Write Protecting interesting wildlife encounters.

Bullwinkle12

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I would like to find a dash camera which allows me to press a button so that I can protect the previous few minutes from being overwritten. In the past I have had to pull over, take out my laptop, and save the entire contents of the camera's memory. This is a terrible waste of time on a long trip. Can anyone suggest a camera which can save events.

Most dash cams these days have such a feature. Pretty much all dash cams will write protect a file in the event of an accident if set to respond to an impact (low,med,high) and most also have a button one can press to achieve the same thing manually. Some cameras will also protect the file before or after the one you want to write protect depending on the length of the clip.

Welcome to DCT @Bullwinkle12

Dashcams differ in what they save. With some it's as little as 5 seconds and others save the whole current file, while others still vary which files or parts are saved based on how much of the current file has been written to.

Exactly how much do you want saved before and after you hit the button?
What video quality do you want?
What's your budget?

Phil

Welcome to the forum Bullwinkle

All dashcams have such a button, it is called the emergency or event button.
BUT ! it is very different how it behave when you press that button,
The best performing cameras in this regard ( IMO ) are the street guardian cameras, they deal in segments and two of them, and so if you use 3 minute segment size you will get 6 minutes saved.
If the current segment are less than 50% done, it will be locked + the previous one. ( so you will have 4.5 minutes before and 1.5 minutes after,,,, assuming 3 min segment size are used )
If the current segment are over 50% done, the current segment will be locked plus the following one. ( so you will have 1.5 minutes before and 4.5 minutes after, again assuming 3 minute segment size and worst case )

Other might save the current segment only, which is bad if you are pressing the button right at the start of a new segment or right near the end.
Others will have a memory buffer ( often 20 seconds ) and then lock 30 seconds after that for a total of 50 seconds.

Now the cameras that deal in segments you can change using another segment size, i think at least 5 minutes are possible, maybe even 10 minutes, but really you should not use that big segment sizes.

What you should do is buy a plenty large memory card, which today mean at least 128 GB but if the camera support it 256GB would be even better, a 128 GB card in a 1080p system with 2 cameras should at least have room for 8 hours of recording, so you will have to drive for a long timer after your "event" to loose the footage you might want to save that are not within the locked file / files.

If you are driving really far, and want to be absolutely sure you get everything, or everything in locked files + what might be around them, you should stop every X - XX hours and copy your footage to a laptop hard drive.

By using the camera in your chosen configuration it will be easy to calculate how much memory space the camera need for 1 hour of recording, and then depending on memory card size calculate how many hours you can store before recycling begin.
Just make sure to have a fast card reader on a fast USB port, cuz if either of these are slow, copying many GB of recording will take some time.

So get your system in good time, familiarize yourself with it, and what it can do for record duration with your memory card, then you should be good to go.
A really slow card reader or USB port and you can only copy files at 20 MB/ second, if you have a fast card reader on a fast USB port ( USB 3.0 or better ) you can get the full read speed of your memory card which are often around 90 MB/second.
Remember to copy files off the memory card, do not move the files to another storage media

A expensive way to do it could also be using several memory cards and just swap when they are full and so have everything saved, but if you are going to drive across a big chunk of your not pea sized country, then thats probably a unsustainable solution.
But many of us addicts we have one or more spare cards in the car just in case,,,, CUZ after a decade of dashcam use we get like withdrawal symptoms if there are nothing recording in our car.

Last edited:
I would like to find a dash camera which allows me to press a button so that I can protect the previous few minutes from being overwritten. In the past I have had to pull over, take out my laptop, and save the entire contents of the camera's memory. This is a terrible waste of time on a long trip. Can anyone suggest a camera which can save events.
Thank you to those who replied. I feel better knowing most new dash cameras have an event feature. I am going to cross Canada this summer and my experience is that, while driving alone, I will encounter moose, deer, bears, eagles, storks, pronghorn antelope, and mountain sheep, on or near the highway. As well there are times, when rounding a corner, there is a scenic vista which begs to be retained on video. I have checked the specifications on Garmin devices and they expect me to have a conversation with the camera before it will save a mere 10 seconds of video. I'll have no time for that and people who drive in the mountains know that distracted drivers don't fare well.

I am willing to buy an expensive dash cam to get a user friendly device which can allow me to write protect a video segment at least one minute before and one minute after I press a manual button (more time would be welcome). I will continue searching but any firther hel would be much appreciated.

With my Garmin 57 and Mini2 there are buttons to save files with as well as the 'voice' feature. The 57 is a very good cam for your purposes if you use a large card; a 128GB size will hold more than a long day's worth of driving without overwriting of older files so you wouldn't need to lock a file to retain it and you could use your vid viewing or editing platform to include as much or as little of the clip as you want to save.

@lacibaci is our Garmin expert here and can confirm this, but IIRC driving files are saved complete and continuous even interspersed with locked files; this would allow you to use the 'voice' feature to bookmark the time of highlights you want to save, then you can quickly find the full recording in driving files to save as much of the event as you want.

The only issue I have with my Garmin cams is the "Drive" app which does not like my older Android phone, requiring some gymnastics to use. Since I only use the app for settings it's not a big problem but if you intend to use the cam's wifi this might be a problem. All cam wifi is slow to work so I prefer to get files directly from my card to my laptop anyway so no real problem for me, and most folks don't have any issue using the app but it is something to be aware of.

Envious of your planned trip and I hop you enjoy it thoroughly!

Phil

Unfortunately, Garmin changed the behavior of saved and event videos. For the latest line DCX7, Mini2... They only save 15 sec before and after the event.
Also, saved and event footage is removed from normal (unsaved) folder. There is an 15 seconds overlap at the start, but it is too close for me :(

Back