Zenfox T3 insides

Thats also a option that i forgot to add as i was not able to test that myself
My problems was just in regular use scenarios, which in my book are even worse, though of course if parking mode is there it too should of course also work.

I also think most people are not using dashcams for parking mode, not least when in most cases the hard wire kit to do that is a extra cost, and a installation most people are not able to handle them self.
I only use parking mode if it is a option to do in a test sample, personally i dont feel a need for it.

Well the two biggest issues:

1. People don't frequently check recordings, so if the interior cam has stopped due to heat (as setup in newest firmware), people may not notice "until the video they need" isn't there for the taking.

2. Yes, many people simply plug and play to a 12V socket. Not everyone is so inclined to use parking mode. I'll gladly buy a car battery a year or two early for the piece of mind.

have a look at what else is in that list, doesn't exactly inspire confidence
True, but they are all quite good sellers!

I think you are correct that it don't seem likely, given that it is in a Best Dashcams of 2021 list:

christian bale laughing GIF

True, but they are all quite good sellers!
So in your mind that makes them good? Because after all that is their objective, the money, but screw quality control, who cares about customers right?:rolleyes:

Third run oddly went up till 5 hours before the car battery threshold was broken I guess. No indoor cam flaking out. So far so good but I think I need to charge up the car a bit before next test with low bitrate.

More odd, is that the camera didn't boot up when I started the car. Could it be the power supply once cut off, didn't respond to the ACC line? Maybe I have a faulty HK3ACC. Need to observe this further. Didn't happen in the first two rounds of parking testing. I had to unplug the power connector and plug it in, then the camera booted up.

It still fails to wake up after low voltage cut-off on next car startup. That's going to be a problem for parking mode!

Anyway, time lapse parking mode completed without any issues for full 6 hours most of the time, aside from low voltage cut off at 5 hours once.

Will be spending this week testing low bitrate mode before I proceed to flash the firmware to see if that fixes the low voltage non-waking-up issue or not. Otherwise it's pointless using parking mode if it doesn't wake up on its own after that.

It still fails to wake up after low voltage cut-off on next car startup. That's going to be a problem for parking mode!

Anyway, time lapse parking mode completed without any issues for full 6 hours most of the time, aside from low voltage cut off at 5 hours once.

Will be spending this week testing low bitrate mode before I proceed to flash the firmware to see if that fixes the low voltage non-waking-up issue or not. Otherwise it's pointless using parking mode if it doesn't wake up on its own after that.

Either you have a faulty camera or improperly hardwired the camera. Check your fuse selection. I had an issue with my Viofo A129 on my first attempt where locking the car caused the camera to turn itself on after being turned off. Apparently the fuse I selected, even though it didn't have any mention of being tied into another system, clearly did. Upon moving the fuse, all worked fine.

Yesterday, on a 20 min drive out for lunch (the car had been under the sun the whole morning) the camera started beeping about 15 minutes into the drive! The weather forecast says current temperature is 34 degrees so it's not the hottest day yet.

So it seemed like despite all the thermal mangement mods, it still doesn't prevent overheating even on such a short drive. Parking mode had been disabled (power cable unplugged). I unplugged and unmounted the camera from the windscreen to give it some respite from the sun, and the body is almost too hot to touch (around the vents). I would have to put it down if I was pinching the vents for 15 seconds or so, it was uncomfortably hot. I suspect the CPU is experiencing thermal runoff, whereby high temperatures increases the resistance of electrical pathways, and to maintain the performance it bumps up the current used to drive the circuits and then causes more thermal build-up.

@HonestReview I've checked everything (I tapped from the back of my radio unit). If the camera enters parking mode just fine, I'm sure the ACC wire is connected properly. It just doesn't wake up again if the camera has shut off during parking mode (ie, after 4 hours as set in the menu, or upon 12.4v cut off). If I come back to the car after 45 minutes, it will switch back to normal recording just fine.

Anyway, in light of these two situations, I think it's time I write off this product and not continue to try to make it work. On top of that the lower part of the mount seems to be loose. It wobbles a bit when I cross washboard strips. I was thinking of addressing this with a bit of padded sticky tape, but now I'm not too sure if it's worth the trouble.

Yeah. i think we have done what we can for this camera, take more than what we got i recon.

I retired mine about two monts ago to make room for another test unit (70mai A800s). I don't think there is anything else to do with that unit since there is no follow-up with firmware updates from the manufacturer to try.
Seems like a shame but I will not pass it along to someone else to use in their vehicle.

I may use it to do some experimental application sometime.

The T3 was a missed step towards the better multi-channel cams we have today. It was something of an experiment I guess, and it did provide some learning all-around so it wasn't a total waste. It is also a testament to those who put a lot of effort into trying to make it work which is much appreciated (y)

Best to let it die on it's own and move on to the much better cams we have now.

Phil

The T3 was a missed step towards the better multi-channel cams we have today. It was something of an experiment I guess, and it did provide some learning all-around so it wasn't a total waste. It is also a testament to those who put a lot of effort into trying to make it work which is much appreciated (y)

Best to let it die on it's own and move on to the much better cams we have now.

Phil

A missed step being sold on Amazon to unsuspecting customers. Caveat Emptor (buyer beware).

I still have my T3 plugged in and running as a secondary camera. I'm waiting for warmer weather before ordering the A139 and swapping out the T3. Also maybe a price drop since I missed out on the sale. Since at the time of sale, the hardwire kit was unavailable.

Shut down again yesterday after 25 mins drive. Weather app says 35 degrees. I haven't gotten around to re-wiring the power supply kit to disable parking mode (strange observation, time lapse with H.264 produced smaller files than H.265).

Shut down again yesterday after 25 mins drive. Weather app says 35 degrees. I haven't gotten around to re-wiring the power supply kit to disable parking mode (strange observation, time lapse with H.264 produced smaller files than H.265).

Foregone conclusion, at least on the sample Zenfox T3, the units are unreliable. Remind me, is yours a purchased Zenfox T3 or a sample?

Mine is a sample, with some thermal management mods done.

Mine is a sample, with some thermal management mods done.

Wonder if production level models fixed issues or the problems remain. Guess we'll never know since none of us will waste money trying to purchase one.

Last edited:
well it it is problematic, people ( some at least ) would look for answers and probably find their way in here as i an willing to bet that if you search for zenfox T3 this forum will probably be in the top 3 search results.
This still could be a while as far too many set and forget their systems.

well it it is problematic, people ( some at least ) would look for answers and probably find their way in here as i an willing to bet that if you search for zenfox T3 this forum will probably be in the top 3 search results.
This still could be a while as far too many set and forget their systems.

I see tons of Reviews on Amazon. I'm skeptical on how many are legit reviews, and of those that are supposedly legit, the number of people who actually understand the usage of their product. Most people throw their dash cameras into a 12v socket and call it a day. Never taking full advantage of a camera's features. So without someone coming here with a production model, it's really hard to make a determination.

Gut feeling says the problems still exist. I wouldn't waste my money purchasing one to find out. But a fut feeling is not a definitive answer.

I have just had an email from them to do a review on the T3 so unsure what they are going to snd out if its one you have tested already or a updated one. we will have to see what arrives, but im in agreement with what i have read, i would not spend any money on ones as yet what with this over heating issues.

I have just had an email from them to do a review on the T3 so unsure what they are going to snd out if its one you have tested already or a updated one. we will have to see what arrives, but im in agreement with what i have read, i would not spend any money on ones as yet what with this over heating issues.
It will have been updated by now, will be interesting to see, especially with the weather warming up again now!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sendoh_dash Zenfox 3
rcg530 Zenfox 12
kamkar Zenfox 7
R Zenfox 4
Nigel Zenfox 4
Back