Xiaomi Yi Sports Camera - Custom Firmware (Base 1.0.7) - Bitrate Increased to 30Mbps all modes

Thank you. That one is perfect. Please do this for future firmware as well. That would be great.

@Evgeniy: Have you already tried to change Min/Max Bitrate settings? If both are the same, this is cbr right? I guess for vbr a range have to be set. Something like 0.5 / 1.2. Have you tried that already?

"You will now hear a constant beeping for around a minute"

I Followed the steps but yicamera comes on as if nothing had happened, is because I am trying to install it on a firmware 1.0.9 stock?

Update worked fine (place the firmware.bin in the root directory of your card). But i have 8mbps @ 1080p 25fps (quality low), instead of 15mbps.

Update: I got ~25mbps on quality high, so this works as supposed. Only 1080p 25fps @low are not the suggested 15mbps (as I said, i got ~8mbps).

Update2: Medium 1080p 25fps is also working correctly (~20mbps).

So right now in 1080p @ 25fps I can choose between 8 / 20 /25 mbps (low/normal/high) which is far better than stock firmware. Great work :)

Last edited:
At the moment there are 6 HW versions (22, 22L, 23, 23L, 23A and 23S), each of them has a different firmware, does anybody know why? In the official forum tech supports is saying that they haven't got any difference but then there are 6 different firmwares.

BTW: The page where normally we can find the "universal" download address for the firmware is empty, could it be a new version coming?

Regards and thanks for the hard work done here!

bluetooth capability might be in the next firmware update!

Can you copy the firmware file to the Yi through its USB to the SD card. Or do you need a SD Card reader?

Can you copy the firmware file to the Yi through its USB to the SD card. Or do you need a SD Card reader?

sure, yes. I have done it

is there any firmware to get 720p at 240 fps. it had some ppl have the firmware. but i am not able to find it

Sure about that?
yea i am 100% sure. i have asked that person to give me that firmware but he has too much attitude so he didnt reply to my msgs but i saw his comments on facebook. He also told me that its on MIUI website but i didnt find any

Doesnt sound right
gopro also has the same configuration as yi cam has and can record 720p at 240fps , so there are chances that yi cam could do it with a tweaked firmware

Hi !
I really want to buy the Xiaomi Yi, because I really like how natural and neutral it record colors. However, compared to the SJCAM 5000+, the image looks blurry and I saw some people complaining about it, even in this thread. I'm of course not talking about lenses that aren't focused.
In fact it's not that the Xiaomi Yi has a blurry lens but that the 5000+ adds sharpness to video and images (too much though) as the Go Pro does !
So is it possible to customize the firmware and add sharpness ? I do think that Ambarella processor enable us to do this but as I absolutely don't know anything about the software which can modify firmwares and that I don't own a Xiaomi Yi.... I can't find any answer to my question !

Thanks for your help :)

Just found a bug within Xiaomi Yi.
In 1080p and 720p the lens rectification is not correct, if using 60fps. As soon as you record the lens rectification isn't 100% correct. You will see it if you records some straigt lines. In 30 fps the problem does not occure. Seems to be a firmware bug. Not that bad but you will have litte bit of awry video.

lens.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, im following this topic, while waiting for my YI, and im so glad i ordered it now that i know some people can make it even better.
so Thank you Reverend and all the others.

i was reading the specs of the sensor( http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/new_pro/december_2013/imx206_e.html ) and was wondering if it would be possible to change the resolution.
specs says it can do :
2304 (H) × 1296 (V) at 60 fps
and
2304 (H) × 1728 (V) at 30 fps

or even

4608 (H) × 3456 (V) at 10 fps / 12 bits
and
4608 (H) × 3456 (V) at 12 fps / 10 bits

i know this would be a dream, but who knows ?

2304 (H) × 1296 (V) at 60 fps may be great rescaled to 1080p dont u think ?

Back