Write protection on file

I reset the name of the video back to REC_ from Cam1. This appears to have done nothing.
Question: When a file has been successfully write protected, does it appear differently when one reviews (on the computer) all of the videos taken while driving? For instance, does it say "Write Protected"? I have to ask because I haven't seen one yet.
Regardless, I am now going to push the Reset button on the camera itself. Hopefully this will set things straight. Let you know after a few more test runs.

On a Mac, locked files will appear with a tiny lock icon on the lower left corner of the thumbnail.

I've enlarged this screen shot for a better view. I'm unable to boot into my Windows 7 VM at the moment, so maybe someone else can post that one.

lockefiles.jpg

On a Mac, locked files will appear with a tiny lock icon on the lower left corner of the thumbnail.

I've enlarged this screen shot for a better view. I'm unable to boot into my Windows 7 VM at the moment, so maybe someone else can post that one.

View attachment 24200
Thank you for that, Dashmellow. I have a Windows 7 system, but still haven't noticed anything out of the norm. I will endeavour to persevere.

Thank you for that, Dashmellow. I have a Windows 7 system, but still haven't noticed anything out of the norm. I will endeavour to persevere.

you would have to check the file attributes

more simple way is just use Registrator Viewer to view your files, it will automatically show which files are locked

you would have to check the file attributes

more simple way is just use Registrator Viewer to view your files, it will automatically show which files are locked

I think the Mac wins on this one. Just looking at all the files within a folder tells you if they're locked, whereas under Windows you need to manually check the properties of each individual file to know.

I think the Mac wins on this one. Just looking at all the files within a folder tells you if they're locked, whereas under Windows you need to manually check the properties of each individual file to know.

yeah by more simple I just meant more simple than having to manually check file attributes, was only referring to Windows in this case

yeah by more simple I just meant more simple than having to manually check file attributes, was only referring to Windows in this case

Yeah, Registrator Viewer definitely makes it easier.

I use both Mac and Windows 7 Pro on the same dual monitor computer via a virtual machine and Windows excels in many areas and Mac does in others. In this case, with the Mac, you don't need to go digging for the locked attribute which is a plus for people viewing folders of dash cam files. I can't think of any other scenarios other than G-sensor enabled dash cams where you might end up with some automatically (but possibly unexpected and unknown) locked files in a folder and some not.

Last edited:
On a windows machine displaying details it is as simple as right clicking on the bar that says the file name and type etc. and selecting Attributes (it could be under the more button). Protected files will now show as RA, and can be sorted or grouped easily.

On a windows machine displaying details it is as simple as right clicking on the bar that says the file name and type etc. and selecting Attributes (it could be under the more button). Protected files will now show as RA, and can be sorted or grouped easily.
I just checked the files on my Mobius C2 and they all appeared the same. I didn't see anything that would suggest that any file had been saved or 'write-protected'. I'm trying to wrap my brain around the fact that all these extra steps must be taken in order to find the saved files. On Dashmellow's display above, one can clearly see on the Mac version, the locked files stand out due to the small box in the bottom left corner of the display line. Simple. On the Windows version that I have, there is nothing to show which files are locked and which are not.
I am going to start once again by wiping the slate clean and start recording again. I will take a pencil and paper and jot down the date/time I push the mode button to save or 'write-protect' a file.
Now, when I save a file, it should remain there until I wish to remove it. Am I correct? In other words, the loop recording which I have set up will 'skip over' that file and not erase it. So, let's say I save a file from this evening, and don't check my files again until the end of August. There should be a file from 03 July, and the rest should be the last day or two of August. Correct?:eek::confused: Having said all that, I will continue to endeavour to persevere...

I just checked the files on my Mobius C2 and they all appeared the same. I didn't see anything that would suggest that any file had been saved or 'write-protected'. I'm trying to wrap my brain around the fact that all these extra steps must be taken in order to find the saved files. On Dashmellow's display above, one can clearly see on the Mac version, the locked files stand out due to the small box in the bottom left corner of the display line. Simple. On the Windows version that I have, there is nothing to show which files are locked and which are not.
I am going to start once again by wiping the slate clean and start recording again. I will take a pencil and paper and jot down the date/time I push the mode button to save or 'write-protect' a file.
Now, when I save a file, it should remain there until I wish to remove it. Am I correct? In other words, the loop recording which I have set up will 'skip over' that file and not erase it. So, let's say I save a file from this evening, and don't check my files again until the end of August. There should be a file from 03 July, and the rest should be the last day or two of August. Correct?:eek::confused: Having said all that, I will continue to endeavour to persevere...
Back from rather lengthy test period. It would appear that after all the changes I made, ie: resetting the camera, the 'saved' files problem that I was experiencing seems to be a thing of the past. As mentioned above, I recorded all the times and dates on a piece of paper of the files that I 'write-protected', and lo and behold, it actually worked as it should. All these files were saved. Will miracles never cease? My faith in the Mobius C2 has been restored. :D
PS: It feels odd to reply to my own post...

Here is a photo of my Mobius C2 dashcam. (A very large photo at that) I have read in other threads that there was some trouble fumbling for the mode button during driving in order to 'capture the moment'. I have modified my Mobius mode button so that there is no mistaking, fumbling, bumbling, or even having to take your eyes of the road. I took a rubber nib, (the kind you would put on the end of a machine screw), sanded it down to the exact size required to fit it onto the mode button, and then adhered it with some epoxy, being extra careful not to get the glue where it isn't supposed to be. User friendly, easy on the eyes, and a safe alternative. IMG_3553.JPG

Back