Yi 4K Action Camera - Techmoan's Review

There are still convertors with SCART sockets available! I doubt that many people still use CRT displays though...
There are still a lot of people in a lot of countries using CRT TVs, but the reason DTT convertors are still being produced is because all European countries were using MPEG-2 and most people had only MPEG-2 compatible LCDs. With the change to MPEG-4/HD not many people were interested in buying a new TV, so there is still a market for the convertors.

About the post production, you are right, but here we deal with ACTION camera. You can use a gimbal though it's (very) expensive.

Perhaps, with a form factor and specification of this sort, for many users "here we deal with CAMERA" even if, for most people, as Nigel notes, "ACTION" is the manufacturer's USP.

Perhaps, with a form factor and specification of this sort, for many users "here we deal with CAMERA" even if, for most people, as Nigel notes, "ACTION" is the manufacturer's USP.

And, what is your point?

And, what is your point?

That it's too good a camera for many, diverse applications to be put into just an "action" box, even if that's what Xiaoyi were originally thinking within.

I always thought 4k was a waste of time being a bit of a video geek, however right now I'm always shooting at 4k, because:

-I might want to screenshot from my 4k video, and 4k gives me alot more to play with
-Cropping
-Stabilization
-Video looks better shot 4k downsmapled to 1080p post

The main reason for shooting in 4k is that you can down sample it to 1080p and it does look a bit better.
Otherwise 4k is kind of overkill, you do not need it that much, but some specific things, like shooting landscape, scenery and so on, wildlife etc. That is where 4k really shines.

But that is for personal stuff, when it comes to TV shows, movies and other things, yes then 4k is real nice, but as this is a action camera it has limitations. But sure nice with a upgrade, better or equal to gopro hero 4 black, but with a much nicer price point.

I would realy like to see a "cage" for the camera, so you could have your (future) bluetooth microphone mounted, and perhaps
extra power source and attach a gimbal. A good camera in a super small formfactor and easy to carry around everywhere
anytime, compared to a big mirrorless or dslr.

And image quality is great, as long as you do not use it during bad light or nighttime.

The main reason for shooting in 4k is that you can down sample it to 1080p (...)
You'd still need the proper hardware to do it, so the "problem" remains the same. You can't JUST buy a UHD camera.

Yeah I know you need hardware for it, but people who are into 4k will probably have the hardware or get it,
regardless of it being expensive. For me 1080p is just fine, it is supported everywhere and works well.

I do not need 4k, but I can tell it is great for natgeo, imax and other systems like that, movies etc.

But for personal videos, 1080p is just fine.

Back