Wondering

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
The camera phones that have both B&W + color sensors and combine the two to make things better, wonder if we will see that in dashcams too.
Or if its just confined to photo and not video.

The camera phones that have both B&W + color sensors and combine the two to make things better, wonder if we will see that in dashcams too.
Or if its just confined to photo and not video.
I don't think it will happen, a lot of extra cost for a smallish improvement, and we could gain similar improvements by using better sensors, the sensors we are currently using are not the very best available because the best are expensive, but maybe not as expensive as an extra sensor + extra lens.

Also with 2 sensors there would be double the heat, and most cameras are already close to the limit on heat.

I don't think many phones actually do this either, mainly because it doesn't work very well! Most multi-sensor cameras are using them for different focal lengths - a wide angle and a zoom. And if I had a dash camera with 2 lenses facing the same direction, I would also choose a wide angle and zoom over a colour and monochrome.

I don't see the basic layout and operation of dashcams changing; design-wise they're close to optimum now. Next "big thing" will probably be better sensors as that seems to be the main limiting factor now. But there is an opening for something unusual with the 'dual' and 'dual remote' types where the secondary cam options could include a telephoto or a variety of FOV angles and aspect ratio formats for us to chose from. That could partially fill the need Kamkar1 speaks of and others too.

I honestly don't see much exciting ahead in single cams in the near future partially due to hardware costs and part due to development costs, but with secondary cams there's a lot of possibilities which wouldn't cost as much to bring to market.

Phil

yeah but in phone cameras the B&W + color cameras seem to be better at resolving details, but i imagine it only work like that in photo mode.
The new Nokia 9 are having a hard time working all those sensors, and its sure as hell not using them all in video mode.
The photos that phone spit out are like 25 - 40 MB in size

But yeah, the path of better single sensors are probably the best, and cheapest, and if you are going to merge 2 video steams on the fly you need a hell of a lot processing power i assume.

Processing power is easy in a computer, but not with a SOC set-up. So you'd essentially need most of 2 cams being merged into one, complete with doubled heat sources. Phone cams do amazingly well now and it's rare that you see someone like me with a non-pro-grade digital cam in use instead. Phone manufacturers already have the best engineers on staff and can amortize development costs across millions of phones so they can do lots of things. Dashcam manufacturers have fewer units to spread those costs over and can't afford an equal level of engineers on their staff.

It isn't that it can't be done as much as that it won't be done.

Phil

I like the periscope optical zoom lens in the new Huawei p30, pretty cool you can do such things in a after all pretty limited space.

I am also wondering how large a battery i can cram into my little car, will have to investigate how much room i have above the battery as a little taller & longer ones can give me a whopping 60 AH where i think the original one are 45 AH.
Also how much reach there are on the battery wires if the terminals get to be 30 CM higher up, but i think there are enough flex, otherwise i have fat ass power wire from my car audio days, that can easy match what the original wire can handle, so i might be able to replace the original wire with something a little longer + i get to use my gold plated battery clamps again.

I have lowered the cut off on the K2S "hard wire" kit to 12.2 V so will be interesting to see tomorrow for how long it have been recording..
The voltage readout i have in my car say 13 V on the battery, but i doubt that as with 12.4 V cut off i only got just shy of 5 hours of parking mode. So i don't have high hopes for 12.2 cut off.

New 60 AH battery if it fit are a 1200 DKkr / 180 USD write off.

Back