Wondering if the A129 Plus Duo meets my needs

Bingsheding

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all,

I was looking for a cam that had a specific feature set and was wondering if you'd help me out. There's a lot of hit and run parking collisions on the road where I live, and I was thinking about gifting myself a cam for christmas and decided to pull the trigger early when some jackass took my side mirror off an didn't stop to leave a note. Originally I went with the AKASO DL12 but decided to return it after discovering two critical flaws:
  • The parking mode requires the camera to fully boot up before recording. I tested the recording delay by gently flicking the camera to trigger the g-sensor and audibly counting, and found that it takes a whopping ten seconds before footage starts hitting the card. Any idiot will be long gone by that time. There's a mode that causes the cameras to record continuously but frustratingly this isn't a solution because the video lock still has a ten second delay which means I'm rolling the dice with footage getting looped over.
  • I used this 3-lead hardwiring kit for power, but found that the DL12 doesn't fully support the ACC feature. It will enter parking mode on its own when the engine is turned off, but will not wake up when it is turned on. I have played with every combination of settings on the wiring kit and tried three different fuses but I just can't get the thing to turn on when I turn the key. I know it is getting the proper signal because I tested it with a voltmeter on both ends.
So I'm wondering if the A129 Plus Duo fixes these issues. My hope is that if I'm hit again the camera will start recording soon enough to pick up a plate before it gets too far. I read that this model used to have a buffering feature that would keep 15 seconds of footage in RAM before being activated, but was removed for being way too unstable. I'm okay with that as long as the camera starts to record almost immediately, but I don't know if that's a reasonable expectation on an unbuffered parking mode.

If it isn't, I'm happy to shell out the extra money on the Pro model (or whatever you would recommend) that has the buffered parking mode feature if that's what's necessary for my intended use case, but would like to avoid spending the extra money if it's not.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Back