XC70S a dashcam with so big lens

Mtz

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro TeleQuad (the best dashcam in the world!)
Actually, searching on google about XC70S will result in some Volvo cars. o_O

But I discovered it for the first time here.

It is great to have the combination of Ambarella A7LA50 and OV4689 which means for me a good image quality but what improvement can add such large lens?
From description I see the lens are HJ5022 and I remember Mini 0806 is using the good HJ5010 lens, so is possible to be made by the same factory. If the 10 number from HJ5010 can be 10mm, I expect 20 from HJ5022 to be 22mm?

Regarding specs, are almost the same as Mini 0805 Mini 0806 series, but adding some
Parking Mode (combining motion detection, screen off after 30 sec and button lights off) and some
Fix point speed camera alert (Optional - Needs regional data to support)
some
Voice support.

The weight is just 63 grams which means like 0805 or 0806, even the lens are big.
xc70s car dvr_1.jpg
Maybe in the future we will have a dashcam build around the lens. ;)

enjoy,
Mtz

Do you know the F number - eg F1.8 ?

A low number means it collects more light which means less motion blur...

Or maybe it is just to look good and inside there is a normal size lens!

I think Rayman can have the datasheet about HJ5022, maybe you can ask him about it and share with us the results. I know you are good about image stuff so you can offer more details regarding advantages of lens. I am not good regarding optical stuff. :(

jokiin
, so the question is around or inside lens? :D Around the lens the cooling will be better. :cool:

enjoy,
Mtz

@niko recommend this camera to me, we put it on foxoffer very soon.
The previous version use AR0330 sensor, now use OV4689 sensor, better video quality, after I checked the product, the build quality is also good.
The manfaucturer told me it now sell well in China.
I checked with the supplier if it use HJ5010 lens, they told me use HJ5022 which Ambarella suggested, I am checking if I can get more info about this lens.

Reactions: Mtz
@niko recommend this camera to me, we put it on foxoffer very soon.
The previous version use AR0330 sensor, now use OV4689 sensor, better video quality, after I checked the product, the build quality is also good.
The manfaucturer told me it now sell well in China.
I checked with the supplier if it use HJ5010 lens, they told me use HJ5022 which Ambarella suggested, I am checking if I can get more info about this lens.
Yeah, half year ago it was with AR0330.
I believe with ov4689 it will give much better IQ result.
The only concern from design point of view is bracket / mount ( clip connector ). Some other with similar design "connector" have little wobble. If its well built then it shoud be ok. U may test it in your car and tell your opinion.
Also raw files from day and night would be good.

Got some info about the lens from manafacture:
HJ5022 is 6G +1 IR lens, much wider view angle than HJ5010.
About the F number, HJ5010 is F2.0, HJ5022 is F1.8.

I got some RAW video from the supplier, will share the link after I upload to dropbox.

Got some info about the lens from manafacture:
HJ5022 is 6G +1 IR lens, much wider view angle than HJ5010.
About the F number, HJ5010 is F2.0, HJ5022 is F1.8.
Thank you for the information. But I don't think HJ5022 is wider compared to HJ5010. But what is surprising me is that it doesn't have the fisheye effect on the sides, but only top and bottom.
And now I remember asking myself why a dashcam needs wide view also for vertical. Because of this vertical height I must to mount the camera in a much lower position because black dots appear on the top of the video. And I really don't like to mount the camera in the middle of the windscreen just because the lens is too wide.

During day the image have some green-red-yellow tint. Maybe HDR was enabled?
I hope the voice can be muted and if available, to not be only in Chinese.

enjoy,
Mtz

And now I remember asking myself why a dashcam needs wide view also for vertical. Because of this vertical height I must to mount the camera in a much lower position because black dots appear on the top of the video. And I really don't like to mount the camera in the middle of the windscreen just because the lens is too wide.
You need a 21:9 mode like the mini 0805/0806 cameras - they prove that the top and bottom of a wide view are completely unnecessary and a waste of memory card space.

Yes, you are right, also this camera I expect to support 21:9 mode but many people don't like this mode. I remember old times when people want in any way to remove the black bars even the image was distorted.
I think is better to start with correct image, not distorted top and bottom because we don't need that areas.

My question for experts is: that top-bottom height is defined only by lens or also by the CMOS or firmware settings?
Is possible to find lens which have less distortion on vertical? On sides is accepted because people want wide angle on left-right.

enjoy,
Mtz

Remember this?
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/telescope-recorder-dv600.4839/

And then I ran across this window shopping in the DashCam mini-mall I visited in China
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/telescope-recorder-dv600.4839/page-2#post-59236
muja6a4y.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you are right, also this camera I expect to support 21:9 mode but many people don't like this mode. I remember old times when people want in any way to remove the black bars even the image was distorted.
I think is better to start with correct image, not distorted top and bottom because we don't need that areas.

My question for experts is: that top-bottom height is defined only by lens or also by the CMOS or firmware settings?
Is possible to find lens which have less distortion on vertical? On sides is accepted because people want wide angle on left-right.

enjoy,
Mtz
The lens is nearly always round so produces a square 1:1 aspect ratio image. Most sensors used to be 4:3, same as old TV, so didn't collect the top and bottom of the 1:1 image and the firmware then didn't use the top and bottom of the sensor image for 16:9. I think most newer sensors are 16:9 and the firmware ignores the top and bottom for 21:9 or ignores the sides if someone wants a traditional 4:3 photograph.

It is possible to get lenses without the fish eye distortion but with all the optical corrections they end up with less light getting through to the sensor so you get more motion blur. You can also enable the de-warp to remove the distortions digitally but then you loose detail in the corners because you are stretching the image. For a dashcam it is better to leave it distorted as long as the lens is reasonable.

I accepted the fish eye distortion.
I was thinking how to make a camera to not offer so much image from top (and bottom) just because I don't want to mount it much lower under the black area dots.
I know, first, I need a camera which have lens very close to windscreen. Second is this top-bottom height.

Look at this video and imagine where is the position of the lens compared to black dots area.

All my Mini is visible from outside because I cannot hide so much as I want.

And here is a video with the Mini mounted in that position from above:

Imagine where I need to put the Mini camera so that black dots to not appear into the video. :mad: Will be visible also a part of the mount.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
Back