Zenfox T3 Triple channel dash cams free test invitation, limited quantity

I only have one originally posted by Zenfox in this thread.

KuoH

Is that the "Updated One" on the website or the one before that? I want one before the updated on website.

I don't think you will be able to get that version from any of us other than Zenfox. The version that came with the camera was never posted on their website.

Remoted cams are the way of the future for many reasons. I think there's a reluctance from some manufacturers to invest in making them because it's nearly an unknown market. The cam heads can be made quite small and the CMOS doesn't add heat to the processor unit which can stash anywhere. The K2S cams are amazingly small I can't see any way to make things more discreet. Another plus is that those small cams can mount wherever you like in almost every car so instead of compromising for mirrors and sensor modules you can get a perfect location. When 4-channel cams become more common I think they'll mostly be all-remote lens models just to remove the limitations of form-factor.

Phil
I've been toying with the idea of trying out a blackbox style recorder for awhile now, but unfortunately they're still stuck in Exmor generation and have not been updated with Starvis sensors.

So far, all the commercial and 'truck' cam systems have had low resolution on all but one cam at best, and the sensors were a generation or two behind dashcams (which are also not 1st gen cutting edge technology). It seems like those systems aren't going to improve much, as they really aim to fill a slightly different role than what we use our cams for. And the security cam systems are in a similar place, as they needn't cope with high-speed movement. There's more to it than the hardware being used; for our purposes the only cams suitable are dashcams/action cams, or if you have the space a larger videocam meant for cinematic purposes (and those don't do well at night). But all is not lost ;)

We've seen the 1st generation of 3-channel dashcams, and like any first effort there have been problems found with them. And Blackvue (or was it Thinkware?) announced at CES last year that they were working on a 4-channel cam which we might see within another year or less. The second generation of 3-channel cams is now beginning to emerge with the Viofo A139 which isn't going to be a huge step forward but is meant to address the discovered issues of the 1st gen cams, and from what I see at this point I think it's going to be the first truly viable 3-channel dashcam. I'm not free to say much more about it right now but I will say this: If you want a 3-channel cam you should wait for it's market release which shouldn't be too far away. It is at worst going to be superior to these 1st gen efforts like the T3 and it might end up being more than that :cool:

I'm not sure where it will all end, but I think that is going to be a system with all-remote cams, a separate 'black box' processor with advanced cooling, and possibly even a separate module for memory which may not be in the form of SD cards. Each piece of the puzzle already exists in some form, so it's just up to somebody to put the pieces together well enough to get us the performance we need, while finding a way to do that at a marketable price. Dashcams have always developed incrementally rather than by leaps and bounds, and unless someone gets bold enough to jump this far ahead what I envision is still several years away.

Phil

So far, all the commercial and 'truck' cam systems have had low resolution on all but one cam at best, and the sensors were a generation or two behind dashcams (which are also not 1st gen cutting edge technology). It seems like those systems aren't going to improve much, as they really aim to fill a slightly different role than what we use our cams for. And the security cam systems are in a similar place, as they needn't cope with high-speed movement. There's more to it than the hardware being used; for our purposes the only cams suitable are dashcams/action cams, or if you have the space a larger videocam meant for cinematic purposes (and those don't do well at night). But all is not lost ;)

We've seen the 1st generation of 3-channel dashcams, and like any first effort there have been problems found with them. And Blackvue (or was it Thinkware?) announced at CES last year that they were working on a 4-channel cam which we might see within another year or less. The second generation of 3-channel cams is now beginning to emerge with the Viofo A139 which isn't going to be a huge step forward but is meant to address the discovered issues of the 1st gen cams, and from what I see at this point I think it's going to be the first truly viable 3-channel dashcam. I'm not free to say much more about it right now but I will say this: If you want a 3-channel cam you should wait for it's market release which shouldn't be too far away. It is at worst going to be superior to these 1st gen efforts like the T3 and it might end up being more than that :cool:

I'm not sure where it will all end, but I think that is going to be a system with all-remote cams, a separate 'black box' processor with advanced cooling, and possibly even a separate module for memory which may not be in the form of SD cards. Each piece of the puzzle already exists in some form, so it's just up to somebody to put the pieces together well enough to get us the performance we need, while finding a way to do that at a marketable price. Dashcams have always developed incrementally rather than by leaps and bounds, and unless someone gets bold enough to jump this far ahead what I envision is still several years away.

Phil

Nice! But wasn't the Zenfox a "Viofo" backed endeavor? Or so we all suspected. So does the A139 live up to the true Viofo Expectations? Does it support parking mode and live recording of all 3 cameras?

No option to try parking mode on the A139, but mine are always recording as far as i can tell, no sudden stops like the Zenfox.
Also a much better form factor with the rear and interior cameras remote.

If Viofo can provide a parking kit, or the already existing kit work with the A139 i might well give that a spin, i have a feeling the A139 will be on my windscreen for a while.
I am also very eager to share more info and footage from it when i am allowed to.

Phil

I'm seeing buses using domestic CCTV setups powered by AC inverter, or the DVRs have some kind of DC input as well. Covers up to 8 locations in and around the vehicle.

Thanks for the tip in! Will hang on to my hat for awhile then.

No option to try parking mode on the A139, but mine are always recording as far as i can tell, no sudden stops like the Zenfox.
Also a much better form factor with the rear and interior cameras remote.

If Viofo can provide a parking kit, or the already existing kit work with the A139 i might well give that a spin, i have a feeling the A139 will be on my windscreen for a while.
I am also very eager to share more info and footage from it when i am allowed to.
My A139 came with the HK3, so I presume it is sufficient. I'm only just getting into testing- loaded the app yesterday at dusk. I'll switch from both wires to ACC to split for parking mode testing tonight. I did take a peek at the few 'default' vids I had, and they're very very nice (y)

Phil

Last edited:
It should enter parking mode after 5 minutes if there is no movement and you turn parking mode on in the menu, does not need a HWK.
Although after a firmware update my parking mode has currently stopped working so it does depend on the firmware you have.

Just spoke to Bill on mail, totally blew out that this cam is USB C where as all older viofo cameras and their power sources are not. :rolleyes:

Just spoke to Bill on mail, totally blew out that this cam is USB C where as all older viofo cameras and their power sources are not. :rolleyes:
Yes, Sawmaster must have a special test version of the HK3.

well one with my DIY skills could ditch the ( micro / mini ) plug and put on a C plug i am sure, though i would probably have to go get that little tip for my soldering station i have threatened to get for years.
But maybe Viofo already have some in production so they are RDY for launch day, that would make sense as i am sure a few would want to use parking guard.

Don't have the bag anymore, but I'm fairly certain it was marked HWK3. It is USB-C.

Phil

HK3 or another New Hardwire Kit. HWK3? If it uses the regular Hk3, that'd be great! I wouldn't have to reinstall a brand new hardwire kit. Merely take the second one I use for the Zenfox and use with the 3CH Viofo if I am selected to participate. I just filled out their form.

Had a rough few months. Which is why I have barely been online much.

well one with my DIY skills could ditch the ( micro / mini ) plug and put on a C plug i am sure, though i would probably have to go get that little tip for my soldering station i have threatened to get for years.
But maybe Viofo already have some in production so they are RDY for launch day, that would make sense as i am sure a few would want to use parking guard.
Maybe it's easier to try find a mini USB to USB-C adaptor tip. It could be pretty hard to find, I've only ever seen micro USB to USB-C tips.

For record-keeping sake, I measured the Zenfox T3 with 3 channels active, WiFi off and GPS searching (indoors) with a USB power meter:
Screen off : 5.10v 1.24A = 6.32w (the current reading fluctuates between 1.17A to 1.31A, but most often read it at 1.24A)
Screen on : 5.12v 1.34A = 6.86w (the current reading fluctuates between 1.21A to 1.40A, but most often read it at 1.34A)

Looks like there's not too much power saving to be had by putting more channels onto one CPU. I read two DDPai single channel dashcams at 1.7w (IMX307 FHD) and 2.6w (OS05A10 5MP, with GPS). You could run 2.6+1.7+1.7w and still be using less power than Zenfox. The concentration of heat could be leading to increasing resistance and the creating more heat, like a thermal runaway situation.

Interestingly, Zenfox is not all dead. They have recently listed parking mode power supply on their website! Somewhat different exterior aesthetics from Viofo item, most notable being the straight mini USB connector and the body box doesn't seem to have any ventilation holes.

Zenfox 3-line Hardwire Kit for Parking Mode Low Voltage Protection

1611801863957.png

Back