would side with the person going straight.

...You would think that even with all those witnesses on her side, the cop would side with the person going straight.
That would be logical, but if the witnesses said the person going straight ran the red light you can see how the outcome came to be.

That would be logical, but if the witnesses said the person going straight ran the red light you can see how the outcome came to be.
Oh yes, but if there is no set filter arrow on her side, it would mean that she also ran a red.

Back