Young Driver Gets Rear Ended

Pity we couldn't see the colour of the traffic lights. If the black car hadn't swerved into the middle lane it would have been a different outcome. That's a lesson the young driver needs to learn. You don't brake and swerve at the same time unless you are trying to avoid an accident.

You never breake and steer at the same time. period
I think the person breake for yellow as i assume he/she is suposed to do, but change lane at the same time might be a bad idea in this case.
No doubt the grey car had other ideas as to the changing light, he/she proberly went from floored trottle to floored brake in not time.

Pity we couldn't see the colour of the traffic lights. If the black car hadn't swerved into the middle lane it would have been a different outcome. That's a lesson the young driver needs to learn. You don't brake and swerve at the same time unless you are trying to avoid an accident.
I wouldn't 'call that a swerve from the black car, just a normal lane change. The grey car was going too fast for the approach to a junction, it should have been prepared to stop if necessary. Given that it took about 3 seconds longer to stop than the black car it must have been doing around 40 mph more than the black cars initial 15-20 mph which I suspect puts it well over the speed limit. It also had the opportunity to go around the black car either to the left or the right, plenty of space to use but it failed to take any avoiding action.

Why do the tyres sound like the fake tyre noises in a USA police chase film?

It's the hot tarmac/asphalt that causes the tyre squeal.
Don't the Australians have Australian spec tyres that don't overheat on hot roads?

I think they might have a harder compund down there to compensate for the really high summer temperatures, and from my point of view ditto "hot" winter temperatures.

Choosing the right compund to race on in competetive RC racing cam be a science, and to top that up the pattern you cut in to the slicks.

Use to be gearhead / pitcrew for my friend when he raced these in DK championship.

Why do the tyres sound like the fake tyre noises in a USA police chase film?

Some of the tires that I've had in the past have squealed, some make "scratchy" or gravelly sounds. The tires I used to have on my RX-7 rarely broke traction in the dry, but when they did. boy were they ever LOUD. What a scream. My current tires just make gravelly sounds.

Out of curiosity, I just checked my car crash video, and the pickup that I hit squealed as it spun around. Putting the hot tarmac theory to rest, it was a cold day when I crashed-- I think the temp was around 2 or 3 degrees C that day.

having been racing (in just about any conditions - wet, dry, temps from 28f to 105f, though there was no ice on the ground), i can say tires will squeal in almost any conditions, even in the wet. it really depends on the tire though. ones with high treadwear ratings are hard and when pushed to the limits, will squeal more than soft, grippy tires. that said, grippy tires are usually nearly silent even when you DO break traction, though they can make noise now and then. ever heard a car with racing slicks do a burnout? all you hear is the engine/exhaust and maybe some hissing as the tire slides/spins. there's almost never any squealing except for a split second after they let off the gas and the tire slows back down and finds traction again.

one of my past driving instructors taught me the different tire noises to look out for while racing (on street tires. slicks don't talk to you this way):
"happy tire squeal" is quiet, steady, smooth, kind of an extended chirping, and happens when you're right at the limit of adhesion.
"angry tire noise" is loud, harsh, grating, uneven, and usually much lower and throaty than the happy one, and happens when you've already exceeded the tire's grip.

and since i race in/near Houston, TX, we get plenty of hot days too. hot asphalt is one of the quietest surfaces in terms of tire noise/squeal. concrete is one of the loudest, especially when textured, but it's also the most grippy.

Why did the video cut out like that?
my guess is it's an old/cheap dashcam that doesn't have gapless recording like most decent ones do. my first dashcam actually overlaps - when it's set to one minute loop, 59.75 seconds into the file1, it starts recording file2. one quarter second later, it closes file 1 and continues recording file2... and so on till i shut the car off. it's not ideal but it prevents the situation you see above.

the camera used above must record one file, then close that file, then open a new file. and in that short delay of file operation, you lose a fraction of second (or more depending on how slow things work in that camera) worth of video. in this case, it happened to be right at the point of impact.

also, the tire noise sounds normal to me. also sounded like they didn't have ABS.

Sorry for late reply, I didn't edit out the crash it is a mere millisecounds of lost footage.

This truck has power on always unless turned off by a kill switch,truck is in idle with engine running with Air con turned on full, so camera will record as movement only in 30 second blocks!(not sure wether this is the reason)

The truck when sitting still will record 30 seconds and start a new file with any movement,the file's are 2 minutes while driving,i hope a more tech smart person can answer the reason for this gap..it has no gap when driving??

My camera is older type DOD LS 430,it has done a fine job other than 2 time's I was trying to view a incident.(caught a knob tossing a object at the truck I was driving from pasting car the other day clear as bell arm moving across driver with object hiting cab!)

The set of lights is close to the Monash Freeway onramp some people tend to think they can drive fast before the speed limit change's,the on ramp is a hard left so you need to slow down from 60.(its a posted 60kmh on this part of the road)

I think the car behind was either speeding or distracted as they had plently of time to pull up.(the young driver front shouldn't have changed lane's so close to intersection,its easy to judge from afar I know my recent truck crash is a great example of what the!)The car may have changed lane's as the 2 lane has possible banked up traffic awaing to turn outbound on Monash Freeway.

The temp wasn't overly hot around 28 degrees , I think?, but I had just purchased a ice cream and drink from the store here so warm enough to eat ice cream and a cold drink.(I had just completed a labor sapping job here)

I think it's the front car's fault.
You don't change lane in front of a fast coming car that's trying to beat yellow light and then immediately stop.

but
I think it's the front car's fault.
You don't change lane in front of a fast coming car that's trying to beat yellow light and then immediately stop.
if the light's already yellow and you can easily stop, then you stop - that's what the law says almost everywhere. you shouldn't have to worry about morons behind you who are speeding/texting/facebooking/otherwise not paying attention. as others have pointed out, the silver car in back could have also jumped to the left lane to avoid the crash. based on his speed (and the fact that the black car and lorry were both stopped already) the silver car probably would have run the red light or at least slid into the intersection with his brakes locked up.

that said... there was this movie from the 80s called Starman...
:D

I disagree that the front car should necessarily be able to tell if a car that is well behind it is trying to beat the yellow (when the front car is very easily able to stop for it)-- it's reasonable to assume that if you've got plenty of time to stop for a light, that the guy well behind you should be able to stop for it as well.

One thing that does support some fault being put on the front car, though, is that the front car changed lanes across a solid white line. In Canada (and presumably the US, too) the rule is that you do not cross a solid white line, except in an emergency.

Back