Zenfox T3 Triple channel dash cams free test invitation, limited quantity

More news.
Today is been a fairly warm day at 92F with 75% humidity level which is not terribly bad. Went out driving and as usual I always geep my AC running. After about 30 minutes I heard a set of beep beep and I immediately put flag marker location in my mind so I could check the footage for what is what triggered the error at that moment at that location. After reviewing the footage I have found out that the rear camera footage stopped working, few minutes later the interior did stop as well. The front camera did not stop working but I few minutes later I have noticed a drop in bitrate (noticeable image degradation) suggesting that the whole system was affected by the temperature and almost ready to fail completely. If I recall correctly, I had a similar issue a couple of weeks ago while driving and it is very likely it will continue to do the same or worse as we move in to the hottest months of the season. So this issue is definitely not only tied to the parking mode.

Yikes. I've not noticed my camera dying when AC is running. But if I leave car outside on one of the warm days, I have noticed it failing completely. When I hear it beeping, I hit menu button, and it takes me up to recorded videos. But nothing of course was recording while it was beeping. The beeping signifying a problem.

So if this camera is indeed dying even in air conditioned vehicles, then this product isn't going to go over well, parking mode aside.

Need to measure it near the top of the car, not in the footwells, there is a big difference.
Any old thermometer will do, doesn't need to be digital or IR.
If you are getting a digital one then it would be best to go for one with a probe, as was suggested above, otherwise the LCD tends to turn black and be unreadable if you leave it near the camera.

Zenfox already knows the exact precise temperature reading when it shuts cameras off, he/she has the software. Might have a good idea of the air temperature too, although it would help to know if you are at sea level in a damp swampy area or at high altitude in very dry air, and there is always a possibility of a manufacturing issue, maybe it's not performing as it should.

You've got @EGS in Texas and others on here seeing exact issue. His camera is even failing with the AC blowing. I've not had my camera stop while the car is on and AC is on or windows opened. However, I have come out to my vehicle to hear the camera beeping. When I hit the menu to activate the LCD, it takes me to mode where you play videos. And all recording has ceased.

You've got @SawMaster in South Carolina. A very hot and humid place in summer, too.

Meaning if this camera is cutting out for me in parking mode, and @EGS while driving, I don't think this product will pass muster. Regardless of where it's being tested. As I pointed out earlier, about 2/3rds world will experience hot summers of 25-30C easily. And this camera isn't capable of handling those temperatures what so ever.

I'd like to have a readout of the temperatures overlaid. I want that before I go purchase a thermometer. It'll allow me to compare interior temperature against the heat when cameras shutoff.

Reactions: EGS
I also had to take a 45+ minute drive around 1:30pm today to get some paperwork done, parking mode was not in use. It was 94F and mostly cloudy on the way there with the AC set at 75F the entire time. At the destination, the dash (black) temp was 105F, top of windshield was 115F and the T3 exterior maxed out at around 143F. On the 45 min return trip, the sky was partly sunny with an outside temp of 98F and after arriving, the interior temps were each about 4F higher than before. I downloaded all footage and found no gaps, shutdowns or loss of image quality based on file sizes.

This is a good example of why having the sensor temp embedded in the videos could be useful and allow each of us to more accurately determine the rate of temperature rise within the camera and possibly identify suboptimal mounting locations as well as any significant variations between product batches. Say for instance I measure a case max temp of 145F and the camera reports 165F with no abnormalities, but someone else measures the same case max of 145F yet their camera reports 190F and shuts down. That would be a more definitive and useful data point than simply knowing that one car/camera combo shuts down at only 92F ambient yet another combo can run at 98F without issues.

KuoH

Today is been a fairly warm day at 92F with 75% humidity level which is not terribly bad. Went out driving and as usual I always geep my AC running. After about 30 minutes I heard a set of beep beep and I immediately put flag marker location in my mind so I could check the footage for what is what triggered the error at that moment at that location.

Also, I must mention that I got the ac blowing in to me. Not to the windshield, not to the floorboard, only to me and passenger side, but it should bring some of the entire cab temperature down ...

I think you could use your IR thermometer on the outside looking in at the camera through the (clear) glass. It seems to work on the wood stove, and the camera is black for a good reading. I guess have to avoid the frit.

I also had to take a 45+ minute drive around 1:30pm today to get some paperwork done, parking mode was not in use. It was 94F and mostly cloudy on the way there with the AC set at 75F the entire time. At the destination, the dash (black) temp was 105F, top of windshield was 115F and the T3 exterior maxed out at around 143F. On the 45 min return trip, the sky was partly sunny with an outside temp of 98F and after arriving, the interior temps were each about 4F higher than before. I downloaded all footage and found no gaps, shutdowns or loss of image quality based on file sizes.

This is a good example of why having the sensor temp embedded in the videos could be useful and allow each of us to more accurately determine the rate of temperature rise within the camera and possibly identify suboptimal mounting locations as well as any significant variations between product batches. Say for instance I measure a case max temp of 145F and the camera reports 165F with no abnormalities, but someone else measures the same case max of 145F yet their camera reports 190F and shuts down. That would be a more definitive and useful data point than simply knowing that one car/camera combo shuts down at only 92F ambient yet another combo can run at 98F without issues.

KuoH

What we need to figure out is if these cameras are failing under the same operative conditions or if different batches reacting differently to heat. Narrowing down the possibilities will also help @Zenfox_Official determine if our problems are quality control related or an issue across the board.

I don't recall my first camera powering down completely. Only the rear and interior. I might throw that back in my car and subject it to hot days when we get one enough to cause a failure. Just to see if the front camera eventually fails on that one, too. Although, I suspect with both cameras losing rear and interior, I'd get the same failure on the front with enough time in the sun.

As I pointed out earlier on, my front window blocks 20% of sunlight (80% Tint). And rear blocks out 80% with 20% tint.

I'm not sure where else to really go with our testing. I think any moves forward hinge upon feedback we get from @Zenfox_Official.

may not be supported by the hardware

You're experienced with these conditions in Australia. While the Street Guardian is only a Duo Channel setup, do your cameras overheat in your hot summers? Or have they been designed to withstand all extremes? If any place knows hell on earth, it'd be the Aussies.

Do you have any thoughts or input on how @Zenfox_Official might garner useful data if temperature monitoring is unsupported?

What we really need to narrow down is whether this is a quality control problem with each batch reacting differently to heat or if this is an across the board problem with all their cameras.

I think you could use your IR thermometer on the outside looking in at the camera through the (clear) glass. It seems to work on the wood stove, and the camera is black for a good reading. I guess have to avoid the frit.
You will probably measure the temperature of the plastic lamination within the glass windscreen!

they don't overheat, different processor though, the 4k capable processors run a lot hotter to start with

Maybe technology has hit its apex until better cooling methods are devised. I do wonder if a quality thermal paste was used, and if the aluminum heatsinks utilize a copper base, if higher temperatures could be withstood on 4k cameras.

More news.
Today is been a fairly warm day at 92F with 75% humidity level which is not terribly bad. Went out driving and as usual I always geep my AC running. After about 30 minutes I heard a set of beep beep and I immediately put flag marker location in my mind so I could check the footage for what is what triggered the error at that moment at that location. After reviewing the footage I have found out that the rear camera footage stopped working, few minutes later the interior did stop as well. The front camera did not stop working but I few minutes later I have noticed a drop in bitrate (noticeable image degradation) suggesting that the whole system was affected by the temperature and almost ready to fail completely. If I recall correctly, I had a similar issue a couple of weeks ago while driving and it is very likely it will continue to do the same or worse as we move in to the hottest months of the season. So this issue is definitely not only tied to the parking mode.
Going back reading posts from several days back, I have found the post where I made a report regarding this issue, I just wasn't quite sure. It is on page 26 post #517. Once again, that one happened while driving. I do not use parking mode.

I suppose this tape helps to add protection and rf shielding to the ribbons connecting to the front and interior cameras, but why is it sandwiched between the CPU and the heatsink block? does it have good or better heat conductivity than heatsink compound alone? I have never seen something similar in the past. Doesn't mean that is wrong but I'm compelled to learn more about it, the pros and cons from someone who has direct knowledge on it's application.Screenshot_20200630-211939_Gallery.jpg

@ jokiin, you could probably answer my last question ;)

not clear from your picture what's going on there
I took this picture about two weeks ago and didn't pay much attention until later when I was reviewing those pictures but certainly sparked a question. I will take a closer more detailed picture soon.

I agree. So lowering bitrates is the very first step in troubleshooting. Unfortunately, if lower bitrates don't correct the problem, then a decision needs made.

1. Do you run it as a 2 channel for park mode. Against making sure the camera doesn't overheat on 2 channel.
2. Do you retool the case, ask the manufacturer to use a better thermal paste instead of gluing the heatsink onto the cpu, and get things working properly?

I would like to get my handles on a Vantrue N4. It is a 3 channel camera with parking mode and apparently good reviews? So 3 channel is possible without overheating. @Zenfox_Official needs to look at existing products on how to make his work reliably.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B083V6K8RH

Can say Vantrue N4 doesn't overheat (with the temperature we live in, haven't experience hot summer days yet). Have one installed on my parent's vehicle. Works flawlessly, not sure about parking mode though since I didn't buy a hardwire kit for it and didn't turn on parking mode features.

I suppose this tape helps to add protection and rf shielding to the ribbons connecting to the front and interior cameras, but why is it sandwiched between the CPU and the heatsink block? does it have good or better heat conductivity than heatsink compound alone? I have never seen something similar in the past. Doesn't mean that is wrong but I'm compelled to learn more about it, the pros and cons from someone who has direct knowledge on it's application.View attachment 52426

Excuse my ignorance but the item with the red and black wire, is that the supercapacitor? I know this camera doesn't have a battery, so I presume that would be the capacitor? That looks like a data cable ribbon???? Correct me if I am wrong there. And why on god's green earth its mounted under the CPU seems mind boggling? Couldn't that alone be cause the cameras to overheat? I mean it's absorbing the heat generated off the CPU.

Reactions: EGS
Back