Yeah ... a cyclist again.

Rajagra

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mini0806
Seriously, why do cyclists think this crap is OK?

It was easier to mute much of the sound than edit out my swearing.
There was no conversation going on, but he was trying to goad me to go fast so he could prove he could make progress quicker in heavy traffic. Which shows he didn't understand the problem. Being able to get there quicker gives you no entitlement to cut in front of people.

With such rude behaviour sooner or later he will get his lesson ( unfortunately ?! )

Thats what i think too niko

I ride a Trek road bike given by a best friend whose health issues put it off limits. Much nicer bike than I'd buy for myself and the only reason I ride. Since I cycle for pleasure, I have the luxury of choosing roads over destinations and on those roads with rare exception motorists extend great courtesy. Once I near had my elbow ripped off and a few times I found safety on the shoulder.

In 2012 Pennsylvania USA passed law with more formalized definition of how cyclists and motorists SHARE roadways. One clear requirement on the motorists is to maintain no less than four feet (4') between the vehicle and cyclist. If clear the law specifically permits the motorist to use the oncoming lane for this purpose no matter what markings. The law also states cyclists have right to travel in the traffic lane with no acknowledgement to the existence of shoulders. The law is balanced between the different travelers, but is very sensitive to the maneuverability and vulnerability of cyclists of all ages at full speed. Not all but many states are and have matured to similar legislation.

Yes, from your video the cyclist appears as courteous as a New York City cabbie; however, he was keeping up with traffic. In Pennsylvania if you and he met with issue in your video, I suspect you would bear all costs while he would endure all injury.

I ride a Trek road bike given by a best friend whose health issues put it off limits. Much nicer bike than I'd buy for myself and the only reason I ride. Since I cycle for pleasure, I have the luxury of choosing roads over destinations and on those roads with rare exception motorists extend great courtesy. Once I near had my elbow ripped off and a few times I found safety on the shoulder.

In 2012 Pennsylvania USA passed law with more formalized definition of how cyclists and motorists SHARE roadways. One clear requirement on the motorists is to maintain no less than four feet (4') between the vehicle and cyclist. If clear the law specifically permits the motorist to use the oncoming lane for this purpose no matter what markings. The law also states cyclists have right to travel in the traffic lane with no acknowledgement to the existence of shoulders. The law is balanced between the different travelers, but is very sensitive to the maneuverability and vulnerability of cyclists of all ages at full speed. Not all but many states are and have matured to similar legislation.

Yes, from your video the cyclist appears as courteous as a New York City cabbie; however, he was keeping up with traffic. In Pennsylvania if you and he met with issue in your video, I suspect you would bear all costs while he would endure all injury.
I'm pretty sure there are rules about cyclists passing cars on the wrong side of the road, and about cutting vehicles off like that. Sure, there are laws for cyclists, but if they don't follow them, then they're fsck'd.. especially when video evidence from our dashcams prove that they're being belligerent "Richards". It's just one of the many many many reasons we have dashcams.

He was NOT keeping up with traffic. He forced me to brake to avoid hitting him.

Note that it was not obvious he was going to go into MY lane.

Also note that he did not do a shoulder check before the final cut into my lane.

He simply ASSUMED he could get away with it, he ASSUMED that because he can make progress faster in heavy traffic that that gives him some right to force motorists to give him priority at all times. He was 100% in the wrong.

In case it isn't obvious, where he came from on the right is a segregated cycle path system designed to keep cyclists safe and moving freely, they even have their own traffic light phases giving them priority. But no, that's not good enough for them is it, they have to treat the whole road (and pavements too) like it's THEIRS above all other road users.

P.S. Just as he pulls in front of me the car in front started braking. What he did was incredibly dangerous, he could have easily got squashed between us. And without camera footage the story would have been "another poor cyclist gets killed by a motorist." Most Londoners would realise the truth instantly but who would have been convicted, eh?

The authorities have got to stop pandering to cyclists and turning a blind eye to their wrongdoings. It is just leading to increasingly worse behaviour and they are putting themselves in more danger than ever before.

Sent from my tap-to-talk using Tapatalk

Last edited:
In 2012 Pennsylvania USA passed law with more formalized definition of how cyclists and motorists SHARE roadways. One clear requirement on the motorists is to maintain no less than four feet (4') between the vehicle and cyclist.
The law is balanced between the different travelers

So does this 'balanced' law require cyclists to also maintain the 4' gap? Because if not it's clearly open to abuse by cyclists, and that's a pretty perverse definition of 'sharing' roads.

In the UK motorists are allowed to cross solid white lines to overtake slow moving cyclists. I think it's always been this way but I'm not certain. Most people seem unaware of it though. Including cyclists, who wrongly reason that a single lane road with double solid white lines means cars mustn't overtake them.

Dont get cyclists that in any way take chances with the heavy traffic like cars - trucks and buses. :rolleyes:

Over here you often see cyclists do a left turn over 1 or 2 lanes just before a intersection to get into the left turn lane ( often without looking for traffic at all )
And cyclists do not belong there.
Cyclists should go strait across the intersection and then at the corner over there wait for no traffic and then cross left ( even if its red light )

He was NOT keeping up with traffic. He forced me to brake to avoid hitting him.

Note that it was not obvious he was going to go into MY lane.

Also note that he did not do a shoulder check before the final cut into my lane.

He simply ASSUMED he could get away with it, he ASSUMED that because he can make progress faster in heavy traffic that that gives him some right to force motorists to give him priority at all times. He was 100% in the wrong.

In case it isn't obvious, where he came from on the right is a segregated cycle path system designed to keep cyclists safe and moving freely, they even have their own traffic light phases giving them priority. But no, that's not good enough for them is it, they have to treat the whole road (and pavements too) like it's THEIRS above all other road users.

P.S. Just as he pulls in front of me the car in front started braking. What he did was incredibly dangerous, he could have easily got squashed between us. And without camera footage the story would have been "another poor cyclist gets killed by a motorist." Most Londoners would realise the truth instantly but who would have been convicted, eh?

The authorities have got to stop pandering to cyclists and turning a blind eye to their wrongdoings. It is just leading to increasingly worse behaviour and they are putting themselves in more danger than ever before.

I don't agree with the cyclist's conduct. Unfortunately, even if you presented a parade of similar videos, I doubt you will get those who assign liability and the related control over your wallet to agree "He was 100% in the wrong.” even less likely without the video.

Some years ago, I matched the small percent of individuals who do not belong on the road with the magnitude of people I daily share roadways and realized I encounter dozens of that small percent. That inspires me to create more room around me and let them go in one ear and out the other.

Yes, I suspect someone will be convincing the authorities he's in the wrong. I hope it won't be me.

if you presented a parade of similar videos
I have long since stopped keeping videos of cyclists taking foolish risks that have become "normal." It is too common, anyone who drives already knows about it.
This incident was however out of the ordinary. I was genuinely surprised that he cut all the way into my lane, especially since he didn't need to.

I do sometimes save clips of cyclists behaving responsibly (looking and signalling clearly before moving etc.) It's so rare that it's worth marking the occasion. And I'm serious about that. I've seen it maybe 6 times in the last 18 months of near daily driving.

Case #1, actually looking before pulling out to overtake a stopped bus. She doesn't indicate, but that's OK because she looked and properly assessed the situation:

Case #2. Now sit down or brace yourself before watching. This one looks, makes eye contact, and signals before moving across.

Last edited:
Thats not how you make a turn like that here, here you stop at the curb when you are in line with where you are going, then wait for no traffic and then cross over the road.
Its also the same you should do if you are on a 30 km/h moped, but if you are on a 45 km/h moped or a motorcycle then you do like that, but then you already belong on the road, where as a cyclist you belong at the side of the road or on the bicycle path.

But try tell that last part to many cyclists here :rolleyes: many think they are a human powered motorcycle.
But you are not, even if traffic is so slow you pass it on a bicycle, you still have to do that along the curb, and cars have to make room for you to do that.
Cyclists are the only ones that is allowed to and must pass traffic on the right side here, all others pass each other on the left including passing cyclists.

And as a driver of a car thats pretty nice as you only have to look for cyclists in one place, and that i think is the safe approach to the problem of mixing the 2 in traffic.

Sadly, if you had hit him, HE would've got full compo & you would've been stung.
Judges seem to use the 3 S's rule, siding with the soft, squishy & stupid. They would call in 'experts' (usually traffic cops) who would testify that, as you saw him wandering across well in advance, you should anticipate the stupid and be prepared.
RiP the days when common sense ruled & the stupid got what they deserved. Nowadays, we have to mollycoddle the morons, allowing them to breed & create more morons.

...you should anticipate the stupid and be prepared.
RiP the days when common sense ruled & the stupid got what they deserved. Nowadays, we have to mollycoddle the morons, allowing them to breed & create more morons.

Referring to the morons - not @sludgeguts

_TIES_SHOELACES.jpg

Sheeee i can still remember the first time i managed to tie my own shoe, i cant remember how old i was, but the pride i do recall, and that it was on the street where we lived between number 33 and 35

So thanks to google, it was right here.
https://www.google.dk/maps/place/Ot...db51d2873!8m2!3d56.1680487!4d10.1861101?hl=da

My childhood neighborhood :D
Nice that your childhood still exists. The two homes I grew up in no longer exist - one neighborhood razed and replaced by multiple manufacturing plants and the other is now a highway. :(

Yeah i grew up in #31, and now my nephew live there but 1 floor up and to the other side :)
Also learned to rollerskate there and ride a bicycle and i was even skateboarding there too before we moved into a house about 2-3 Km west of there when i was 14.

This is a really blue collar neighborhood that was build 1942 - 1953

i was surprised that my childhood house was still there after hurricane Katrina made landfall right there - the eye passed directly over that town. the house was close enough to the water that my brother and i used to ride our bikes down to the seawall and go fishing all the time. sure, the shingles were stripped from the house by the wind, but the house was still standing.

that house also survived hurricane Camille in the 60s. and apparently used to be the master's house on a cotton plantation in the 1800s. everything in that house was solid wood - no need to search for a stud when hanging something heavy on the wall - just drill some pilot holes and screw it in - it'll never budge.

Back