Upgrade from A129 Pro Duo. Which Camera Should I go with? Starvis 2 camera only

Gabrielkbkim

Reaction score
Country
United States
So. I have been frustrated with the A129 Pro Duo.
It over heats very easily when I am using 4K front 21:9.
Now GPS module died after my warranty period ended.

So I am looking to get a replacement and Recently I've seen lot of YouTube video that you should get STARVIS 2 Camera.
I don't really have much money to spend and I was researching a lot of Starvis 2 Cameras
Thinkware & Blackvue way out of budget of 300$
I first looked at 70mai A810 Very affordable with Starvis 2 Camera at front but heard rear camera is trash.
A119 Mini 2 is only one channel.
A139 Pro duo over heats alot like A129 Pro duo with no sceen. and wifi is not reliable
Vantrue N4 Pro has high review but out of my budget. $379.00
A229 Pro & A229 Plus I feel like it is going to be same as A129 Where it overheats and break right after warranty expires.
Vantrue S1 Pro seems like it is affordable with front Starvis 2 Camera and buffered parking mode.

I am more leaning on to purchasing Vantrue S1 Pro. Am I making the right decision or should I get something else

Replacement GPS modules are available:

It over heats very easily when I am using 4K front 21:9.
It shouldn't be overheating when driving, when parked on sunny summer days it is not unusual.

Given your budget, how about moving the A129 Pro to the rear, replace the GPS module to keep the time correct, and get an A119 Mini 2 for the front? I would go for an A229 Pro single channel for the front; in single channel form, it is I think significantly less likely to shut down due to temperature in parking mode than the Mini 2 or A129 Pro Duo.

Am I making the right decision or should I get something else
Welcome to the club.
@Nigel has a fantastic idea.
Running the A129 Pro in 1-CH configuration will significantly reduce it’s heat signature.
Move the A129 Pro 1-CH to the rear window with a new $17 GPS mount.
Then get an A119 Mini 2 ($115) for the front window.
Or, if you have the money an A229 Pro 1-CH ($230) for the front window.
-Chuck

Attachments

• 3 .png
    3 .png
    327.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 2 .png
    2 .png
    150.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 1 .png
    1 .png
    410.1 KB · Views: 5
Welcome to the club.
@Nigel has a fantastic idea.
Running the A129 Pro in 1-CH configuration will significantly reduce it’s heat signature.
Move the A129 Pro 1-CH to the rear window with a new $17 GPS mount.
Then get an A119 Mini 2 ($115) for the front window.
Or, if you have the money an A229 Pro 1-CH ($230) for the front window.
-Chuck
Hello Thank you for the reply.
I was wanting an all in one device. so i can access front and rear footage at once.
I am thinking about getting the GPS 17$ part and moving it to a different vehicle.
Any suggestion for 2ch dash cam? is S1 Pro a Good Camera?

Replacement GPS modules are available:

It shouldn't be overheating when driving, when parked on sunny summer days it is not unusual.

Given your budget, how about moving the A129 Pro to the rear, replace the GPS module to keep the time correct, and get an A119 Mini 2 for the front? I would go for an A229 Pro single channel for the front; in single channel form, it is I think significantly less likely to shut down due to temperature in parking mode than the Mini 2 or A129 Pro Duo.
Hello Thank you for the reply.
I was wanting an all in one device. so i can access front and rear footage at once.
I am thinking about getting the GPS 17$ part and moving it to a different vehicle.
Any suggestion for 2ch dash cam? is S1 Pro a Good Camera?

OK, you can put an A119 Mini 2 on the rear window, and use the Voice Commands to say; “Turn On Wi-Fi” then connect your smartphone to download videos.
Get another A119 Mini 2 for the front window, or A229 Pro 1-CH.
If you must have a 2-CH camera I would recommend the A229 Pro 2-CH, but the rear camera has no optional CPL Filter.
And the A119 Mini 2 has better image quality than the rear camera of the A229 Pro.
is S1 Pro a Good Camera?
I tested the S1 Pro here;
The FRONT camera hardware is capable, but the night time HDR performance is not functioning properly.
The S1 Pro REAR camera is only 1080p, and not STARVIS 2.
I can not recommend the S1 Pro FRONT at this time.
I would never recommend the S1 Pro REAR camera.

OK, you can put an A119 Mini 2 on the rear window, and use the Voice Commands to say; “Turn On Wi-Fi” then connect your smartphone to download videos.
Get another A119 Mini 2 for the front window, or A229 Pro 1-CH.
If you must have a 2-CH camera I would recommend the A229 Pro 2-CH, but the rear camera has no optional CPL Filter.
And the A119 Mini 2 has better image quality than the rear camera of the A229 Pro.

I tested the S1 Pro here;
The FRONT camera hardware is capable, but the night time HDR performance is not functioning properly.
The S1 Pro REAR camera is only 1080p, and not STARVIS 2.
I can not recommend the S1 Pro FRONT at this time.
I would never recommend the S1 Pro REAR camera.
I see. Didn't S1 pro Firmware upgrade fix the issues you had?
Also What about VIOFO VS1. Is it better to get Mini 2?

Didn't S1 pro Firmware upgrade fix the issues
No.

What about VIOFO VS1. Is it better to get Mini 2?
I haven’t tested the VS1 yet, so I can’t say for sure.
Based on what I’m seeing I think the A119 Mini 2 has better image quality.
Also, there is currently no optional CPL Filter for the VS1, but that might change.

Back