Xiaomi Yi Custom firmware with lastest revision

Fried

Reaction score
Country
Italy
I creating this new thread, because in the other one it's becoming a little messy doing a firmware for everyone. I'll try to keep it up to date.
In here you'll find only two type of firmware, because are the same for different build of camera.
You can check md5 on your own to be sure about that.

Both of firmware are customized to get 35Mbps for every resolution in High Quality mode.
Medium and low quality are untouched.

Before flash rename it "firmware.bin" and copy in the root of microSD card.

Firmware Base : 1.2.13

1) For build : 22 - 23 - 23A - 23S
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxO_QexYT9EAT2xFWmZQcUtWUVU/view?usp=sharing

2) For build : 22L - 23L
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxO_QexYT9EAcVdRZy05OWt4alk/view?usp=sharing

Because is not a secret how to customize bitrates in a firmware I'll add the video that explain really well how to do it, and who want to try could do it ... :)

Enjoy...! ;)

Last edited:
23L-Version: I downloaded & renamed the file to firmware.bin, like I did with official firmwares, but it won't start to flash... It seems like something's wrong with the file. Any ideas? And: Does it *constantly* record with 35MBIT even after starting a new file? There seems to be a bug (at least when you enable 35MBIT via script): You can enable it, but it only works for the first file. When it starts the second file, the bitrate is down to 12 again. Can't wait for the next official firmware with 2K (hopefully with a higher bitrate than 12).

It's strange, are you sure you download it correctly? Because that file was flashed by other users without problem... for second file bitrate drop I don't know about it I never had that problem... if it didn't work I'll try to make firmware from 23L build and then if it works, also if they have same md5 maybe something change inside file... try again and let me know

I have two Xiaomi Cams. My second one is a 23S. I downloaded the other file and it flashed without problems... I created 5 files in a row and every file has about 35MBIT. THANKS FOR THAT!

I want to use 2,3k and 35MBIT, but I think that's not really possible at the moment. You can enable 2,3k and 30MBIT via script, but it has no effect. The bitrate is always 12MBIT, which is way too low for that resolution. Are you going to take a look at 2,3k and 35MBIT?

Still no success with 23L.

EDIT: I wanted to go back to official firmware, because the one from you causes a few side effects (terribly slow wifi-preview, strange behavior sometimes when turning on/off), but it won't flash the offcial firmware.bin of 1.2.11. maybe it's because of the same version. any ideas?

EDIT 2: Flashing problems solved. It was all caused by the battery. I've had about 40%, but that was too low. There was no message, nothing. It simply denied to flash... Sorry for any trouble. Be sure to plug a power bank in before flashing :)

Last edited:
I have two Xiaomi Cams. My second one is a 23S. I downloaded the other file and it flashed without problems... I created 5 files in a row and every file has about 35MBIT. THANKS FOR THAT!
Fine ! :)
I want to use 2,3k and 35MBIT, but I think that's not really possible at the moment. You can enable 2,3k and 30MBIT via script, but it has no effect. The bitrate is always 12MBIT, which is way too low for that resolution. Are you going to take a look at 2,3k and 35MBIT?
Via script you could enable 2k in the firmware I've already change bitrate for that resolution too
Still no success with 23L.

EDIT: I wanted to go back to official firmware, because the one from you causes a few side effects (terribly slow wifi-preview, strange behavior sometimes when turning on/off), but it won't flash the offcial firmware.bin of 1.2.11. maybe it's because of the same version. any ideas?

EDIT 2: Flashing problems solved. It was all caused by the battery. I've had about 40%, but that was too low. There was no message, nothing. It simply denied to flash... Sorry for any trouble. Be sure to plug a power bank in before flashing :)
these edit are all about 23L ? or not? anyway I think I'll make a single firmware for every build ...

It both worked: 23S and 23L. It seems like the app can't really deal with the higher bitrate, somehow it causes slow wifi-preview on both cams. do you have the same problem? I used the YiMax-Movie-Script to enable 2,3k, but it has "only" 30MBIT. Since I'm not really a "script kiddy" I need some help or a little script to just enable the resolution and nothing more. The YiMax-Script enables some other (unwanted) things, too.

Here are the lines:

#YiMAX-movie script by nutsey for 1.2.10 firmware
#This script is for video mode!
t ia2 -adj ev 10 0 60 0 0 140 0
#shadow/highlight clipping adjustments
t ia2 -adj l_expo 163
t ia2 -adj autoknee 255
#set gamma level
t ia2 -adj gamma 220
#enable 1296p30@30Mbps video
writeb 0xC06CE446 0x02
writew 0xC05C3016 0x41F0
#enable raw+jpeg stills
t app test debug_dump 14
sleep 9
#load GoPrawn config
t cal -ituner load d:\goprawn.config
sleep 1
#fix ae/awb/adj locks
t ia2 -3a 1 1 0 1
#ready beep
t pwm 1 enable
sleep 1
t pwm 1 disable

Other file "GoPrawn.config":
#GoPrawn config by nutsey
system.user_mode Normal
system.tuning_mode IMG_MODE_VIDEO
system.tuning_mode_ext SINGLE_SHOT
#aaa_function.ae_op 1
#aaa_function.awb_op 1
#aaa_function.adj_op 1
static_bad_pixel_correction.enable 3
auto_bad_pixel_correction.enable 4
cfa_leakage_filter.enable 1
cfa_noise_filter.enable 0
#anti_aliasing.enable 1
chroma_median_filter.enable 1
chroma_median_filter.cb_strength 160
chroma_median_filter.cr_strength 128
demosaic.activity_thresh 3
demosaic.grad_noise_thresh 32
sharpening_fir.fir_strength 64
sharpening_coring.coring_table 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 14
spatial_filter.mode 0
video_mctf.enable 1
chromatic_aberration_correction.enable 1
directional_sharpening.enable 0
chroma_filt.enable 0

try this for only enable 2k...

Attachments

• autoexec.zip
    222 bytes · Views: 232
It's working like a charm! THANKS ALOT for your quick replies and the support!!! I guess there's nothing we can do about the wifi-preview, but for me it's more important that I can take movies in 2k and a good bitrate. So - for now - I'm very satisfied!

it's recording at 35mbps right ? ;) ...
For wifi preview I think that it can't handle a highrate video, you could try to record at lower bitrate and see if it do it again....

yes, it's recording in 2k with 35MBIT. For test purposes I changed back to the official firmware and there is a much better wifi preview. I don't know how to lower the bitrate via script in your firmware. It seems like you don't have a bad wifi preview!?

EDIT: Did you test 1.2.11 beta debug firmware? I couldn't find a download link. I'm not on google plus. I think that's the only possibility to get this test firmware. There's also a new version of the app (alpha-status I think). Since they're going to officially release 2k in the next firmware, maybe they changed something in the wifi-preview-code. I'm also curious what bitrate 2k will have in the official firmware. I think it will be way too low. Maybe still 12MBIT like the full hd resolution. Do you have any informations about that?

Last edited:
yes, it's recording in 2k with 35MBIT. For test purposes I changed back to the official firmware and there is a much better wifi preview. I don't know how to lower the bitrate via script in your firmware. It seems like you don't have a bad wifi preview!?
I don't use wifi preview after recorded what I want I copy everything on pc :)
For a lower bitrate use a lower quality like medium or low they have default bitrates
EDIT: Did you test 1.2.11 beta debug firmware? I couldn't find a download link. I'm not on google plus. I think that's the only possibility to get this test firmware. There's also a new version of the app (alpha-status I think). Since they're going to officially release 2k in the next firmware, maybe they changed something in the wifi-preview-code. I'm also curious what bitrate 2k will have in the official firmware. I think it will be way too low. Maybe still 12MBIT like the full hd resolution. Do you have any informations about that?
Nope I didn't try it yet, but read here in the forum that there's already 1.3.0 in beta... :)

I don't use wifi preview after recorded what I want I copy everything on pc :)

Try it out: start the camera, enable wifi, start the app and you'll see a very slow and sometimes distorted video preview...

1.3.0 beta? that's very cool. can't wait for it to go official.

Last edited:
Hello Fried,

I look at you custom script 'L" version with A.F.T ../seems you have put 35Mbits on high quality in the preview mode,
2 Mbits is far enough for this mode.
Bye.

Hello Fried,

I look at you custom script 'L" version with A.F.T ../seems you have put 35Mbits on high quality in the preview mode,
2 Mbits is far enough for this mode.
Bye.

Great observation, thanks! @Fried: Can you easily solve this? Would be amazing - then everything would be just perfect for me (and possibly many others). Thanks again for your work!!!

Reactions: Bal
Great observation, thanks! @Fried: Can you easily solve this? Would be amazing - then everything would be just perfect for me (and possibly many others). Thanks again for your work!!!
...here i send you my bitrate table of modes (as xls+pdf) you can see the standard settings and the settings i do for my camera in 30mbps/VBR (changed also medium and low quality). You can also see the lines of preview modes, you can use in the bitrate editor from AFT setting for yourself. I set all to 2.0 mbps in CBR! You can also change to 35mbps in VBR,CBR or ABR if you want.
Enjoy the list...
I hope i could help you.
MFG
gente

Attachments

• my_xiaomi_modes_30mbps.zip
    82.8 KB · Views: 248
hey gente! big thanks! I loaded frieds custom firmware in die editor, edited the preview lines from your pdf and changed it to 1.5MBIT and CBR and it works a 100%. Now everything is like I want it to be: good wifi-preview, higher bitrate (35MBIT) in 1080-modes and a script that simply enables 2k - the bitrate (35MBIT, too) for that was already changed by Fried, but I wonder what lines are exactly for 2k? I'm quite sure Xiaomi will mess official 2k totally up by a way too low standard bitrate...

hey gente! big thanks! I loaded frieds custom firmware in die editor, edited the preview lines from your pdf and changed it to 1.5MBIT and CBR and it works a 100%. Now everything is like I want it to be: good wifi-preview, higher bitrate (35MBIT) in 1080-modes and a script that simply enables 2k - the bitrate (35MBIT, too) for that was already changed by Fried, but I wonder what lines are exactly for 2k? I'm quite sure Xiaomi will mess official 2k totally up by a way too low standard bitrate...
Maybe you can test to change that lines?
Ok whats about your firmware, you changed all high quality 1080 to 35mbps, you changed preview lines to 1,5 mbps (why not 2.0?) and to become 2k you start a autoexec script with setting only the resolution (i see in his autoexec.ash). The bitrate 35mbps in 2k is automaticaly set because of Fried firmware hack (or how do you set this)?
When you change settings via app all scripts are lost (the 2k resolution) and you have to start camera again?
here you have the bitrate adresses: https://github.com/funneld/XiaomiYi/blob/master/autoexec.ash/1.2.10-fw/bitrate_addresses.txt
I think line 6 to 8 are for the 2k resolution (you see in my bitrate table). And they are set to 18/15/12 in the bitrate table of the 23L firmware.

Maybe you can test to change that lines?
Ok whats about your firmware, you changed all high quality 1080 to 35mbps, you changed preview lines to 1,5 mbps (why not 2.0?) and to become 2k you start a autoexec script with setting only the resolution (i see in his autoexec.ash).
Exactly. Yeah, I could have had it adjusted to 2MBIT for preview, but I wanted to test this. I couldn't find any notable difference, when set to 1.5MBIT so I was just too lazy to change it back to 2MBIT.

The bitrate 35mbps in 2k is automaticaly set because of Fried firmware hack (or how do you set this)?
That's absolutely correct!

When you change settings via app all scripts are lost (the 2k resolution) and you have to start camera again?
When I change the resolution via app, 2k is gone (of course), but you can change little things like "lens distortion" (or whatever it's called in englisch, my app is in german) without loosing the resolution and/or bitrate. So far everything is going very smooth here with my 2 xiaomi cams (one 23L, one 23S). I recorded over 1 hour with 2k35mbit without any problems (one hour is exactly 14,8GB, so you get about 4 hours on a 64GB card). I always use a xiaomi powerbank (10000mah) when recording over 45 minutes (works perfectly). With a powerbank like this, you can power the camera for about 15-17 (!) hours. Be sure so remove the battery when recording over 1 hour, otherwise the device is getting too hot. It's getting hot anyway, but removing the battery helps a little bit.

here you have the bitrate adresses: https://github.com/funneld/XiaomiYi/blob/master/autoexec.ash/1.2.10-fw/bitrate_addresses.txt
I think line 6 to 8 are for the 2k resolution (you see in my bitrate table). And they are set to 18/15/12 in the bitrate table of the 23L firmware.
Thanks for the information.

One question for the pro's out there: Why in the world is it not possible for a device like our Yi Cam to recognize a exFAT card and then record without file-splitting??? I really don't like file-splitting. One possible reason could be the safety: When something bad happens only the current file will be lost or broken. That is a reason of course, but I would at least give "one-file-recording" a try...

Last edited:
Exactly. Yeah, I could have had it adjusted to 2MBIT for preview, but I wanted to test this. I couldn't find any notable difference, when set to 1.5MBIT so I was just too lazy to change it back to 2MBIT.

That's absolutely correct!

When I change the resolution via app, 2k is gone (of course), but you can change little things like "lens distortion" (or whatever it's called in englisch, my app is in german) without loosing the resolution and/or bitrate. So far everything is going very smooth here with my 2 xiaomi cams (one 23L, one 23S). I recorded over 1 hour with 2k35mbit without any problems (one hour is exactly 14,8GB, so you get about 4 hours on a 64GB card). I always use a xiaomi powerbank (10000mah) when recording over 45 minutes (works perfectly). With a powerbank like this, you can power the camera for about 15-17 (!) hours. Be sure so remove the battery when recording over 1 hour, otherwise the device is getting too hot. It's getting hot anyway, but removing the battery helps a little bit.

Thanks for the information.
so in your firmware line 6 to 8 are set to 35.0?
Why not 30 mbps, i read this is the best setting in quality and space?
German app for ios?
Where you bought the powerbank?

so in your firmware line 6 to 8 are set to 35.0?
lines 6-8 are 35, 10 and 8. I'm not sure if that's 2k related. maybe I have to change & try it, but for now I'm too lazy. I'm very happy that everything is working perfectly for me. Maybe Fried knows something about it. @Fried: Do you know what lines are responsible for 2k?

Why not 30 mbps, i read this is the best setting in quality and space?
Maybe you're right, but 30 or 35 isn't that much of a difference to me, so I don't really care about a (in my eyes) tiny detail like that :)

German app for ios?
I have the android app, since I'm a hardcore android user (got a custom android firmware on my sony z1 compact).

Where you bought the powerbank?
I recommend to buy the powerbar on banggood.com. Be sure to choose priority mail for about 1,80 dollar or something (it's worth every cent!). choose the 10.000mAh xiaomi powerbank. the old one is 10.400mAh and a little bigger. the new ones are really great (smaller and nice design). and it's always good to buy a rubber case for it, too.
powerbank:
rubber case:

I hope I could help you! :)

Last edited:
Back