Zenfox T3 Triple channel dash cams free test invitation, limited quantity

FWIW, I always have my primary cam system going or a back-up when I do cam testing. I see no sense in trusting an unknown product :cautious: I usually mount my test cams to the upper corner of my windshield on the drivers side so I can better keep an eye on things. I've got a dedicated 5V cable from a dedicated PS there just for this purpose. If it seems good enough it might get moved to the center, but then my test location will get a known good cam placed there just in case.

I've still got a lot of work to do to make my system permanent and finished, but there will always be a dedicated spot for cams under test ready for plug-and-play use.

Phil

+1. Never remove a functioning product to test out an unknown. @Major153 says he had a few near misses that the T3 failed to capture. Proof of concept right there. Stick with what you got and supplement it with any test cameras.

That's an excellent idea! I got too excited. I wanted the same vantage point to maximize vantage point. But you put it very well - should run both in parallel.

Run them side by side. Not much lost in vantage points. That's my setup.

20200619_175516.jpg

Thanks Phil - that's good advice. Just curious on your setup.
I can picture a suction cup mount in the top corner for testing. But how do you deal with the 3M sticker mounts? Just install and remove as required? What happens when you run out of type for the mount? :p

I use that on my Viofo so I can pivot it if ever needed (police, etc). It works pretty good. Once in a while it'll lose suction. I adhered the T3 with the 3M adhesive. I really hope this camera gets rectified or I've got a nice long day ahead of me with a blow dryer and fishing line to remove both front and rear without damaging the tint.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B000FGI9R0

Reinstall the Viofo. The T3 isn't ready for prime time. Hindsight is 20/20 but it's unwise to remove a known and functioning product in exchange for one that's being put through testing.
Good advice. I just reinstalled the Viofo.

Nice setup! (y) Thanks!

Good advice. I just reinstalled the Viofo.

Nice setup! (y) Thanks!

You're welcome. Not sure how much you've followed this thread but we're waiting to now hear back on @Zenfox_Official's results. He said he was investigating. Camera has overheating issues where Rear, Interior, and eventually front camera disables. Loss of recordings / random corruption. So the bugs are major, which could result in missed footage, as you mentioned.

My Viofo saved my butt already when I got rear ended. Insurance company tried to argue, and I whipped out the video. You've never seen someone shut up so fast. The insurance company's neck turned 180 so fast, it must have had whiplash. So you never want to expose yourself to liability by removing proven products during any of these betas.

Glad my pictures helped!

FYI.....Had bitrate set to maximum. Im dropping it to medium. Camera spent entire day driving or parked freezing. Maybe Medium will yield better results.

FYI.....Had bitrate set to maximum. Im dropping it to medium. Camera spent entire day driving or parked freezing. Maybe Medium will yield better results.

After the FW update, I tried changing bitrate to High (not maximum). Seemed to get complete footage today. It was cold today though 14°C... So could be a combination of factors.

Happy Independence Day y'all!

After the FW update, I tried changing bitrate to High (not maximum). Seemed to get complete footage today. It was cold today though 14°C... So could be a combination of factors.

Happy Independence Day y'all!

My camera is overheating while driving on Maximum. I've given up any further testing. Either a firmware update resolves this issue or there very little else to be done, unless Zenfox ships us out new and improved units. So wait and be seen approach atm.

My camera is overheating while driving on Maximum. I've given up any further testing. Either a firmware update resolves this issue or there very little else to be done, unless Zenfox ships us out new and improved units. So wait and be seen approach atm.
I agree... the silence is speaking for itself lately. There is nothing else to report at this time in its current state until new fw is offered for more testing. Camera keeps shutting down in warm days.

The heat sink in the T3 are actually pretty large,,,,,,, yes i peeked as my GPS issue had me looking for a loose plug inside.

Curious. Is the heatsink glued to the processor or can it be detached? I'm wondering if a nice coating of good thermal paste might solve the overheating problem.

From your picture:

1593892169598.png

I agree... the silence is speaking for itself lately. There is nothing else to report at this time in its current state until new fw is offered for more testing. Camera keeps shutting down in warm days.

If Zenfox doesnt resolve, I'm wondering if a nice fresh coating of quality thermal paste, and some holes drilled in the case, might resolve overheating.

If Zenfox doesnt resolve, I'm wondering if a nice fresh coating of quality thermal paste, and some holes drilled in the case, might resolve overheating.
It seems that in your car, the camera is lying almost flat due to the low angle of the windscreen, so the bottom air vent where the air should go in is not on the bottom, if you are going to drill holes, drill one in the actual bottom. Not convinced it will make enough difference for your parking mode though, I think you are asking for too much?

I am sure it is put on either with a dual sided thermal pad, or thermal glue in paste form.
Either way this make it probably a no go if you want to take it apart.

Even regular thermal pads can get problematic, actually in some weeks i will be taking the original cooler of my 5800 XT GFX card to put a full cover H2O cooler on it, i am fearing how well it stick together now after over a year of use.

It seems that in your car, the camera is lying almost flat due to the low angle of the windscreen, so the bottom air vent where the air should go in is not on the bottom, if you are going to drill holes, drill one in the actual bottom. Not convinced it will make enough difference for your parking mode though, I think you are asking for too much?

Not really when everyone else is experiencing the issue when it gets warm outside. The vents aren't blocked at all as the T3 only has vents on the side. Seems to be inadequate and possible design flaw leading to overheating. Also, the camera isn't flat against the windshield either. Look on page 47. Also here are two images of the camera. Either way, none of us have expectations that exceed what the camera advertises. It overheats during normal recording and parking mode.

I was more curious if @Zenfox_Official decides to abandoned everything if there's a way we can retromod this camera with better cooling to overcome the problems.

mod.jpg

mod2.jpg

Reactions: EGS
I think you are asking for too much?
Of course! you say that because your camera is enjoying the benefits of a cooler weather and consequently you don't feel the need to address this issues.

The vents aren't blocked at all as the T3 only has vents on the side. Seems to be inadequate and possible design flaw leading to overheating. Also, the camera isn't flat against the windshield either.
My point was that your windshield appears to be fairly flat at the top, means the bottom vent is closer to the level of the top vent, which will reduce the airflow due to convection compared to my car.

If you really do only have a vent on the side, that would explain why yours has more problems than mine!

My point was that your windshield appears to be fairly flat at the top, means the bottom vent is closer to the level of the top vent, which will reduce the airflow due to convection compared to my car.

If you really do only have a vent on the side, that would explain why yours has more problems than mine!

Took camera off mount and looked, it does have a bottom vent. Didn't see it due to tint. Also checked second camera, has vents in same place. Camera is not sitting against windshield and bottom vents are not touching windshield.

So Zero chance that's an issue.

Of course! you say that because your camera is enjoying the benefits of a cooler weather and consequently you don't feel the need to address this issues.

If Zenfox is marketing to Alaska, Antarctica, Greenland, Russia, Northern Sweden, Finland, Norway, and the UK, he's set. Anywhere else and this camera won't work. As the slightest hint of warm weather and the camera commits harakiri (suicide) when it stops recording.

If Zenfox is marketing to Alaska, Antarctica, Greenland, Russia, Northern Sweden, Finland, Norway, and the UK, he's set. Anywhere else and this camera won't work. As the slightest hint of warm weather and the camera commits harakiri (suicide) when it stops recording.
I know... for right now it is suitable for a slim group of countries. In the other hand I still think they can adjust the temperature cutoff threshold. At least I hope they have room to do that. I really want for them to succeed on this one. The GPS is also another significant issue that needs to be addressed let's not forget.

Places in Siberia reached 38C/ 100F degrees already this year :eek: No place on this earth (save for Antarctica maybe) it can be counted on to function properly year-round.

Just a friendly reminder to all the members here that you can edit and change all your previous posts including the first ones you have made in this thread
so that someone first discovering it will get the message you intend for them to see without them having to go through this entire thread to find that :rolleyes:

From my chair it seems that Zenfox does not seem to think that the overheating issue is significant or needs addressing, but there IS still time to change that position and address this and the other discovered problems properly. If that doesn't happen, the Vantrue N4 3-channel will be eating all the goodies from his plate leaving him none o_O

Phil

Back